Barbee talks contract and attrition....

Q & A with Coach Barbee

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn men's basketball Tony Barbee saw plenty of progress in his first year on the Plains, although the results weren't reflected on the scoreboard until late in the season.

Now in the midst of his second offseason since he was hired from UTEP, Barbee feels more comfortable in his new home. He also doesn't have to worry about dodging movers and construction workers preparing the Auburn Arena for its debut season.

Barbee talked to reporters Tuesday morning about a variety of topics, including his unsigned contract and the prospect of player attrition during the summer.

(How much progress was made during post-season workouts?)

"Well, the spring workouts were fantastic. After the conclusion of the season I set the bar for where I expected us to be, as far as the level of work we had to put in this spring and summer. So in the limited amount of time we had to work with the guys after the season ended until school was out, we got a lot of productive work in.

"And now, unfortunately with the NCAA rules, where we can't physically be with our guys. It's on them to continue the work because I think we laid a great foundation for what to expect in terms of how hard my guys play, how hard these guys compete.

"But obviously it was not good enough. We've got to continue to get better individually in terms of skill level and we've got to continue to grow physically, in terms of just general strength. We got manhandled in a lot of games. So that's where the bar has been raised, and now it's up to them to continue it through the summer."

(Who are the leaders who can help run the show while coaches aren't there?)

"I'm still looking for that. And that was one of the things that was not a positive coming out of the year, is that nobody really established themselves from a players' perspective as a leader of the team.

"I think we all expected Frankie to fill that void. But once the injury occurred and it took him away from being with the guys day-to-day in the grind of playing and practicing, all those things, it's hard to be that type of leader. Even though he tried, when you're not there in the bunker with those guys, it makes it hard.

"Now with him back, pretty much, physically, and with Varez's experience and success that he's had on the Division I level, I think Frankie and Varez can step into that void that we didn't have last year. But again, that's not me picking a leader. A leader shows himself to everybody. And right now that hasn't happened."

(What's the status of signees Willy Kouassi, Bernard Morena and Cedrick McAfee? Will they enroll this week?)

"Still don't know. Obviously the NCAA eligibility center works at its own pace. We're still waiting for the three guys to get through the eligibility center. Obviously Willie and Bernard have both graduated. So that process should be moving along soon, we hope. And Cedrick doesn't graduate until the end of this week, so I doubt he'll be able to be here for the first (summer) session. But it just depends on how they get through the eligibility center."

(All three will qualify?)

"Yeah, we fully expect all three of them to be here. They took care of business this year and they're going to be a big part of the future of this program. So we'd love for all three of them to be here all summer, because all three want to be here. But that's kind of out of our hands. It's in the NCAA's hands and through that eligibility process, which, there are a lot of people who are trying to get through that process now. So hopefully our guys are somewhere near that pecking order near the top."

(Has there been any roster movement since the end of last season?)

"No decisions have been made in terms of roster movement at this point. Obviously there's going to have to be some. You look around the country right now, I think the numbers, there's over 330 Division I transfers right now on the transfer list, so things happen. You've got players that become unhappy with coaches and coaches who become unhappy with players, so there is attrition at programs all across the country. Not just ours. So I expect that there's going to be some movement, but right now I haven't determined who that's going to be."

(Could you add any new signees to the three you already have?)

"We're still actively recruiting. There's no question. We have to upgrade the level of talent on this roster. We'll continue to pursue players I think will make us better. In terms of talent, we're always looking to improve our roster from a talent standpoint."

(When will your contract be signed and are there any hurdles still in the way?)

"There are no major roadblocks. I've made it be known I had no interest in negotiating my contract through the season. I wanted my focus to be solely on this team and making sure we were competing at a high level. And it wasn't just the season, it was the season and spring recruiting, which should end tomorrow. Once that ends, and I can put my full attention and focus on that, I expect it to be done - can't put a date on it - but rather soon. It's in the lawyer's hands right now, and I haven't seen the latest version. But from the feedback I've gotten, it's very positive. It should be signed and ready for everybody to view here in the next seven to 10 days."

Thanks for the article. I feel very well now after that read regarding the basketball teams future...Barbee is a clear cut winner and I for one am very much looking forward to Auburn wining the West next season and becoming a consistent power the next few years...Thanks again for posting this...

Beat me to the post.  It is nice though to see Coach speak in a positive manner about the contract.

So who gets the axe?  2 have to go. 

I say Neysmith and one of either Forbes or Ty Armstrong get the axe. 

I think Neysmith and Armstrong....I think CTB likes Forbes' toughness....

per a poster on another site Armstrong didn't make his grades and will be seeking a transfer.

I think Neysmith and Armstrong....I think CTB likes Forbes' toughness....

agreed.  Forbes really improved over this past season.  He is a good rebounder and tough post player, but he just needs to learn better positioning and offensive moves.  A full offseason under Barbee will really benefit him.

Why can't you cut an upcoming senior?  If not them, then who?  Dear god, please tell me it's Chubb. 

I don't think what class a kid is in or will matters to TB. Go back and read his comments again. He says that "players become unhappy with coaches and coaches become unhappy with players." He also says "we're still actively recruiting and always look for ways to improve the talent level." I really believe his only concern is getting the best product on the floor he can.

Why can't you cut an upcoming senior?  If not them, then who?  Dear god, please tell me it's Chubb. 

Here is my question, why are we not allowed to talk bad about recruits (p.s. I aggree with this policy), but a person can talk bad about a player on the team. Chubb could become a glue player on this team the next two years, so why people continue to talk about him I will never understand. Neysmith, would be in his fifth year of college and his dad is a good friend of Coach Barbee's. I would not be suprised to see him be a GA this year.

okay, i have a question and it reguards finbaum show today.  I was flipping through cause traffic was slow and commercials on the vulcan and classic rock 99.  he was speaking with shame and he was acting of Coach Barbee were already on the way out.  I was trying to find out what happend but I cant listen to him for more than a few minutes and then shame went into another cam rant of course so it had to end.  Was this the article they were getting so worked up over?  Was it simply cause Barbee hasn't signed his contract?  If so, then shame and the rest of the dykers are really really grasping for anything to throw at AUburn.

okay, i have a question and it reguards finbaum show today.  I was flipping through cause traffic was slow and commercials on the vulcan and classic rock 99.  he was speaking with shame and he was acting of Coach Barbee were already on the way out.  I was trying to find out what happend but I cant listen to him for more than a few minutes and then shame went into another cam rant of course so it had to end.  Was this the article they were getting so worked up over?  Was it simply cause Barbee hasn't signed his contract?  If so, then shame and the rest of the dykers are really really grasping for anything to throw at AUburn.

It's the kissing cousins Fartbaum and Shame. What do you expect?  ;D

PEOPLE NEYSMITH OR FORBES ARE NOT GETTING CUT THEY ARE UPCOMING SENIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does that matter?!?! Neysmith brings NOTHING!!!

PEOPLE NEYSMITH OR FORBES ARE NOT GETTING CUT THEY ARE UPCOMING SENIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neysmith's father is a somebody on AAU scene. We need all the help we can get there.

Neysmith's father is a somebody on AAU scene. We need all the help we can get there.

Exactly.

neysmith brings his dad..... that is more than enough in atl

Neysmith,Forbes and Chubb are not being cut they have already been assigned a room for next year the players were talking about it on twitter

According to the conversations on Twitter, everyone has been assigned a room.  Still, 2 of them have to go. 

Then shouldn't this relationship start delivering some recruits????

Then shouldn't this relationship start delivering some recruits????

Andre Malone and Noel Johnson come from that AAU team. I don't if it's because of TN's dad but I suspect it didn't hurt.

So its not him...but his dad... #ohok

Right and it was only Anthony Komara and not his father too.

So its not him...but his dad... #ohok

Archived