4 super conferences

norcuron

OK sorta looks like it may very well happen one day soon. Thats 64 teams. looks like we have picked who would be the survivors. PAC 12 BIG 10 and It it looks like the SEC has assured the BIG 12s survival with a bowl game contract

thats 64 teams. Most likely the 64 best football schools in the country.

What happens with the other 60 (most likely mid majors) ?

They will set up their own Division with their own conferences with lower tier bowls tie ins. Also I would not be surprise to see they may set up their own National Championship game within their Division.

I imagine that they will still play in Mid-Major bowls like the New Orleans Bowl, the bowl game in Detroit, etc. There will still be teams from the "superconferences" that go 7-5, 6-6 that will be bowl eligible under the current system that would match up well with a 9-3, 10-2 Arkansas State, Troy, and so on. I don't see the bowl system changing too much at the lower tier level because of how it would affect the economies of the host cities.

OK sorta looks like it may very well happen one day soon. Thats 64 teams. looks like we have picked who would be the survivors. PAC 12 BIG 10 and It it looks like the SEC has assured the BIG 12s survival with a bowl game contract

thats 64 teams. Most likely the 64 best football schools in the country.

What happens with the other 60 (most likely mid majors) ?

Not sure what will happen, I would expect congress to get involved and all kind of anti-trust litigation if they exclude all those other 60 schools.

Because so much federal money flows through all these schools, it opens the door for some huge federal involvement.

Not necessarily hoping for any of that, just an observation.

Personally, I think there needs to be a separate division. There are over 120 teams in D1 and only a few of them are relevant. Yet, it seems like every year another team or two wants to move up. I like the idea of 64 teams, that seems like an appropriate number to keep in all of the teams that actually matter each year. Having four conferences feeds easily into a four team play-off as well.

pie in the sky -

have each of the 4 major conferences have their own "sub"-conference ... ala world wide soccer.

top 2-4 teams in the sub conference move up each year and the bottom 2-4 teams in the upper conference move down.  that gives all of these bitching and moaning mid-majors a chance.  they move up one year and then beaten back down the next.

that allows 64 teams in the 4 major conferences and an additional 64 teams in the 4 "minor" conferences.

128 total teams - or 14 in the "minor" conferences therefore 120 total teams.

i know this will never happen but this could allow for a legitimate 4 team national championship playoff.

Who else would like to leave it alone? There are not many things i enjoy like college football. Not broke...dont fix.

Who else would like to leave it alone? There are not many things i enjoy like college football. Not broke...dont fix.

I am with you on  this one. Actually, I would even prefer to turn the clock back some. Of course it is not going to happen as it is all about money.

It is now big business masquerading as amateur athletics and football is being run more and more by business men and entertainment moguls all competing to see who can get the best TV deals and most lucrative contracts.

However, if is big business that they want, it is just a matter of time before the political, social, and legal systems begin to treat college football like big business.

Mark my words, when it is money you chase, it is money that will destroy you. As colonel jessup said, "sleep well Danny boy...".

I hate the idea of superconferences. We do not need a super conference, just a better way to decide the national champion and there are much better ways to do so than combine all the teams into 4 big conferences.  The idea that there will 21 teams in one conference is just too many teams. How could you justify playing out of confernce games with probably 14 other teams in your conference you do not play. If you just played teams in your conference you still would only play alittle over half and I like playing other conferences because it shows who is really the best.  And once again I say no playoff without the best teams invlove is a playoff just another stuipid fantasy to pick a national  champ.  The playoff idea is just plane dumb if the TOP teams are not included and it will be just lucky if all the conference champs are the top 4 ranked teams.  It will almost never happen and each year there will be several teams from one conference that could beat the champ of another. That happens now and there are not as many teams in each conference as what everyone is talking about going to.

The sad thing is football(NCAA,NFL) keeps getting messed with.  Rules keep changing and schools keeping flipping around.  I just want football to be what it has been my whole life. It is the only sport I love to watch and it keeps getting watered down.  And the more it gets messed with the more these people think it is ok to do so. Leave it alone. As much as I want an 8 team playoff I would rather it not be messed with if all this other baggage comes with it.  It would take this system over anything that includes superconferences. Just make the rankings better and more fair, which can be done.

The problem is, It is broke. It was broke but Ok before the BCS. Bowl games were a reward reguardless of the bowl. The only problem was that the Nc was given out blindly by favoritism more often than not. Hence the BCS which has destroyed every thing great about all bowls except the BCS bowls. It's even screwed up when the games are played. New years day sucks for football now.

I Remember back in the day when we use to move every TV in the house in to the living room and run cable from the rooms they were in just to watch every game that came on. Now your luck to get 2 or 3 gmaes and none of them are really that great. New years day bowls aren't what they use to be.

I'm not really one for superconferences. I think a 10 conference 10 team playoff with conference champs would sufice. It keeps every game of the season meaningful. so what 4 of the conferences are minor league. they will get sent home after the first game any way but it kills all the complaining and lawsuits from the minor conferences to nil as they will not have a complaint about being left out.

Reguardless It's broke my friend...It's broke very much bad.

I've always wondered why a team would want to be in a league where they have no chance in winning.  I'm sure it has something to do with money.  At any rate, Div IA needs to split.  There are night and day differences between the SEC and Sunbelt.  I hear folks talking antitrust, but I don't see it.  There are other leagues to participate in.  Heck start your own league if you don't like the NCAA.  Noone forces a University to be in the NCAA.

The problem is, It is broke. It was broke but Ok before the BCS. Bowl games were a reward reguardless of the bowl. The only problem was that the Nc was given out blindly by favoritism more often than not. Hence the BCS which has destroyed every thing great about all bowls except the BCS bowls. It's even screwed up when the games are played. New years day sucks for football now.

I Remember back in the day when we use to move every TV in the house in to the living room and run cable from the rooms they were in just to watch every game that came on. Now your luck to get 2 or 3 gmaes and none of them are really that great. New years day bowls aren't what they use to be.

I'm not really one for superconferences. I think a 10 conference 10 team playoff with conference champs would sufice. It keeps every game of the season meaningful. so what 4 of the conferences are minor league. they will get sent home after the first game any way but it kills all the complaining and lawsuits from the minor conferences to nil as they will not have a complaint about being left out.

It is only broke if one assumes and accepts the premise that the NCAA wants and/or owes some duty to some contingency to actually crown a NC. That is the first great fallacy in the whole discussion.

It is not that the powers that be in the NCAA are so stupid they can't come up with a better way to crown a NC, it is simply that they had no interest in doing it (or could not find a way to do it that would result in the MAJORITY of the schools/conferences getting more money).

I know I am in the vast minority, but I could be happy letting conference championships be the only official championships crowned and then let anyone else who wants to award a NC, award one (the way UAT got their 97 NC's). It makes for great off season talk and debate AND what does it really hurt not to have one single official NC.

The second great fallacy/assumption in this whole debate is that a 4 or 8 team playoff would eliminate the controversy and do a better job of picking the best team that the BCS. They put 65 teams in the NCAA tourney and STILL DEBATE the injustice of who got left out. VCU almost did not make it in the tourney the year they won the NC.

On one hand we are saying let ALL the regular season games count as a measure of who the best teams are and then throw out all the body of work for all the teams and base the NC on the outcome of 2 games. All that really proves is who  was the best team out of the 4 chosen ones on the two weekends they played.

Granted, with a playoff you at least do have a well defined process whereby the teams and fans know what is required to be crowned the NC.

I've always wondered why a team would want to be in a league where they have no chance in winning.  I'm sure it has something to do with money.  At any rate, Div IA needs to split.  There are night and day differences between the SEC and Sunbelt.  I hear folks talking antitrust, but I don't see it.  There are other leagues to participate in.  Heck start your own league if you don't like the NCAA.  Noone forces a University to be in the NCAA.

That argument does not fly with anti-trust laws. Size/market strength alone can create  monopoly.

That same argument could have been made as a reason not to split up AT&T years ago as theoretically anyone could start a phone company.  At different times over the last 40 years the government has threatened to split up both Microsoft and IBM, even though anyone could start a software company or a computer company.

People forget that the NFL also LOST The anti-trust lawsuit to the USFL (or WLAF, I forget which one) even though anyone could start a pro football league. The Plaintiffs in that case were only awarded $3 (actually the award was $1, but anti-trust law allows for triple damages). The jury did not award greater damages because the found that the upstart league was so mismanaged that it would have still been bankrupt without the NFL.

However, plaintiff's were awarded attorney fees in the range of millions of dollars.

I know the NCAA is extremely aware of the anti-trust issue and they are carefully crafted and carving out a plan that will not run afoul of anti-trust laws. However, when you are walking that fine of line between violating the law and not, you always run the risk of missing something and inadvertently crossing that line into a Billion Dollar judgement.

That argument does not fly with anti-trust laws. Size/market strength alone can create  monopoly.

That same argument could have been made as a reason not to split up AT&T years ago as theoretically anyone could start a phone company.  At different times over the last 40 years the government has threatened to split up both Microsoft and IBM, even though anyone could start a software company or a computer company.

People forget that the NFL also LOST The anti-trust lawsuit to the USFL (or WLAF, I forget which one) even though anyone could start a pro football league. The Plaintiffs in that case were only awarded $3 (actually the award was $1, but anti-trust law allows for triple damages). The jury did not award greater damages because the found that the upstart league was so mismanaged that it would have still been bankrupt without the NFL.

However, plaintiff's were awarded attorney fees in the range of millions of dollars.

I know the NCAA is extremely aware of the anti-trust issue and they are carefully crafted and carving out a plan that will not run afoul of anti-trust laws. However, when you are walking that fine of line between violating the law and not, you always run the risk of missing something and inadvertently crossing that line into a Billion Dollar judgement. As I said earlier, if an entity keeps chasing money it will ultimately get bitten by that money.

It is only broke if one assumes and accepts the premise that the NCAA wants and/or owes some duty to some contingency to actually crown a NC. That is the first great fallacy in the whole discussion.

It is not that the powers that be in the NCAA are so stupid they can't come up with a better way to crown a NC, it is simply that they had no interest in doing it (or could not find a way to do it that would result in the MAJORITY of the schools/conferences getting more money).

I know I am in the vast minority, but I could be happy letting conference championships be the only official championships crowned and then let anyone else who wants to award a NC, award one (the way UAT got their 97 NC's). It makes for great off season talk and debate AND what does it really hurt not to have one single official NC.

The second great fallacy/assumption in this whole debate is that a 4 or 8 team playoff would eliminate the controversy and do a better job of picking the best team that the BCS. They put 65 teams in the NCAA tourney and STILL DEBATE the injustice of who got left out. VCU almost did not make it in the tourney the year they won the NC.

On one hand we are saying let ALL the regular season games count as a measure of who the best teams are and then throw out all the body of work for all the teams and base the NC on the outcome of 2 games. All that really proves is who  was the best team out of the 4 chosen ones on the two weekends they played.

Granted, with a playoff you at least do have a well defined process whereby the teams and fans know what is required to be crowned the NC.

Rockford, I like your logic. I've said for years that a playoff is not more likely to determine the best team any more than the polls or computer analysis will, maybe even less likely. The meaning of the NC is dependent on ones definition. If you want it to mean, the team that won a playoff, then we need a playoff. But if it is to mean, the best team in college football for the year, a playoff very well may miss the mark. A poll, if actually done fairly, or a computer analysis, if programed with statistics weighted correctly (whatever that may be and that is subjective) is more likely, in my opinion, to determine the "best" team than a playoff. And if I am right, then let's go back to the old bowl arrangement before the BCS. The one thing it did do was keep the interest high in a lot of bowl games and, in the end, create a questionable champion that could be argued forever, which, for the interest in the sport, might actually be a good thing.

Im feeling it prob will be four conferences with prob 16 teams.  We know the big 12 need two more teams at the least just for a conference champ game most likely from the ACC. We all saw what the PAC 10 tried to do. They went for the neck they wanted 16. The Big East spread from the atlantic to the pacific, now how long can they hold that up? Flying football teams back and forth? How can San Diego St. afford away games when NOBODY cares and NOBODY is watching the games? Is the ACC gonna raid the Big East for 2 or 4 teams.

Boise Poor gimicky Boise gonna be Big East champ every year and still not get a shot at the NC because of lask of meaningful competition.

Im feeling it prob will be four conferences with prob 16 teams. 

Four conferences with 16 teams that are split into two eight team divisions looks a lot like an eight division league with 8 teams each if you squint your eyes just right. From there, an 8 team playoff with the conference champs being the first round starts to come into focus.  Just saying... no telling where all this is headed, I just wish we had a powerful commissioner with a vision that was guiding all this so that the individual power brokers don't go all fubar with it.

Four conferences with 16 teams that are split into two eight team divisions looks a lot like an eight division league with 8 teams each if you squint your eyes just right. From there, an 8 team playoff with the conference champs being the first round starts to come into focus.  Just saying... no telling where all this is headed, I just wish we had a powerful commissioner with a vision that was guiding all this so that the individual power brokers don't go all fubar with it.

From what I can tell Slive is the "Wizard of Oz."  I mean you grab two teams out of a conference dropping their stock value then make a big time bowl deal which marries the two for the indefinate future. 

I know the NCAA is extremely aware of the anti-trust issue and they are carefully crafted and carving out a plan that will not run afoul of anti-trust laws. However, when you are walking that fine of line between violating the law and not, you always run the risk of missing something and inadvertently crossing that line into a Billion Dollar judgement.

I see what you're saying.  Jax St could have an argument that they don't have a shot at the financial gain since the NCAA wont put them in the big dog league.  I guess the real competition isn't on the field.  It is jockeying to get your piece of the pie. 

Maybe the NCAA doesn't put a limit on the number of teams to be in the top tier.  But they allow teams based on meeting a minimum criteria.

Speaking of splitting companies.  Who would be suprised if the SEC Big 12 and ACC didn't start their own Athletic Association.

pie in the sky -

have each of the 4 major conferences have their own "sub"-conference ... ala world wide soccer.

top 2-4 teams in the sub conference move up each year and the bottom 2-4 teams in the upper conference move down. that gives all of these B***hing and moaning mid-majors a chance. they move up one year and then beaten back down the next.

that allows 64 teams in the 4 major conferences and an additional 64 teams in the 4 "minor" conferences.

128 total teams - or 14 in the "minor" conferences therefore 120 total teams.

i know this will never happen but this could allow for a legitimate 4 team national championship playoff.

I don't like this idea at all. This could have an adverse effect on recruiting. Plus, in 2009 Auburn only won 3 conference games. Would this have moved us to the lower tier for 2010? If so, no national championship.

From what I can tell Slive is the "Wizard of Oz."  I mean you grab two teams out of a conference dropping their stock value then make a big time bowl deal which marries the two for the indefinate future. 

Slive's actions were a stroke of genius, IMO.  A huge power move.

I see what you're saying.  Jax St could have an argument that they don't have a shot at the financial gain since the NCAA wont put them in the big dog league.  I guess the real competition isn't on the field.  It is jockeying to get your piece of the pie. 

Maybe the NCAA doesn't put a limit on the number of teams to be in the top tier.  But they allow teams based on meeting a minimum criteria.

Speaking of splitting companies.  Who would be suprised if the SEC Big 12 and ACC didn't start their own Athletic Association.

It is possible, but remember, the key is MONEY.  No doubt, the group you  mentioned would have the best football and basketball teams.  However, the money is in TV and that cuts out a LOT of lucrative TV markets.

I think LSU and UAT were two very good teams, but had the lowest TV ratings of any NC game, because it was regional.  NY and LA tuned out (not lower Alabama)

Archived