Jason Campbell / Keihl Frazier comparison

tinman

Other than Driskell, who started his transition to a different system in 2011, how many SEC QBs have had that kind of success? There's a different brand of football being played in this part of the country...

Well, now that you ask, Aaron Murray for one. The Arkansas QB came in as a freshman in 2010, in Auburn, and had a career day. Tyler Bray, some would argue, has been good since day one...Im not sold. Theres been a few but not a huge list of guys who have made the transition more easily than others.

Many new QBs have had significant success almost immediately in the SEC. In 2006, just for example, the year Teblow was "awarded" SEC freshman QB of the year, both freshmen Mathew Stafford (UGA) and Mitch Mustain (8-0 as Arky starter that year, productive passer in a run-oriented O) had arguably better numbers than the "winner". fwiw, Mustain transferred when his QB coach (some guy named Malzahn) left for Tulsa.

He'll be fine. In fact, I think he'll be up there with Jason Campbell.

He is growing into a very different kind of quarterback than he was. He will have to lead, read entire defenses, consider audible options for every play, and deliver with accuracy. In a previous scheme, it seems that the job was to read a couple of keys, look to the sideline for instructions, and make a play. I really prefer the latter style of offense. But, at any rate, he's learning to do his job in the former style.

For every new QB that "tears it up," there are just as many that struggle early.

Jeff Driskel definitely struggled early. He was the highest rated QB in his class, but he was so bad in the Auburn game last year that he sat on the bench the remainder of the season in favor of Jacoby Brissett (who was also a disaster against LSU and Auburn) and an injured John Brantley. Keeping in mind how badly the Auburn defense played last year, Driskel's 9 for 18 for 75 yards and -4 yards rushing performance definitiely classifies and sucking.

Or how ABOUT Aaron Murray? He was used as an example of a guy immediately playing well. I distinctly remember every Georgia fan I know singing a different tune when he led the Dawgs to a commanding 6-7 record. He was dominant against bad competition. Against teams with losing records, Murray posted a 13:2 TD to INT ratio with a 5-1 record. Against everyone else? 11:6 ratio with a 1-6 record. Not exactly "tearing it up."

How about another current great QB like Matt Barkley? Started as a freshman and posted 15 TDs to 14 INTs. Not exactly electric.

How about the nation's number five rated passer, David Ash. He didn't have growing pains his first time starting did he? Oh wait, he threw 4 TDs to 8 INTs and got bounced in and out of the starting lineup because he wasn't good enough to hold the job. Texas lost 4 of 6 games he started.

What about current world beater EJ Manuel? His freshman and sophomore seasons, he had 200 pass attempts combined. He threw 6 TDs to 10 INTs. Wake me up if this sounds familiar: in his second career start, he threw 0 TDs, 3 INTs. Somehow, they won the game anyway.

Want to talk about Mitch Mustain's time at Arkansas? You can cite the record. I'll cite his play. He was good enough to throw for 71 yards and 2 INTs against Louisiana-Monroe. He also tossed 3 INTs and 97 yards against an Alabama team that got its coach fired at the end of the season. That Auburn game? 87 yards passing. As soon as we're good enough to win a game while Kiehl Frazier throws for 87 yards, this will be a completely fair comparison.

I have no idea what Kiehl is going to be. I just think it's silly to act like we're the only one that suffers through growing pains for young QBs.

For every new QB that "tears it up," there are just as many that struggle early.

Jeff Driskel definitely struggled early. He was the highest rated QB in his class, but he was so bad in the Auburn game last year that he sat on the bench the remainder of the season in favor of Jacoby Brissett (who was also a disaster against LSU and Auburn) and an injured John Brantley. Keeping in mind how badly the Auburn defense played last year, Driskel's 9 for 18 for 75 yards and -4 yards rushing performance definitiely classifies and sucking.

Or how ABOUT Aaron Murray? He was used as an example of a guy immediately playing well. I distinctly remember every Georgia fan I know singing a different tune when he led the Dawgs to a commanding 6-7 record. He was dominant against bad competition. Against teams with losing records, Murray posted a 13:2 TD to INT ratio with a 5-1 record. Against everyone else? 11:6 ratio with a 1-6 record. Not exactly "tearing it up."

How about another current great QB like Matt Barkley? Started as a freshman and posted 15 TDs to 14 INTs. Not exactly electric.

How about the nation's number five rated passer, David Ash. He didn't have growing pains his first time starting did he? Oh wait, he threw 4 TDs to 8 INTs and got bounced in and out of the starting lineup because he wasn't good enough to hold the job. Texas lost 4 of 6 games he started.

What about current world beater EJ Manuel? His freshman and sophomore seasons, he had 200 pass attempts combined. He threw 6 TDs to 10 INTs. Wake me up if this sounds familiar: in his second career start, he threw 0 TDs, 3 INTs. Somehow, they won the game anyway.

Want to talk about Mitch Mustain's time at Arkansas? You can cite the record. I'll cite his play. He was good enough to throw for 71 yards and 2 INTs against Louisiana-Monroe. He also tossed 3 INTs and 97 yards against an Alabama team that got its coach fired at the end of the season. That Auburn game? 87 yards passing. As soon as we're good enough to win a game while Kiehl Frazier throws for 87 yards, this will be a completely fair comparison.

I have no idea what Kiehl is going to be. I just think it's silly to act like we're the only one that suffers through growing pains for young QBs.

Thanks for doing the work to make such a good comparison. We all remember the young QBs that burn us and forget how excited we are every time we hear we are facing a new QB.

Archived