Gene Jelks

AUpocalypse

What strikes me as odd in this article, is that the piece is written about how broken Jelks is, and I get that.

BUT

The former players and coaches aren't mad at him for "lying" about the benefits he received, they are mad at him for exposing the cheating machine that bama is!

They are mad at him for his telling of the TRUTH!

What strikes me as odd in this article, is that the piece is written about how broken Jelks is, and I get that.

BUT

The former players and coaches aren't mad at him for "lying" about the benefits he received, they are mad at him for exposing the cheating machine that bama is!

They are mad at him for his telling of the TRUTH!

And for this^ reason... I have been able to do nothing more than shake my head and post this link.

Always mad over some backwards absurdity that doesn't come to fruition in the morally void way they desire.

Or Happy & vulgarly obnoxious when it does.

^This IS bammer Football.

On a side note:

I fail to see why Jelks blames Curry for ruining his career?  Curry played him at a position that eventually landed him in the NFL, w/NFL salary, and he blames the man all these many years later for ruining his potential?  :dunno:

On a side note:

I fail to see why Jelks blames Curry for ruining his career?  Curry played him at a position that eventually landed him in the NFL, w/NFL salary, and he blames the man all these many years later for ruining his potential?   :dunno:

bammers could not by a clue if it were on sale at Walmart. This is yet another example or how bammers live in their own world. As I've said numerous times "Facts and Figures never factor into the bama mindset".

This is an interesting article because I am friends with Jerry Pullen. He has shared some stories of his time coaching in the SEC, but is very cautious about revealing too much!  He still has a lot of contacts in the coaching circles, especially with the teams in the West Division.

This is an interesting article because I am friends with Jerry Pullen. He has shared some stories of his time coaching in the SEC, but is very cautious about revealing too much!  He still has a lot of contacts in the coaching circles, especially with the teams in the West Division.

I understand his caution for not revealing too much.  Looks like Jelks was trying to insinuate that he or his family were getting "gifts" when he was still in HS.....

Gene Jelks is a typical addict. He lives in denial and blames everyone else for his own failures. He takes little responsibility for his own failures, and he holds on to bitterness to the point that it's ruining his life.

He's very similar to ol' harvey updyke.

That was one of the biggest "woe is me" articles I have read. A 45 year old man is crying about a coach destroying his childhood dream? Really!

I loved how the article tries to lead you to believe that Alabama did nothing wrong and it was all Jelks fault that they got in trouble. Talk about your propaganda.

On a side note:

I fail to see why Jelks blames Curry for ruining his career?  Curry played him at a position that eventually landed him in the NFL, w/NFL salary, and he blames the man all these many years later for ruining his potential?   :dunno:

I can understand it. In 1985, Jelks was an unbelievable talent at RB. Better than Bobby Humpries. He scared me to death. He lit us up in the 1985 IB for about 175 yards and was the only reason Bama was even in that game. Keep in mind 25+ years ago, a RB his size could do fine in the NFL (remember Lionel James who was much smaller?). When Jelks was switched to DB at Bama, AU fans were very happy and relieved (at least many of us were). Jelks was scary at RB and I do believe he was done a disservice when he was switched to DB. To this day, I do not really understand it.

ETA: For reference, Jelks ran for 1176 yards on 196 carries at bama. 6.1 ypc. For comparison, Bo averaged 6.5 ypc over 125 carries his freshman year. Jelks was scary at RB under Perkins in 1985. Then in 1986, Curry came in and did not use him and switched him to DB.

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

That was one of the biggest "woe is me" articles I have read. A 45 year old man is crying about a coach destroying his childhood dream? Really!

I loved how the article tries to lead you to believe that Alabama did nothing wrong and it was all Jelks fault that they got in trouble. Talk about your propaganda.

And AU boosters fault too.  Mustn't leave them out.  :zapbama:

On a side note:

I fail to see why Jelks blames Curry for ruining his career?  Curry played him at a position that eventually landed him in the NFL, w/NFL salary, and he blames the man all these many years later for ruining his potential?   :dunno:

I can understand it. In 1985, Jelks was an unbelievable talent at RB. Better than Bobby Humpries. He scared me to death. He lit us up in the 1985 IB for about 175 yards and was the only reason Bama was even in that game. Keep in mind 25+ years ago, a RB his size could do fine in the NFL (remember Lionel James who was much smaller?). When Jelks was switched to DB at Bama, AU fans were very happy and relieved (at least many of us were). Jelks was scary at RB and I do believe he was done a disservice when he was switched to DB. To this day, I do not really understand it.

ETA: For reference, Jelks ran for 1176 yards on 196 carries at bama. 6.1 ypc. For comparison, Bo averaged 6.5 ypc over 125 carries his freshman year. Jelks was scary at RB under Perkins in 1985. Then in 1986, Curry came in and did not use him and switched him to DB.

I wonder if Curry were to give Jelks a pocket full of cash right now, if he'd somehow be able to forgive him? :-X

Looks like a guy that always had his hand out,  he'd take $$ from anyone willing to pay him.  His failure at life is his own fault, not Bill Curry's.  He had an NFL job for crying out loud, and he wasted the money on drugs.  He just wants someone to blame for his own foolish choices and looks to be begging for acceptance any place he can find it.

Yeah, I am not really defending Gene Jelks the person. I am just saying I think he does have a reason to be bitter towards Curry and UAT. I remember how scary he was in 1985. In a dozen years, I seriously doubt any player put up the numbers Jelks did against a Pat Dye defense (176 rushing yards alone and I believe he returned kicks as well). I think Jelks could have been much more successful at RB in both college and the NFL if Curry had not come in and changed things.

Everybody has a choice to make. He chose to blame people instead of dealing with it and becoming a successful man. He made a bad choice.

Everybody has a choice to make. He chose to blame people instead of dealing with it and becoming a successful man. He made a bad choice.

I know some of the folks involved in this; some are still bama boosters if that means anything. AU backed off of Jelks due in part to worries about attitude problems and things that happened while he was in high school. His father, according to some folks he played ball with and I golfed some with, pulled a knif on some of the coaches when Jelks told them one day he didn`t feel like practicing and they told him to get on the field. He wasn`t a bad kid growing up but as he said; there were a lot of people interested in him going to bama.

Its been a few days since I read this article but if I remember correctly Curry said that he held a lot of animosity towards Vince Lombardi and it wasn't until Lombardi was on his death bed that Curry let go of it.  Also related to that Curry said he understood why  Jelks felt the way he did.  Seems to me a lot of guys in the pros end up going through this when their career ends.  All in all I think it was an excellent piece of sports journalism.

I would venture to say that about 98% of the population has some amount of animosity towards someone for something bad that has happened in their lives. But 98% of the population does not bail out of life going on crack smoking binges and become homeless.

Mr. Jelks needs to learn some personal responsibility, also he needs to become a man. By his last comments in the article it seems he has decided to do neither one of those.

Someone plucked that silver spoon out of his mouth and he didn't know how to handle it, that is all this amounts to.

What was he looking from when he went to find Curry?  Did he think Curry was going to give him a big sloppy kiss and 3 million dollars. Stinking grow up and get a job and get your life in order.

I would venture to say that about 98% of the population has some amount of animosity towards someone for something bad that has happened in their lives. But 98% of the population does not bail out of life going on crack smoking binges and become homeless.

Mr. Jelks needs to learn some personal responsibility, also he needs to become a man. By his last comments in the article it seems he has decided to do neither one of those.

Someone plucked that silver spoon out of his mouth and he didn't know how to handle it, that is all this amounts to.

What was he looking from when he went to find Curry?  Did he think Curry was going to give him a big sloppy kiss and 3 million dollars. Stinking grow up and get a job and get your life in order.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm excusing his going on a drug addled walkabout in any way shape or form or even saying I understand why someone would do that.  My comments were narrowly directed at comments about how idiotic it is for Jelks to blame Curry for his NFL career ending.  I think there are probably a lot of professional athletes out there that are bitter about being forced to quit something they love and will look for anyone to blame (a prime example being Curry's mentioning of his animosity towards Lombardi for cutting him). 

Ed.....sorry. I really was not directing that at you. Nor did I think you were trying to excuse his behavior.

Pro athletes should be happy that they were paid an enormous sum of money to do something they love,

instead of being bitter that it ended and trying to blame someone

Dear Mr. Jelks,

Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Kevon67

I live here in the town where Gene is from and it was a well known fact here when all this happened. I too know some of the people involved and a certain booster, named from  here, well lets just say I dont like him at all, and dont put anything past him. I do know Gene Jelks Mom, Doris. His dad died but his mother is one of the finest people you will ever meet. She cant help what her son has done. It wasnt just Gene involved, it was Big Boy Kings son also. I live in this town where all this went down, and I knew someone that worked at a place and would talk about how these 2 would come to this place of employment once a week and laugh when picking up their checks, but they never worked there.Harold Simmons named in this article isnt worth what id wipe off my shoe when stepped in dog mess.

Archived