Auburn Men Capture 15th-Straight SEC Title; Women Take Third

bootskii

We're still in first place with the men but UF made up some ground. The women still in third place and are 90 points behind UGA. They may pass UF for second I don't see them catching UGA. As for the men it going to be tight to the finish.

Auburn Men's Swimming & Diving team just won their 15th-straight SEC title! Thats extremely impressive..

I am trying to find the finals but can't.

Didn't see it myself, but it was posted on AU's facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/AUAthletics

Auburn Men's Swimming & Diving team just won their 15th-straight SEC title! Thats extremely impressive..

Well that's what it says. Hope it right my god 15 in a row. Dang just remarkable.

Well that's what it says. Hope it right my god 15 in a row. Dang just remarkable.

Yeah, thats the text-book definition of "domination"

Congratulations to the Auburn Men's Swimming and Diving Team!!!!!  :bow::happydance:

What a remarkable accomplishment and what an impressive group of athletes!! I'm so proud of these kids!

:wareagle:    :believe:

I realize this has nothing to do with recruiting or with football, but I saw this and had to post it. Move it if you have to.

The Auburn men's swimming and diving team captured its 15th-consecutive SEC Swimming and Diving Championship title Saturday at O'Connell Center hosted by the University of Florida.

Auburn won with 799 points, while Florida was second with 782 points.

"This is the way this meet is supposed to be," coach Brett Hawke said. "The SEC is an extremely tough conference and Florida always gives us a run for our money. We have a tough team and winning the SEC title is a part of who we are. We have a tradition of excellence and this is an amazing team. I couldn't be more proud of their fight and will to hold on in the end."

The conference crown was the 17th title for the Tiger men overall, all coming in the last 18 years.

The finish marked the 10th year in a row that the Tigers and Gators have finished 1-2 in the SEC meet. The 17-point difference was the closest finish between the two teams. Last season, Auburn topped Florida by 19 points, 784-765.

Meanwhile, the Auburn women finished third overall with 563 points. The Georgia women won their second-straight title with 720 points and the Gators took second with 678 points. The third-place finish was the 15th year in a row the Tigers have finished third or better.

Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace tied an NCAA record in the women's 100-yard freestyle with a time of 46.81. That broke an eight-year NCAA record of 47.00 held by Olympian Natalie Coughlin. Vanderpool-Wallace, a native of Nassau, Bahamas, was named SEC Female Swimmer of the Year.

On the men's side, with an 11-point lead over the Gators heading into the final event, the sprinting quartet of Adam Brown, Karl Krug, Drew Modrov and Kohlton Norys never let up as the team finished first in the 400 free relay with an NCAA "A" cut time of 2:49.95, besting the Gator team by two seconds.

The Gators took a 576-550 lead following the evening's first event of the 1,650 free, but the Tigers rallied back in the final five events starting with the 200 back.

The Auburn backstrokers did what they had to do to give the Tigers a solid lead after two events. Sophomore Kyle Owens logged a career-best and an "A" cut time of 1:40.36 to finish in a close second, while junior Max Murphy swam a "B" time of 1:42.89 to take third.

Also scoring points in the 200 back were a pair of seniors in Norys and Jared White. Norys was sixth overall in a "B" time of 1:44.16, while White was 11th in a "B" time of 1:45.59.

The Tigers gained more ground in the team competition after the 100 free as four Auburn sprinters competed in the championship final. Brown clocked the evening's top time of 41.92, capturing an "A" cut time and the nation's fastest time in the event so far.

The win is the 15th overall 100 free win in Auburn history and the ninth year in a row a Tiger has been on top of the podium in the event.

Senior diver Dan Mazzaferro was named SEC Male Diver of the Year and was one of two to take the men's SEC Commissioner's Trophy. Diving coach Jeff Shaffer was named the SEC Men's Diving Coach of the Year for the fifth-straight year.

SEC MEN FINISHES

1.  Auburn (799)

2.  Florida (782)

3.  Tennessee 602.5)

4.  Georgia (496)

5.  LSU (271.5)

6.  Alabama (271)

7.  South Carolina (217)

8.  Kentucky (199)

SEC WOMEN FINISHES

1.  Georgia (720)

2.  Florida (678)

3.  Auburn (563)

4.  Tennessee (466.5)

5.  LSU (393)

6.  South Carolina (252)

7.  Kentucky (236)

8.  Arkansas (210)

9.  Alabama (195.5)

10. Vanderbilt (78)

The Auburn divers will next compete at the 2011 NCAA Zone meet in Athens, Ga., March 10-12. The Auburn women will trave; to the 2011 NCAA Championships, March 17-19, in Austin, Texas, on the campus of the University of Texas. The Auburn men will travel to Minneapolis, Minn., for the men's NCAA meet, March 24-26.

Auburns "other" teams do not get near the recognition they deserve...I wish we could get more excited and supportive of them. I know it would help if some coaches, and they might, help the students and alumni recognize this. I drove by the Aquatic Center this past weekend. It was non too impressive for the awards and championships they have won.

DWSTD War Eagle

This is legendary! I doubt anyone will ever come close to what Auburn has done in college swimming and diving. Also congrats to Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace for setting the NCAA record in the 100 m freestyle. WAR EAGLE!

:believe:

This is why AUBURN is AUBURN...and everyone else..well they are just food in the tank!!!!

WAR EAGLE and congrats to our swim and dive team for again proving that AUBURN stands alone on top of the world!!!

Archived