Woodberry

Tiger Oak

So far he has written 6 articles about the Ward point shaving suspension. My question is how can you shave points off of this years Auburn squad? Were people betting on if we would get beat by 20 instead of just 10?

He loves to make Auburn look bad.  Of course this was served up to him on a silver platter. 

He loves to make Auburn look bad.  Of course this was served up to him on a silver platter. 

I agree he loves to make Auburn look bad... how did he not get this story before Charles Robinson?

I don't know the answer to that but if the story getting out was imminent at this time then I am glad that it was 'served up on a silver platter' to Charles Robinson.  At least with Charles Robinson you have a better chance of not being unfairly thrashed with rumors, hateful spin, and unethical journalism.  He does a fine job in his reporting with sticking to the facts and he does it in a media where that is the exception rather than the rule.

It sickens me that if one of these "journalists" gets a whiff of a story about Auburn, it's all over the national media, internet, twitter, facebook, myspace, AOL Chatrooms, 60 minutes, The View, and every other friggin' media outlet.  However, when faced with actual facts about certain other schools, you hear nothing and the story disappears overnight. 

I know that we, the Auburn Family, take the high-road and support our school no matter what, but I am getting sick of how the media jumps at every chance to tear my alma mater down!!!  It is getting more and more difficult to ignore the disparaging remarks being hurled at Auburn. 

War Eagle!!!!  Now and Forever!!!!

Robinson has credibility. If an article, even if bad news, was written about Auburn, I would rather read his take. At least he is thourough with his investigations and gets the facts straight.

It sickens me that if one of these "journalists" gets a whiff of a story about Auburn, it's all over the national media, internet, twitter, facebook, myspace, AOL Chatrooms, 60 minutes, The View, and every other friggin' media outlet.  However, when faced with actual facts about certain other schools, you hear nothing and the story disappears overnight. 

I know that we, the Auburn Family, take the high-road and support our school no matter what, but I am getting sick of how the media jumps at every chance to tear my alma mater down!!!  It is getting more and more difficult to ignore the disparaging remarks being hurled at Auburn. 

And these 'journalists' hardly ever come back to say 'oops we were wrong about Auburn with this story'.

Somebody posted this already, I don't remember which thread, but the reason is because of the SEC office. Think about it, when an institution finds out these kinds of things, they report it to the SEC office; everything gets funneled through there. That's how some stories get squashed in the media and some don't.

Some talk that the shaving may have related to the "OVER-UNDER" and not ATS. In the UAT game in question, they were favored by 5 pts at a time when they had suspended Mitchell, were not playing well, and AU had played well for last few games @ home???

Some talk that the shaving may have related to the "OVER-UNDER" and not ATS. In the UAT game in question, they were favored by 5 pts at a time when they had suspended Mitchell, were not playing well, and AU had played well for last few games @ home???

^^This makes sense.  A ton of folks bet the O/U just as much as the ATS.  And, there is also the capability of betting the O/U & ATS for each half.  (I've been known to hedge my bet at the half in a effort to break even on a wager.) :-[  You never know what's gonna happen in any given game.

One of Robinsons sources is believed to reside in the SEC Office, and is named Mark Womack.  Robinsons article was not a hit piece like most written, and he did a good job of separating the acts of a Rogue individual from the University as a while.  More  than likely the team mate who refused to participate in the PS scheme has verified his story with the appropriate parties and legitimized this claim. As we all know how rigid our compliance department is, for us to make the first call to the FBI - means there is some teeth to this story. I believe when this is said and done, Ward will be revealed to be a minor player in this in comparision to some others.(A certain SEC referee-who worked both Updyke-Auburn games this season, and a couple of other SEC players that dont play for Auburn, along with the mystery man who pulled this motley crew together. It's a sad day for Auburn Bball that we get our name associated with this undeservedly. Ward deserves Due process, but regardless his career is effectively over.

One of Robinsons sources is believed to reside in the SEC Office, and is named Mark Womack.  Robinsons article was not a hit piece like most written, and he did a good job of separating the acts of a Rogue individual from the University as a while.  More  than likely the team mate who refused to participate in the PS scheme has verified his story with the appropriate parties and legitimized this claim. As we all know how rigid our compliance department is, for us to make the first call to the FBI - means there is some teeth to this story. I believe when this is said and done, Ward will be revealed to be a minor player in this in comparision to some others.(A certain SEC referee-who worked both Updyke-Auburn games this season, and a couple of other SEC players that dont play for Auburn, along with the mystery man who pulled this motley crew together. It's a sad day for Auburn Bball that we get our name associated with this undeservedly. Ward deserves Due process, but regardless his career is effectively over.

Interesting post, I agree there are likely bigger hands at work here and Ward was a small player.  Do you have knowledge of this or are you just drawing your own conclusions? 

It's not the journalists fault on this one guys, they just write the news. Yes, it's frustrating to read, but that's the hot story so that's how it goes. The folks to be mad at are those involved in this crap and it looks like it could be one of our own. It's a bitter pill to swallow I know.

It's not the journalists fault on this one guys, they just write the news. Yes, it's frustrating to read, but that's the hot story so that's how it goes. The folks to be mad at are those involved in this crap and it looks like it could be one of our own. It's a bitter pill to swallow I know.

^^Voice of reason.  thanks

This story is news plain and simple.  It could be found that criminal activity took place in our athletic program, by an AU student athlete.  We've had our fair share of athletes with poor character that made poor decisions over the past 12 months.  Auburn University is not at fault in any of it.  Unfortunately because of these folks affiliation with AU, we get drug through the mud with them and AU ends up with yet another blackeye.  A bitter pill indeed.

Geez, guys -- It's one thing to parse and gnash teeth over the way the Cam Newton story played out, but this is a straight news story. And, in case you didn't pay attention, Coach Barbee seems to think Ward's behavior, whatever the details, was pretty stupid. That wasn't a suspension with patsy quotes from the coach. He let 'em have it. As for the coverage, the ESPN piece I saw this morning certainly mentioned Auburn. It's impossible not to. But I saw nothing that cast this as anything other than a Varez Ward-driven story. That's unfortunate for Auburn. But there's nothing we can do other than what the unviversity did: Suspend him and turn him in -- facts, by the way, that have appeared in the stories. Feel like I'm beating my head against a wall, but try to find some nuance and reason in your media criticism. Auburn has some gripes. But there are also times when folks who wear orange and blue do stupid things. In those cases, it isn't the media embarrassing Auburn, it's Auburn people embarrasing Auburn. Let's own it and move on.

How would that make any difference? Vegas would still see a fishy bet no matter how the action is playing and adjust the board accordingly. If a lot of heavy-handed wagers came in on the OU, the bookies in Vegas would know it.

Archived