ASHAA Bona Fide Move

rockfordpi

I did not want the Darius Paige thread to get side tracked on this issue, but that the end of this story:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120807/SPORTS/308070030/Washington-High-s-Darius-Paige-transfers-Foley-Ala-senior-year?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

it says that:

"- Nine months at the new residence will be required to make a move bona fide."

Can anyone shed any light on this?  It seems like a lot of players move in Alabama and play in less than 9 months after the move. I am missing or not understanding something here.

IMO this is a horrible rule.  Forget about the 1% of players who are top athletes and are gaming the system to end up at SEC schools this hurts the good / average high school football player whose parents move.  In this economy many families must relocate for job reasons.  It is bad enough for a high school kid to have to move but to sacrifice a year of playing sports is awful.    Especially when most moves occur in the summer between school years.

I didn't read the article, but I have a friend who is a vice-principal at an Alabama high school and a family member who was looking to transfer.  He mentioned the 9 month period for a move, and the way he explained it was that the student has to live at the new residence for 9 months TOTAL, not 9 months before becoming eligible.  If someone moves to a new area, they need to stay there for 9 months or they are declared retroactively ineligible.

I did not want the Darius Paige thread to get side tracked on this issue, but that the end of this story:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120807/SPORTS/308070030/Washington-High-s-Darius-Paige-transfers-Foley-Ala-senior-year?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

it says that:

"- Nine months at the new residence will be required to make a move bona fide."

Can anyone shed any light on this?  It seems like a lot of players move in Alabama and play in less than 9 months after the move. I am missing or not understanding something here.

I didn't understand that either when I read it. I think we have a guy at Auburn HS who hasn't lived in Alabama for nine months yet.

I didn't read the article, but I have a friend who is a vice-principal at an Alabama high school and a family member who was looking to transfer.  He mentioned the 9 month period for a move, and the way he explained it was that the student has to live at the new residence for 9 months TOTAL, not 9 months before becoming eligible.  If someone moves to a new area, they need to stay there for 9 months or they are declared retroactively ineligible.

:dunno:

I don't understand that, it would not matter if the guy was a SR and they declared him retroactively ineligible or if he moved out of state.  :dunno:

I guess they could punish the school, but the school has no control over whether his family moves away or not.

I don't understand that, it would not matter if the guy was a SR and they declared him retroactively ineligible or if he moved out of state.  :dunno:

I guess they could punish the school, but the school has no control over whether his family moves away or not.

I guess it's to keep them from transferring again after the sports season is over  :dunno:

I assume the player could transfer on their own to complete the academic year, but I don't know how the AHSAA would treat the situation.

Probably living with Stabler on Ono Island.

I am pretty sure he is not living with Stabler on Ono Island, if he is living with Stabler it is probably in an Apartment somewhere.

Just Curious, if you'd live in a place for say, 17 years, since your son was born, and he was a great football player and had played 3 years of Varsity high school ball.  Would you pack up and move your entire family, leave your job and neighbors, go to another state, just so your son could have his grades "Properly" handled?

I didn't pack my family up and move when I got a new job 130 miles away. 

Odd.

Just Curious, if you'd live in a place for say, 17 years, since your son was born, and he was a great football player and had played 3 years of Varsity high school ball.  Would you pack up and move your entire family, leave your job and neighbors, go to another state, just so your son could have his grades "Properly" handled?

I didn't pack my family up and move when I got a new job 130 miles away. 

Odd.

Sadly, I have seen it happen with players that were not even being recruited, in one case just so the kid could play QB instead of DB.

The rules being discussed are for transfers within a state.  Darius is transferring from Washington High in Pensacola FL. 

"SECTION 10. OUT-OF-STATE TRANSFER. A student that transfers

from an out-of-state school must have been eligible academically at that

school in order to be declared eligible at an AHSAA member school for the

remainder of the school year."

If he wasn't eligible at the Pensacola school, he won't be eligible at Foley.

Then in Section 12 it states this:

"...A student that transfers from any non-member school to a member

school he/she is zoned to attend shall be eligible at the beginning of the

next semester (first or second) if they meet all other requirements.

Does this mean an out of state school would be considered a non-member school?  At this point, Exception 3 of Section 12 that relates to the Bona Fide Move posted earlier will take effect. 

Probably living with Stabler on Ono Island.

He declared bankruptcy... Not sure where he lives now./..

I have friends in the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area and  I think the IRS took his house on Ono some time ago.

According to a recent piece by the coach at Washington, Paige told him that they already had a job lined up for his mother.

The rules being discussed are for transfers within a state.  Darius is transferring from Washington High in Pensacola FL. 

"SECTION 10. OUT-OF-STATE TRANSFER. A student that transfers

from an out-of-state school must have been eligible academically at that

school in order to be declared eligible at an AHSAA member school for the

remainder of the school year."

If he wasn't eligible at the Pensacola school, he won't be eligible at Foley.

Then in Section 12 it states this:

"...A student that transfers from any non-member school to a member

school he/she is zoned to attend shall be eligible at the beginning of the

next semester (first or second) if they meet all other requirements.

Does this mean an out of state school would be considered a non-member school?  At this point, Exception 3 of Section 12 that relates to the Bona Fide Move posted earlier will take effect.   

I thinkt the "non-member school" issue relates to small private schools that do not compete in the AHSAA.  Alabama has a category for this I think.

It's not difficult to skirt those rules.  That's why there are so many "legal guardians" in Alabama these days.  If a "legal guardian" lives within the school zone, then using their address can automatically count towards eligibility in a transfer.  I've seen parents rent a cheapo apartment, have the electricty turned on and show the address to the school when the parents actually live in another city.  As long as there's proof they live in the school zone, the school will let them play. 

There's always a way to sidestep the "system" if a high profile 6A football coach in Alabama wants a player on his team.

i.e. Hoover - Prattville (those programs have seen some big time coaches transition through those doors in the last 10 yrs) 

According to a recent piece by the coach at Washington, Paige told him that they already had a job lined up for his mother.

Why would his parents need a job in Foley?  Washington HS & Foley HS are only about 30 miles from each other, IIRC. :dunno:

Archived