SIAP: Orson Charles cleared by the NCAA for his role in the Miami scandal

auburn123

This is so weird, but apparently if one school does something wrong in your recruitment, you can still play at another school.  :dunno:  This concept that seemed so un-American and so legal mumbo jumbo-ish to so many a year ago now seems to make perfect sense to some of those same people.  :dunno:

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2011/08/17/georgia-te-orson-charles-cleared-by-ncaa-on-miami-matter/

He's cleared even though a coach (now reformed no doubt and working for Saint Nick) allegedly brought this young man to a booster's house for a recruiting pitch.  Here's what Shapiro then did: “Hell yeah, I recruited a lot of kids for Miami,” Shapiro said. “With access to the clubs, access to the strip joints. My house. My boat. We’re talking about high school football players. Not anybody can just get into the clubs or strip joints. Who is going to pay for it and make it happen? That was me.” 

I guess opinions change now that " the foot is on the other hand" (a reference to the movie Airplane for you youngsters out there). 

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

I guess this is the same as with Cam.  The only school at fault was Miss St.  Cam and Auburn are in the clear.  Right, NCAA? 

Can we get the same quick response UGA got?  Apparently not when Nicky is pulling strings at the NCAA.

This makes the 2nd player from GA cleared by the NCAA in record time??

What does CMR have on them??

Seems like people said the same thing about us when we got Cam's eligibility restored in one day. Quick rulings don't bother me, regardless of who gets them.

The school going and offering money is different than the recruit going to them and asking for money. If a player takes anything though he is ineligible no matter where he goes.

The school going and offering money is different than the recruit going to them and asking for money. If a player takes anything though he is ineligible no matter where he goes.

And yet this player did "take" something when he enjoyed the benefits he received during his visit with Shapiro.  Having said that, I think the NCAA did the right thing here just like they did with Cam.  Don't punish school A for something that happened at school B.

I guess this is the same as with Cam.  The only school at fault was Miss St.   Cam and Auburn are in the clear.  Right, NCAA? 

Can we get the same quick response UGA got?  Apparently not when Nicky is pulling strings at the NCAA.

Nicky isn`t pulling any strings at the NCAA; just saying. There are a lot of problems out there but that isn`t one of them.

I guess this is the same as with Cam.  The only school at fault was Miss St.   Cam and Auburn are in the clear.  Right, NCAA? 

Nicky isn`t pulling any strings at the NCAA; just saying. There are a lot of problems out there but that isn`t one of them.

I wouldn't say he is pulling strings either. I would say that his relationship with Emmeret could lead to indirect benefits. The problem you get is that, in all reality, college athletics is a small club. That being the case, it is going to be hard to have people running that don't have relationships with other people in the sport.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I think Urban Meyer said it best the other day (I'm paraphrasing), "The problem is a human problem."

Archived