UGA hires Mike White

gravejd

I thought this was an interesting move by UGA. They decide to quickly take White off FL hands after firing Crean. My impression of the Mike White tenure at FL is that he consistently disappointed. Seemed like FL was always talked about as being really good but was rarely actually really good while he was there. Is this the safe hire for UGA after being bottom for so long are they just looking for someone to get them to middle of the pack in SEC? Kind of feels that way to me. Less risk vs an up and coming coach but upside seems low. 

22 hours ago, gravejd said:

I thought this was an interesting move by UGA. They decide to quickly take White off FL hands after firing Crean. My impression of the Mike White tenure at FL is that he consistently disappointed. Seemed like FL was always talked about as being really good but was rarely actually really good while he was there. Is this the safe hire for UGA after being bottom for so long are they just looking for someone to get them to middle of the pack in SEC? Kind of feels that way to me. Less risk vs an up and coming coach but upside seems low. 

I think what they are trying to do if replicate what happened with their football team.  Get an elite recruiter and just out-talent the other team.  My understanding at Florida was that White was a great recruiter but could never put it all together on the floor.  With all of the talent inside the state of Georgia, I think that is all White needs to do aside from getting great assistant coaches.  Hopefully this doesn't work and Bruce continues to develop a stronghold on the state of Georgia.

Edited by abw0004

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I can tell you Gators fans/AD Scott Strickin are ecstatic his gone.

Yup. This is a huge W for Florida and a huge L for Georgia, IMO. Georgia is taking a coach that consistently under performed at a top 3 SEC program and expecting him to turn around a program that hasn't been out of the first round of the tournament since 2002 and hasn't made a Sweet 16 since 1996.

• Like 1