I Stand by Coach Chizik

TigerTaz

I believe he made the wrong hire in Ted Roof.  That on top of the youth (especially in the trenches) is the reason for our troubles this season.  I think CGC thought Roof had a lot of experience and that he would be able to work with Roof to make the Defense great but it's not working.  To Chizik's credit he turned around 5-7 under CTT in 2008 to 8-5 in 2009 to 14-0 and National Champs in 2010.  This year we KNEW this was a transition year.  In fact, we're going to finish with more than the 5 or 6 wins that most of the media predicted and go to at least the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

As a fan I HATE losing like we lost yesterday. I HATE IT.  At the same time Chizik could not have fired Ted Roof after last season.  We won the NC and the Defense improved a LOT from the 2nd half of the Iron Bowl all the way to the BCS NC. 

Chizik did win the NC last year and he made all the decisions that led us to that NC. Chizik DESERVES the right to make the changes needed to get the AUBURN Defense back to where it's expected to be at Auburn.  He is a defensive guy and I can imagine he is embarrassed as can be at the way the defense has played.  He will make the changes necessary to turn the defense around.  In the meantime I will stand by this team and they need a great crowd the next couple of weeks to support them.  Especially Nov. 26th!

I stand by Chizik and I think most people do.  He has done a great job.  Its just very apparent that roof is not the right guy to run the defense.  We are 11th in the conference in defense.  Does anyone think that Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and kentucky have better defensive talent than Auburn?  We are 86th in the country in defense.  There is no way in hell that there are 85 teams with better talent on defense than auburn.  NO WAY.  Anyone who is familiar with the defense we are supposed to be running needs only to watch our linebackers play just a couple of series to see that they are horribly coached.  At least one of them is out of position every pass play.  That is 100% a lack of coaching.  We wont be able to compete in the sec on a consistent basis until we start playing defense like an Auburn team should.  An sec team can't expect to win championships by depending on their offense out scoring everyone

Of course I stand by Chizik.  He must learn from his mistakes and correct them. If he does both of those things starting immediately after the bowl game, he has a chance to have a long career at AU.

wde

Until recently, I was on board with letting Coach Roof have on more year (next year) to show he can get the job done. I figured that things could turn around once all these young guys had a year of football under their belt. But last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. Im done listening to the youth excuse. Teams around this conference are littered with underclassmen who make an impact. LSU's sophomore class is paying MASSIVE dividends for them right now. I don't believe this is a talent issue. We have plenty of guys on defense who could've played anywhere in the country. Especially the young ones. What bothers me is we have shown little to no improvement over the course of the year. This is a trend that goes back 3 years.

The fact is, these past 3 defensive units have been the worst in Auburn history. For the first time ever, in 2009, an Auburn defense allowed 300+ points. The 2010 defense repeated that feat. This year's unit is on pace to allow 400 points. Im done blaming depth. We have had 3 very good recruiting classes, 2 ELITE recruiting classes. Very little to show for it. Auburn has been playing ball for what?? 120 years?? You don't think that over that 120 year span we have had depth issues before?? Youth issues??? Attrition issues??? Yet Ted Roof's 3 defenses have managed to shatter every record of defensive ineptitude in AU history.

This shouldn't be a difficult call to make. Just look at where we were defensively when Ted Roof got here. 3 seasons later, look at where we are now..... Someone please tell me, in 3 years, where has their been improvement?? In what area?? at what position???

When the OFFENSE can't make plays and stay on the field for longer than 3 and out, it puts a lot of pressure on an already thin and inexperienced defense. That is not Coach Roof's fault. The offense is not clicking, and that's a huge part of the problem. The OL isn't giving Mosely any more time than they did Trotter....

This coaching staff is a great one, and if fans would be patient and let them plug in the missing pieces, Auburn would be consistently winning championships on down the road. But all this pressure to fire coaches, and bashing them along with calling out players by name over and over is not going to help anything, and it sure isn't the answer.

When the OFFENSE can't make plays and stay on the field for longer than 3 and out, it puts a lot of pressure on an already thin and inexperienced defense. That is not Coach Roof's fault. The offense is not clicking, and that's a huge part of the problem. The OL isn't giving Mosely any more time than they did Trotter....

This coaching staff is a great one, and if fans would be patient and let them plug in the missing pieces, Auburn would be consistently winning championships on down the road. But all this pressure to fire coaches, and bashing them along with calling out players by name over and over is not going to help anything, and it sure isn't the answer.

Im sorry but this argument doesn't hold water. If you are talking specifically about a few games this season (UGA, LSU, ARK) Then yes, the offense struggling had alot to do with the defensive problems. But this is a 3 year trend. Last year we had perhaps the greatest offense in Auburn history, yet the defense was statistically the worst in Auburn history. Our offense was capable of scoring quickly, and it could also slow things down eat up clock with long drives.... yet the defense still allowed over 30 points a game and was the worst in the league in many categories. This isn't a blip, it is a trend. What Im trying to say is, it doesn't much matter how the offense performs, the defensive has been very bad, and thats the bottom line.

I don't believe that anyone is defending or can make excuses for that performance yesterday. WE Are The Auburn Tigers Not The Memphis Tigers! Year one everyone said that it was a lack of depth. Year two everyone said that the type of fast paced hurry up type offense that we were running caused the lackluster defensive numbers. This year it was youth and now the "word" of the day is inexperience. I believe there is probably some validity to those arguments. But what concerns me is the lack of improvement and the lack of fundamentals. Someone mentioned that on other teams that sophomores are making big contributions. We are not seeing that as much on this team. Either it is coaching or those highly recruited players were not as good as we thought that they were. The lack of development concerns me. And I agree that this years problems have been as much on the offense as they have on the defense. We need to accept that at this time we have alot of problems. Defense, fundamentals, lack of pressure on the QB, woeful secondary play, players not lined up properly, soft and lack of aggressive play just to name a few. Offensive line miseries, lack of QB development, one threat at wide receiver, lack of blocking by the wideouts just to name a few. And alot have mentioned a problem with strength and conditioning. Who Knows? I expected seven wins this year, didn't expect to win every game. But that Georgia game really concerns me. I'm sure that Coach Chizik sees much more than any of us. Question is: What will he do to fix it? This is a test of his leadership and I personally hope that he is mad and stays mad. This team needs some aggressive leadership now to get it's attention. I want to see Coach Chizik kick some butt when it is needed. These leadership decisions won't be easy but if they are not made and things continue on a similar path next year, I can see the seat getting warm going into the 2013 season. Personally I trust him to make the right decisions and to do what it takes to right the ship. I really believe that he loves Auburn.

Archived