Stallworth's 2011 decreased performance

AUenginerd

There's an article on Rivals about his dropoff last year and how he wants to finish 2012 like he started 2011.  The thing that stuck out the most to me was a quote of his about not being selfish and that the coaches had "a plan" so he just did what was asked and stuck to it.  While that is the correct thing to do, why was there a change in plans and what was it?  Everyone knows our passing game struggled, and obviously changed when Trotter was swapped out for Clint, but why would that dictate and offensive passing strategy change?  It might be something I'm not thinking of, but this seemed odd to me that someone who proved he could contribute in the first 3 games barely touched the ball the rest of the season.  Obviously the level of competition increased as we got into SEC play, and that affected things but was hoping for some insight on said change in plans.  Thanks in advance. 

I haven't read the article so I'm not sure of the context, but it looked like not many of our receivers were open last year.  Since Gus' offense didn't adjust routes to coverages and most of our guys weren't open, maybe the "plan" was just throw the ball to Emory Blake and see if he comes down with it.  ;)

I don't know, but my guess is that the change was to become a bit more conservative on offense in an effort to help out the defense.

I don't know, but my guess is that the change was to become a bit more conservative on offense in an effort to help out the defense.

If that's the case, it didn't help either of them.  :banghead:

If that's the case, it didn't help either of them.   :banghead:

Yeah, you know -- hard to figure that. The drive we put on Clemson, when we took it the length of the field without a single pass; the way we played against South Carolina ... that's what I believe the idea was, in order to help us avoid what happened against Utah State and MSU. But it didn't always work, obviously. I also suspect that in the bowl game the offense was allowed to let it hang out a bit more. Just my opinions.

He also said

Unlike some athletes, Stallworth doesn’t deny taking a peek at what the experts are saying. He’s heard and read all of the stuff about Auburn not having a No. 2 receiver. “We read everything as athletes,” Stallworth said. “We read all the blogs and everything. We just want to show people what we can do. You have to try to block that stuff out, but again it’s lingering in the back of your mind.”

Read more here: http://www.wareagleextra.com/#storylink=cpy

If he reads the blogs etc.  Then he knows we think he was special because he's seen this.

Travante.gif

Archived