For You Negative Basketball Fans

jwmboom7

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saying Auburn doesnt have AAU connections is completely false. Right now we have the most AAU connections with CTB then Auburn has ever had! And we did go hire somebody like UCLA did, Ryan Miller brother of Mike Miller owner of the best AAU team in Memphis and cousin(or brother in law i cant remember which one) to the head coach of that team. The problem right now is that coming to AU all of Barbee's AAU connections were mostly Nike. He is starting to change that with Under Armour starting to become a major player in the AAU circuit. Auburn will continue to recruit better and better each year under Barbee with the more connections that he makes each year and the hire of Ryan Miller.

Memphis not ATL. ATL is a lot closer, has way more talent that can get into college and has been a traditional recruiting bed for AU. The players we get from Memphis I fear will be risky ones-like the one we signed and had to kick off the team. The best players in Memphis will usually go to Memphis or Arky not AU.

Ok do you realize that if we didnt recruit kids on the AAU circuit that we would field a team that would be a below average JUCO team. EVERY D1 basketball prospect plays AAU. It's not as shady as you think. Everybody recruits AAU and you don't see that many people getting in trouble.

Who are you responding to? I was just adding to their discussion.. Calm down a bit bud

I like the fact we have played two teams from Chicago this season. Hopefully we will continue to play teams from the larger northern cities. It will pay dividends, as far as recruiting goes, in the future IMO. Very very smart move IMO.

U. Illinois is in Champain-Urbana not Chicago, but same state.

While true, we played the game on the Bulls home court.

CTB makes $1.5 mil a year. Yikes. Does anyone really think he has us headed in the "right direction"? We are under .500 and have not even started SEC play. It would be nice after such an abysmal football season to enjoy some victories on the hardwood but I have a feeling there will not be many this year. What has CTB ever done prior to getting to AU to merit that salary? Not trying to be snarky but was he a hot property or something?

They could pay me 1.5 mil a year for the same results... I mean... I'm undefeated on NBA 2k13. :bananadance:

Yea, but that is the NBA. Huge difference from college.

Ok do you realize that if we didnt recruit kids on the AAU circuit that we would field a team that would be a below average JUCO team. EVERY D1 basketball prospect plays AAU. It's not as shady as you think. Everybody recruits AAU and you don't see that many people getting in trouble.

Who are you responding to? I was just adding to their discussion.. Calm down a bit bud

I was responding to AU64, not you.

I was responding to AU64, not you.

I'm OK with the response...but I happen to disagree over the risks to AU. Do a google search and you will find all kind of articles on kids having AAU related problems. This is pretty typical: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8512. And not that long ago, a guy in Columbus , Ga was accused of providing benefits to a couple basketball players and the investigation spilled over into the UGA football program.

JMO but it's a high risk way to recruit and I may be uninformed about the "real world" on the matter but I do see and read about the problems and I do recall our probation (fairly or otherwise) because of our relations with Kamura.

I'm just saying that TB has to be really careful since AU is high on the NCAA's "wish list".

I just don't think a great coach needs a team full of ESPN 150 players to compete in the SEC. There are a lot of teams getting it done and making nice runs in the NCAA tourney based on great coaching. The SEC is not very good and there is no reason we should be at the bottom. We haven't started SEC play and we are already out of the NCAA tourney chase and I think that is pathetic and I am tired of it.

What I want to know is, what is a top 20 basketball program worth? If AU makes an outrageous offer of $3M a year to someone like Brad Stevens (Butler) or Randy Bennett (St Mary's) will the increase in exposure, NCAA tourney appearances, increase in merchandise sales, and a full arena pay for that contract? I know I am rambling but I remember the Butler (Stevens) vs UTEP (Barbee) game in the tourney a few years ago. One of them had a team full of athletes playing basketball while the other had a disciplined basketball team. Butler won easily. Last year Illinois finished 17-15. Now with a new coach (who took Ohio to the tourney 2 out of 4 years) they are 13-1 heading into conference play. Obviously in basketball it is not just the jimmie and joes which is what a lot of people want to believe.

Right now AU is pretty bad in all 3 big sports and our fans still make us a top 10 revenue producing school. How much more money would AU make with a successful athletic department?

I just don't think a great coach needs a team full of ESPN 150 players to compete in the SEC. There are a lot of teams getting it done and making nice runs in the NCAA tourney based on great coaching. The SEC is not very good and there is no reason we should be at the bottom. We haven't started SEC play and we are already out of the NCAA tourney chase and I think that is pathetic and I am tired of it.

What I want to know is, what is a top 20 basketball program worth? If AU makes an outrageous offer of $3M a year to someone like Brad Stevens (Butler) or Randy Bennett (St Mary's) will the increase in exposure, NCAA tourney appearances, increase in merchandise sales, and a full arena pay for that contract? I know I am rambling but I remember the Butler (Stevens) vs UTEP (Barbee) game in the tourney a few years ago. One of them had a team full of athletes playing basketball while the other had a disciplined basketball team. Butler won easily. Last year Illinois finished 17-15. Now with a new coach (who took Ohio to the tourney 2 out of 4 years) they are 13-1 heading into conference play. Obviously in basketball it is not just the jimmie and joes which is what a lot of people want to believe.

Right now AU is pretty bad in all 3 big sports and our fans still make us a top 10 revenue producing school. How much more money would AU make with a successful athletic department?

Well we probably would be there, but some very good players aren't on the team any more and we just had a player that was throwing games-can't blame a coach for that. This year's freshmen have promise, just need some time to mature. I think next year we turn the corner.

we just had a player that was throwing games

Never saw any conclusion on that issue. Strange that it was in the news and then gone almost immediately. Even our favorite media watchdog, ESPN, dropped coverage of the claim almost immediately and they rarely need evidence to convict a person or school.

Is this still an open issue or were the legal authorities and NCAA unable to show that the kid actually benefitted or threw games? He was so inconsistent anyway, it was probably difficult to distinguish any intentional actions from just his "normal" game.

As noted, after a rough start, TB seems to be pulling a team together that might stay together long enough to be competitive in the league.

Oh I agree AU64 there are some guys out there in AAU who are shady and are in it for the wrong reasons. But I trust our coaches, they are smart and know what they are doing. One day the staffs great connections in Memphis are going to pay off and we are going to land a stud out of there. We are getting closer and closer each year.

Another year, another losing season in the making with no likely quality wins in SEC play. Bring on the 7 footers who will likely not be athletic enough to play in the SEC, but hey they can get a double double vs Samford or Maryland Eastern Shore!!!

Another year, another losing season in the making with no likely quality wins in SEC play. Bring on the 7 footers who will likely not be athletic enough to play in the SEC, but hey they can get a double double vs Samford or Maryland Eastern Shore!!!

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling::thumbsdown:

ok

Auburn is 5-8 right now and the SEC isn't very loaded but name 4 teams Auburn can beat straight up in the league?

Auburn is 5-8 right now and the SEC isn't very loaded but name 4 teams Auburn can beat straight up in the league?

Hard to say....so why don't we wait and play them and see what happens? We all might be surprised. :dunno:

Phillip Marshall@PMARSHONAU

Another big blow for Auburn basketball teamhttp://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Another-big-blow-for-Auburn-basketball-team-15425208 via @247Sports

Junior guard Chris Denson, who has averaged 15.2 points per game since becoming eligible in December, is the second Auburn player in a week to be lost to a stress fracture in his foot.

Denson is expected to be out 4-5 weeks. Freshman guard Jordan Price was lost to the same injury last week.

Phillip Marshall@PMARSHONAU

Another big blow for Auburn basketball teamhttp://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Another-big-blow-for-Auburn-basketball-team-15425208 via @247Sports

Junior guard Chris Denson, who has averaged 15.2 points per game since becoming eligible in December, is the second Auburn player in a week to be lost to a stress fracture in his foot.

Denson is expected to be out 4-5 weeks. Freshman guard Jordan Price was lost to the same injury last week.

I hate to hear that. I wish them both a speedy recovery.

I guess the season is over with now. It's not like we could beat anyone good without them. A team like last year's ACC tourney champion FSU will just mop the floor with us.

When oh when will anything good happen in AU Basketball?

troll-face-dancando.gif

we are 6-7 and we can straight up beat Alabama,LSU,UGA,Vandy,MSU, USCe, Texas A&M and we could also probably beat Arky and Ole Miss once.

we are 6-7 and we can straight up beat Alabama,LSU,UGA,Vandy,MSU, USCe, Texas A&M and we could also probably beat Arky and Ole Miss once.

From video it looked like a reasonable crowd last night. If students get behind the team and give the team a real "home court advantage" that could make the difference in some of the SEC games. The arena is designed where the students are right on the court-side and they should be able to make enough noise to affect the opposition.....hope it works out that way for the LSU game.

Crowd noise does not put points on the board.

I am quite sure, in fact 100% sure, you have never been to a basketball game. Rattle the visiting team, turnover, then they get flustered another turnover, that is called an offensive run. You need to go to a game one day.

Crowd noise does not put points on the board.

I am quite sure, in fact 100% sure, you have never been to a basketball game. Rattle the visiting team, turnover, then they get flustered another turnover, that is called an offensive run. You need to go to a game one day.

:lmao: +1

Archived