Tony Barbee's record

ShugFan

As you all can see, he showed improvement every year he was at UTEP, and he has shown improvement at Auburn. I firmly believe next year could be a 20 win season.  He's building a program we can all be proud of and I am very excited about the future of Auburn basketball.

Season      Team             Overall Conference

UTEP (C-USA) (2006–2010)

2006–2007     UTEP 14–17 6–10

2007–2008     UTEP 19–14 8–8

2008–2009     UTEP 23–14 10–6

2009–2010     UTEP 26– 7 15–1

UTEP:           82–52 39–25

Auburn (SEC) (2010–present)

2010–2011    Auburn 11–20 4–12

2011-2012    Auburn 15–15 5–11

Auburn:          26–35 9–23

Total:           107–87

Agree!! We are fortunate to have him as our coach.

:wedance:

I agree totally.  Most of the casual basketball fans either don't realize or forgot how badly Lebo left the program.  I have complete faith in Coach Barbee getting us on top soon.

War Eagle!!

As you all can see, he showed improvement every year he was at UTEP, and he has shown improvement at Auburn. I firmly believe next year could be a 20 win season.  He's building a program we can all be proud of and I am very excited about the future of Auburn basketball.

UTEP (C-USA) (2006–2010)

2011-2012    Auburn 14–15 4–11

Auburn:          25–35 8–23

Total:           106–87

The improvement Barbee's UTEP team showed between years 1 & 2 is not exemplified in AU between last year and this year.  We're gonna have about the same conf. record, and unlike last season, we will not have beaten a conference team on the road. The few extra wins this year are from the likes of Bethune and Florida A&M, 2 of the worst teams in D1 basketball.  Langford was Mr. Bball 2 yrs ago and has really not been much of a factor his first 2 years. EJ Ross, the team's leading scorer last year, left and will be pushing to start for Mizzou in the SEC East next year. Ward and Johnson have had a battle coming back from injury.  Sullivan's shown flashes, but usu. in losing efforts. Chubb is just Chubb.  I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the results of this year, as I expected much more, like about a .500 record.  This team isn't mentally tough, and it's cost them 3 or 4 wins that they otherwise may have gotten, to get the conference record to about that .500 mark.  I definitely believe Barbee gets 2 more years, but if drastic improvement isn't made toward that 20 win mark next season, I believe his Barbeehind will be on the hot seat in year 4.  I like CTB, and I want him to succeed here.  I just thought much more improvement would have been made by this point.

UTEP (C-USA) (2006–2010)

The improvement Barbee's UTEP team showed between years 1 & 2 is not exemplified in AU between last year and this year.  We're gonna have about the same conf. record, and unlike last season, we will not have beaten a conference team on the road. The few extra wins this year are from the likes of Bethune and Florida A&M, 2 of the worst teams in D1 basketball.  Langford was Mr. Bball 2 yrs ago and has really not been much of a factor his first 2 years. EJ Ross, the team's leading scorer last year, left and will be pushing to start for Mizzou in the SEC East next year. Ward and Johnson have had a battle coming back from injury.  Sullivan's shown flashes, but usu. in losing efforts. Chubb is just Chubb.  I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the results of this year, as I expected much more, like about a .500 record.  This team isn't mentally tough, and it's cost them 3 or 4 wins that they otherwise may have gotten, to get the conference record to about that .500 mark.  I definitely believe Barbee gets 2 more years, but if drastic improvement isn't made toward that 20 win mark next season, I believe his Barbeehind will be on the hot seat in year 4.  I like CTB, and I want him to succeed here.  I just thought much more improvement would have been made by this point.

Perhaps if Langford had not missed the last 10 or so  games, and Ward and Johnson had not had the injuries you mentioned  the .500 conference record would have come this year.  If you are EXTREMELY disappointed with this years results maybe  you haven't followed as closely as you could have.

Sadly, we have never been a real basketball "power". Over the years we have had some strong players, teams and some good years.

I firmly believe that given time, Coach Barbee will be the best chance we will have of becoming a power. He came into a team that was all but non-existent. Give the man some time. He had to literally rebuild from the ground up.

UTEP (C-USA) (2006–2010)

Perhaps if Langford had not missed the last 10 or so  games, and Ward and Johnson had not had the injuries you mentioned  the .500 conference record would have come this year.  If you are EXTREMELY disappointed with this years results maybe  you haven't followed as closely as you could have.

I have been following as closely as possible, each and every game! I admire your optimism, but we just disagree, which is OK. But please articulate to me in detail all this improvement that you've been able to recognize between last year and this year. We both love Auburn and want them desperately to put not only a respectable product on the floor, but a championship-winning one (I didn't expect anything close to a title run this year!). AU's best win this year is going to be the South Florida win a few months ago. I think AU's best game was the KY game for the first 34 minutes, but the games are 40 mins long and it just got away from the good guys that night. To me AU and USCe stayed the same and the rest of the SEC improved last year to this year. I do look forward to hearing your reply.

Basically, this year has been an extension of the first year. None of Barbee additions have been a factor due to injury this year. You have to remember that last year he lost to the NC Ashvilles of the world. There has been improvement and if he gets this team to play  40 minutes instead of 30 (that they have this year), you'll see marked improvement.  :believe::wareagle:

Basically, this year has been an extension of the first year. None of Barbee additions have been a factor due to injury this year. You have to remember that last year he lost to the NC Ashvilles of the world. There has been improvement and if he gets this team to play  40 minutes instead of 30 (that they have this year), you'll see marked improvement.  :believe::wareagle:

Great line.

Yep, this.

Let’s start with pre-season play.

Last year’s record was 7-7.

That included losses to teams like SAMFORD, Campbell and Presbyterian College. At home!

This year’s record is 10-4.

The losses are to Seton Hall (19-10), Long Beach St. (22-7) Florida State (20-9) and UTEP (15-16). NONE at home.

The improvement there is very obvious.

Now for SEC play

Last year’s record was 4-12

Through the first 8 games last year we were 1-7.

This year’s record is 5-11.

Through the first 8 games this year we were 3-5.

Obvious improvement again. (especially up to that point)

The last half of this season we lost Josh Langford for all games and several players to suspensions and injuries.

I would argue that with everyone present all year we would have won a couple more SEC games this year. Even without everyone available we still had a better record. 

I concede there were games this year where we played great for 35-38 minutes but faded at the end.  That is a depth and experience issue - not a talent or coaching issue. 

Regardless of what people think about what degrees of improvement have been made, to be able to get a coach like Barbee when we did (again, we had arguably the worst program in all of the country last year when he was hired... remember that) is nothing short of amazing.

We are very fortunate to have Barbee. He's a bright young coach, and he is going to get us back in contention for the NCAA tourney. I'm not putting a timetable on it -- it's gonna take him a couple more years to build the talent AND depth he needs to consistently win in this conference -- but he will get us there. Mark it down.

No doubt, AU needs several things in order to become a player in the SEC. First, they need a quality big man, someone who can clog up the middle and can knock down about 15-18 pts a game. More importantly, this team needs to be able to hit FT's, especially late in the game. But, to be honest , I really don't remember the last time AU was consistent at the FT line.

But, AU is known as a football school, so until, or unless they can change that perception, especially with upper echelon BB recruits, seasons like this will continue. I'm not down grading the job Barbee and his staff have done,  I'm just being realistic. I would love for AU basketball to be a force again.

UTEP (C-USA) (2006–2010)

Shadow?  Shadow, is that you?

I have seen great improvement and I have been to just short of every home game both years.

Keep up the good work Coach!  I, for one among many, am very excited about the future of our program!

:wareagle:

Did Auburn and Barbee ever agree on a contract?  If so what were the numbers and did they remove the clause in contention?          I think we have a great coach.  Keeping him will be the problem 

Did Auburn and Barbee ever agree on a contract?  If so what were the numbers and did they remove the clause in contention?          I think we have a great coach.  Keeping him will be the problem   

He signed a new contract last year that extends through 2017 at $1.5 annually. He can earn up to $600,000 in bonuses for success on the court and for his players' academic achievements. The mutual clause they reached says that If he's fired, AU owes him $750,000 for each year remaining and if he leaves for another school he'll owe a total of $1 million.

UTEP (C-USA) (2006–2010)

Shadow?  Shadow, is that you?

I have seen great improvement and I have been to just short of every home game both years.

Keep up the good work Coach!  I, for one among many, am very excited about the future of our program!

:wareagle:

addikt, wouldn't you say basketball in the SEC is a little tougher than basketball in C-USA?  It will take a little longer here.  If we aren't .500 or better next year then you may have a point.  But for now, be happy we have such a well respected coach who has proven he can get it done on the court. 

Barbee has us going in the right direction but he is going to have to increase the strength of schedule. I understand that the goal was to increase confidence in the team and get more wins by playing an easier schedule but that won't last long. I look to see an increase in schedule strength with another .500 season.

The only way you get better is to play better competition.

It is going to take time and patience by all involved.  Talent/Depth are the keys which will take time.  Talent that wants immediately playing time and depth will come when Auburn starts upsetting major programs like Kentucky and Florida.  Appearances in NIT and early tournaments will help.

Barbee has us going in the right direction but he is going to have to increase the strength of schedule. I understand that the goal was to increase confidence in the team and get more wins by playing an easier schedule but that won't last long. I look to see an increase in schedule strength with another .500 season.

The only way you get better is to play better competition.

I agree with this. Every year, you're going to have your cupcakes, but we've got to put some tougher teams on the schedule. We played South Florida, Seton Hall and some other good teams in the Diamond Head Classic, which was a start. I'd really like to see us play in more tournaments in Nov. and Dec.

It'll be interesting to see what our schedule for next year looks like. When is the schedule released?

Our strength of schedule was terrible.  And I mean terrible!  Auburn had the easiest schedule by a long shot in the SEC and one of the worst for a major college in all Div1.  Its too bad because I for one think we could have equaled our win total this year with a respectable schedule.  Looking at this years results objectively taking the scheduling into consideration Auburn did not really improve measurably from last year.  I think that next year we will see a better season with another year of CB coaching and recruits he has coming in.  I will also go out on a limb and say that Auburn will have a good showing in the SEC tourney.  It looks like we have 2 very winnable games to start with the way Auburn has been playing most of the last month. 

Patience is key with AU basketball.  I was so frustrated watching this team play, I just had to sit back, take a deep breath and continue to tell myself that we have a great coach that is doing his best to make AU basketball respectable again.  He basically took over a program that was on a high school level when he got here.  It's gonna be at least 2-3 more years for him to build it backup to NCAA tournament level, IMO.  Baby steps - - - baby steps.

Let’s start with pre-season play.

Last year’s record was 7-7.

That included losses to teams like SAMFORD, Campbell and Presbyterian College. At home!

This year’s record is 10-4.

The losses are to Seton Hall (19-10), Long Beach St. (22-7) Florida State (20-9) and UTEP (15-16). NONE at home.

The improvement there is very obvious.

Now for SEC play

Last year’s record was 4-12

Through the first 8 games last year we were 1-7.

This year’s record is 5-11.

Through the first 8 games this year we were 3-5.

Obvious improvement again. (especially up to that point)

The last half of this season we lost Josh Langford for all games and several players to suspensions and injuries.

I would argue that with everyone present all year we would have won a couple more SEC games this year. Even without everyone available we still had a better record. 

I concede there were games this year where we played great for 35-38 minutes but faded at the end.  That is a depth and experience issue - not a talent or coaching issue. 

addikt, I answered you, and I believe I showed evidence of improvement. I also believe the improvement would have been even stronger without all the injuries and suspensions.  I've been awaiting your reply.

:dunno:

We got blown out a lot last year. This year we have been in all but 3 of our conference games with a chance to win if we make a few shots down the stretch. We just have to learn how to finish games.

Archived