Auburn vs Alabama Game Thread

Tiger Growlin

Do we have anyone that wants the ball?????  Anyone wanna take a shot???  Seriously guys, this is what you came here for, to play basketball.  

I'd kind of hope they came for the education, but I know what you mean.  :P

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow how painfully obvious we are not a basketball school.

This is the type of mentality that gets us absolutely nowhere. If you wanna go by your standards, no team in the SEC is a basketball school outside of UK.

For us to be good the players, coaches, AND community have to buy into what's going on at Auburn.

This is the type of mentality that gets us absolutely nowhere. If you wanna go by your standards, no team in the SEC is a basketball school outside of UK.

For us to be good the players, coaches, AND community have to buy into what's going on at Auburn.

^^^This. I'm tired of being labeled as a school that only cares about football. I love football as much as anything (sports-related) but I've always loved baseball from playing it, and basketball games are almost as exciting as football games to me. I want us to get to where we are competing for SEC titles in every sport. I refuse to use "we're a football school" as an excuse for why we lose a basketball game. I will say that Alabama shooting 40 free throws to our 20 is a little sketchy, but we also need to hit more than 10.

I watched a team lose a basketball game by one point many years ago. At the end of the game that team's fans were livid. They accused the refs of costing the game. The refs, according to the fans, missed a walking violation at the end of the game that, if called, would have prevented the other team from hitting the winning bucket. "The refs cost us the game" was all I heard. I had to call BS on that one. Why? Why was I not in sympathy with the cry "the refs cost us the game?" The losing team missed 17 foul shots. In a case like that, "the refs cost us the game" is a crock full. It's an excuse for failing to execute one of the most important yet often overlooked aspects of the game. Hit yours and it doesn't matter that they shot 40. You win anyway.

kingofhill, we got your point brotha :laugh::thumbsup:

Gotta make freethrows. That's the game of basketball.

Sorry to rant so much about it. It just really ticks me off when a college team can't hit them. Two years ago Memphis missed foul shots at a crucial time and lost in the championship game. Had they hit the foul shots, they'd have had to give up the title when the NCAA busted them. My son and my daughter played basketball in high school and four years of college. They both shot over 70% from the line through high school and college. Lebo's teams lost some big games because they couldn't hit foul shots. Now we're seeing that same thing all over again. It's so fundamental. Again, I hate to rant about it but if you hit them you win, most of the time.

You're right kingofhill. But when you have only one 2 SEC wins, frustration sets in when a win against your rival at their place is so close within your grasp, but you lose it at the last second. I didn't get to watch the game, just heard it on the radio, so I didn't see the fouls. I just raise my eyebrows anytime I see a game where the free throws are so lopsided. We haven't hit free throws all year though, and it finally came back to bite us (if it hasn't already before). I like the fight we're showing though. We did a national championship in football 2 years after going 5-7, so basketball can bounce back, and I believe that it will. I don't know if it was the probation or what, but at some point, the high profile recruit basketball players stopped wanting to come to Auburn. I think that is over with now though, and we will start pulling in more. Hopefully Trevor Lacey  :trampoline: although it's probably a long shot

You do realize that we lost a bunch of guys to injuries and players just leaving right? What Barbee has done with what players he has left is pretty good if you ask me. I get upset because I hate to lose also, but keep in mind that if we had gone to overtime, we may not have been able to finish, it's that thin. What this team has done this year is all due to coaching and hustle. If you don't have bodies on the floor, it's hard to win a bunch of games. Give Barbee time.

You do realize that we lost a bunch of guys to injuries and players just leaving right? What Barbee has done with what players he has left is pretty good if you ask me. I get upset because I hate to lose also, but keep in mind that if we had gone to overtime, we may not have been able to finish, it's that thin. What this team has done this year is all due to coaching and hustle. If you don't have bodies on the floor, it's hard to win a bunch of games. Give Barbee time.

Give Barbee time and a dang break. We were 17 point dogs. Many things could have won us the game. Foul trouble,foul shots, missed shots, yada,yada. I'm not looking for a moral victory, but they did a damn fine job when all things are considered. It's his first year with few players that truly would even be on any other competitive D1 program. Our time will come.War Eagle.

Give Barbee time and a dang break. We were 17 point dogs. Many things could have won us the game. Foul trouble,foul shots, missed shots, yada,yada. I'm not looking for a moral victory, but they did a damn fine job when all things are considered. It's his first year with few players that truly would even be on any other competitive D1 program. Our time will come.War Eagle.

I could not agree more.  What Barbee has done with what he has is nothing short of incredible.  Once he gets his players in here, it will be a different story.  Coach Barbee has shown me that he knows how to coach and he knows how to motivate players.

I am very hopeful for the future of Auburn BB with him as our coach.

War Eagle!!

:wedance:

I could not agree more.   What Barbee has done with what he has is nothing short of incredible.   Once he gets his players in here, it will be a different story.   Coach Barbee has shown me that he knows how to coach and he knows how to motivate players.

I am very hopeful for the future of Auburn BB with him as our coach.

War Eagle!!

:wedance:

Well said weegs,tt and TungstenGT. Could not agree more.

missing free throws is unexcusable.  If auburn shoots 65 percent from the line, they win. but 50. its sad when i watch middle school girls shoot from the same line as au bball players and they rarely ever miss. there is no excuse for missing free throws.  that being said, the officiating was horrible. how does au have 4 guys foul out in a game. ridiculous 27 or 51 pts from the line.40 attempts. are you serious. basketball really needs to get a grip on the ft disparity in its games.  lastly, if auburn doesnt want to be known as a school that only cares about football, they need to have fans start showing up at games. the last 2 saturday games have been listed as sell outs but the crowd is at best half full. if the scholarship people that buy tickets dont want to show up, then give your tickets to somebody that does. other schools use aus apathy about basketball in recruiting.  this needs to change

Langford is going to be really good, and when Barbee gets a true point guard and some big bodies in the paint, watch out. This coach has the swagger and the ability to motivate these players like Tungsten said, and we are going to be a bigtime force in the coming years. It only takes a couple of recruiting classes to rebuild a basketball team so expect this team to be in the hunt for the SEC title in the next couple of years.

They haven't been great ,I'll be the first to state the obvious. What Coach Barbee has done with the hand he has been dealt this year, speaks volumes about the man. If anyone thinks he isn't the coach of our future ,you're not paying attention. I'll agree with you about the support and attendance. As with almost any sport, results often end up dictating many things and certainly fan support is one of those things. The new arena is a thing of beauty and the students have helped us tremendously with their very vocal support. I live in a Bham suburb, unfortunately a 7pm tip doesn't allow for a lot of out of town people to attend when it's a weeknight game. That is not new ,we've had to work around that distance problem at AU for years during the BB season. Weekend games obviously are different.

What Weegs, tt, and tungsten said. We should all be proud of this team for keeping it competitive. This is a team that many thought wouldn't win a single sec game, and we were double digit underdogs tonight. Instead, we've already won two, beat a very good FSU and MSU team, and came dreadfully close to upsetting Florida, LSU, Georgia, and bammer. And Florida and bammer are damn good teams (Man that hurt to say). The fact is Barbee coached circles around Grant last night, and no matter how much this loss stings, I know that soon, we'll be an elite team capable of beating anyone

Anybody who says negative things about Barbee at this point is either not paying attention or just not aware of what he actually has accomplished. This team has gone from "the worst team in NCAA history and one that would not win an SEC game" to two wins and almost a 2nd on the road against a Alabama the West champions. Auburn has not made free throws in years and it will take more then 1 season to get that straightened out, it is a mind set as much as anything. It is shocking to hear even one person talk bad about this team after the effort and heart they showed last night on the road against a team with much more talent. Auburn is coming and it will happen within a few years so long as Barbee is left alone to continue building this team....

Langford is going to be really good, and when Barbee gets a true point guard and some big bodies in the paint, watch out. This coach has the swagger and the ability to motivate these players like Tungsten said, and we are going to be a bigtime force in the coming years. It only takes a couple of recruiting classes to rebuild a basketball team so expect this team to be in the hunt for the SEC title in the next couple of years.

I like this post. What do all great teams have? A great point guard. Once we get one, which I would say that our last great one was Doc Robinson, we will be lethal. I expected all this to happen this year, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I'm ready for basketball to get back to contending

I like this post. What do all great teams have? A great point guard. Once we get one, which I would say that our last great one was Doc Robinson, we will be lethal. I expected all this to happen this year, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I'm ready for basketball to get back to contending

Man, when we get some ballers on the plains, Auburn Arena will be making Utah State's gym look like a high school gym! Gonna be LOUD!!!!!!!

Anthony Grant knows he was out-coached last night. He feels AU BB breathing down his neck, because a team with little talent, in an away game, almost beat his much better team on the strength of absolutely outstanding coaching.

We may not be winning many games this season, but the other coaches have to be worried about what's coming down the pike from AU in the future with better personnel.

I expect AU to  consistently dominate the SEC in a few years time with Barbee at the helm. And I see no reason why we can't win a BB championship as well. I think we can make a run. Everything is in place now, except some new talent on the floor. Once we have some better players....look out!

Archived