Watching the replay of BCS championship game

ausewell14

You can definitely tell that on both sides of the ball, there was loads of senior leadership. Bynes, Etheridge, Wahington, Clayton, etc on defense. Pugh, Ziemba, Zachery, etc on offense. I believe that our talent level now is superior to what we had last year, but it is the leadership and experience that is difference. The only that helps that is time and reps. On offense, we have as many if not more playmakers and I feel like our defense is more athletic just not as experienced. I'm jazzed about seeing this current team grow as Auburn men and gain experience to become fantastic football players who put monkey-stampings on opposing teams.

The thing is we had a ton of seniors on defense and two NFL defensive tackles and our defense was still one of the worst in the SEC. Our offense was great and possibly the best we have ever had at Auburn.

This

Very true. But they were a very impressive fourth quarter defense and that comes from leadership and experience. Our offense was brutal and the funnest offense I have ever watched at AU or anywhere for that matter. All I am saying that with experience this defense can become a really good defense.

The thing is we had a ton of seniors on defense and two NFL defensive tackles and our defense was still one of the worst in the SEC. Our offense was great and possibly the best we have ever had at Auburn.

This

Not our Rush D! Our rush D, I believe, was 11th.

This

Not our Rush D! Our rush D, I believe, was 11th.

I know but 9th in SEC Pass Defense, 9th in Yards per game, and 8th in points allowed with the best defensive player in football and with little to no youth on defense, which is our current excuse now, is pretty sad.

So what will it take to get back to a top 10 national defense like in 2004? Can we get there with our current players and recruits but a different coord? Or do we have to have different caliber players and new coord? Or can our current coord get our current players to that level? Just asking because it would be great to get to that type of defense again.

Good sound situational defense, that's what AU had last year. When a stop or big defensive play was needed they came through. Also due to their experience they were not pushed around, and were lights out against the run...which is a necessity in this league. Comparing the two defenses is like nite and day.....AU lost their starting MLB and safety...two tough losses

You might want to keep that replay handy, because if they first four games of the season are any indication, we might not have much to get excited about going forward, other than young players getting some much needed PT.

Archived