For You Negative Basketball Fans

jwmboom7

Barbee coached four years at UTEP and got better every year and has improved from year one to year two at AU. He's still a young coach. Coach K was 11-17 in his third year at Duke. ....and look now. You never know how things will turn out but impatience is not a virtue.

Seems that lots of folks need a dose of reality about what it takes to build a BB program from the point that ours had sunk by the time TB got here. He's taken some chances on marginal students as recruits...and lost most of them. But this past year he has been accumulating some talent and they just need time to develop.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barbee coached four years at UTEP and got better every year and has improved from year one to year two at AU. He's still a young coach. Coach K was 11-17 in his third year at Duke. ....and look now. You never know how things will turn out but impatience is not a virtue.

Seems that lots of folks need a dose of reality about what it takes to build a BB program from the point that ours had sunk by the time TB got here. He's taken some chances on marginal students as recruits...and lost most of them. But this past year he has been accumulating some talent and they just need time to develop.

Couldn't have said it better AU64!

I agree. Well said. It seems many in our fanbase ar far to impatient, it doesn't matter what sport it is. I think Coach Barbee has us headed in the right direction.

Call me what you like but I have not seen the improvement we should be seeing in a third year coach. I am, and have been a season ticket holder. I do attend the games I can get to and try to put someone in my seats if I cant go. I am certainly not happy with what I have seen on the court. In my line of work you would be gone or on extremely thin ice with his results. It is results driven.

In Barbee's, or any AU coach's third year, we should not be losing to Winthrop. We now have a 5-6 record in non-conference play. If history is any indication conference play will be tougher. It's pretty hard to be optimistic, patient and so forth when there is little sign of progress.

I don't know about Winthrop...they gave Ohio State all the Buckeyes wanted last week so maybe they are that bad. It can happen to anyone...as example, Bama lost to Mercer and someone else last week and meanwhile.

As for AU, we got an important starter (Denson) back for only the second or third game and we are playing a lot of young guys still looking for some chemistry. TB's first year was mostly with Lebo's team and last season's team is mostly gone because some risky recruits did not pan out. That's on TB of course but they were certainly more competitive...unfortunately they are mosty gone now too.

JMO, but it's a bit early to draw any conclusions one way or the other about this season. My biggest complaint about the play in the Winthrop game was Sullivan hogging the ball.....basically took all his team mates out of the game. I don't see that happening again....or at least I hope not.

One recruiting class can get you to the dance.

Barbee has to create consistency. It may take five years or more, but a top high school recruit wants to go to a program with potential to get to the post season.

Facilities and atmosphere go only so far. This is a program where the HC needs more than three years to change the culture . . .

One recruiting class can get you to the dance.

Barbee has to create consistency. It may take five years or more, but a top high school recruit wants to go to a program with potential to get to the post season.

Facilities and atmosphere go only so far. This is a program where the HC needs more than three years to change the culture . . .

Exactly. It is not like top recruits are knocking down Auburn's door to come play here. Barbee is trying to change an entire culture, regarding Auburn basketball. Our "golden years" was when I was in school. That was closing in on thirty years ago. I hope we can keep Coach Barbee around for three more years and see where we are then. I believe, if that happens, people will be verry happy with where our basketball program is.

What is our record so far this season?

I admit that I can be very negative about the basketball program; however, for those of you that believe that Auburn will never have a good basketball team or program in the future, watch this. This video always gives me a little glimmer of hope.

Great post and ^5 to whomever made the video. I had not seen or knew of the last ESPN segment.

Also attended the LSU game that year... dropped $90 for two tickets in the uppermost corner of BeardEaves. worth every penny.

dunk after dunk after dunk... Smith's alley-oop from halfcourt, Porter's outta nowhere windmill... beating LSU by 50ish. GREAT Game.

A drop at Arky, Kentucky x2, and Michael Redd + Scoonie Penn were the only things able to hold AU back that year.

Let's face it...SEC basketball is the pits. It's not just AU.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/358345-sec-hoops-on-shaky-ground

Hard to understand why or how all these big time athletic factories can't field reasonable basketball teams with all the money that goes into those programs.

Before the season, my hopes and goals for the AU basketball team were 2 out of the following 3:

• win 50% of the conference games
  • make it past the first round of the SEC tournament
  • make it to the NCAAs or NIT

I still have a small amount of hope!! But with each loss I realize that we probably won't get there this year. Not necessarily saying that CTB is not the right guy but.....his most productive players are Lebo leftovers. Kentucky reloads with frehsmen every year. In 3 years, he should be able to get at least a a half a dozen that are making meaningful contributions.

"Kentucky reloads with frehsmen every year"

That's true at the moment but Auburn isn't Kentucky and no body else in the SEC is either. Of the Rivals top 50 this year, 5 players are coming to SEC schools and 4 of those are to UK. If you go down the top 100 a few more come to the SEC ...mostly one each to a bunch of schools including AU. Other than UK, the SEC is not getting the best players and looking at the list, not that many of the top HS players are from the SEC states.

TB's early recruiting efforts bombed out as noted, but I think he's learned from those mistakes....at least I hope so. This year's class looks like they might be able to stay around long enough to develop the maturity to win in the SEC.

This year? I'm not so confident..... but if we can keep these guys in school more than one year I think we are moving in the right direction.

My hopes for this year's team was that they would make it to the NIT. With the experience we had coming back, I thought we'd be able to get hot and win enough games to get into the NIT.

Barbee took UTEP to the NCAA Tournament his 4th year, also his last year. I guess it's easier to recruit at UTEP than it is at Auburn.

Barbee took UTEP to the NCAA Tournament his 4th year, also his last year. I guess it's easier to recruit at UTEP than it is at Auburn.

its easier to recruit at just about any school than Auburn with the obstacles CTB has had to face so far.

its easier to recruit at just about any school than Auburn with the obstacles CTB has had to face so far.

I don't see this as JJ's fault...seems some folks just looking for any excuse to rag about him. He pushed and raised the money for the arena and hired a good coach in TB...that's about all he can do at this point.

JJ has given TB all the tools....now it's up the TB to prove he can win in a tough situation and up to AU students to demonstrate that basketball is important ......all the time...not just when the team is winning.

My hopes for this year's team was that they would make it to the NIT. With the experience we had coming back, I thought we'd be able to get hot and win enough games to get into the NIT.

This is Barbee's 3rd year if you were implying that it's Barbee's 4th year at Auburn, also.

This is Barbee's 3rd year if you were implying that it's Barbee's 4th year at Auburn, also.

No. I wasn't implying that it was his 4th year at Auburn. Just that he got UTEP to the NCAA Tournament in his 4th year.

No. I wasn't implying that it was his 4th year at Auburn. Just that he got UTEP to the NCAA Tournament in his 4th year.

Oh gotcha. Couldn't tell by the wording

I don't see this as JJ's fault...seems some folks just looking for any excuse to rag about him. He pushed and raised the money for the arena and hired a good coach in TB...that's about all he can do at this point.

JJ has given TB all the tools....now it's up the TB to prove he can win in a tough situation and up to AU students to demonstrate that basketball is important ......all the time...not just when the team is winning.

JJ has absolutely not given CTB all the tools needed I can promise you that. JJ does not care about the program at all and does not support it.

Auburn Basketball without some information that is a poor statement. I am not a JJ fan but we have a new arena, he hired TB, I don't think your statement is valid without information. I don't know you and your assurance does not hold water without facts. Not trying to stir something up, that is just to broad of a statement without some sort of facts to back it up. Just asking for facts to help me understand why they are no better this year than last year. (so far) JJ cannot coach the games for him. Changing cultures excuse is just wearing OB colored glasses. That's BS.

Auburn Basketball without some information that is a poor statement. I am not a JJ fan but we have a new arena, he hired TB, I don't think your statement is valid without information. I don't know you and your assurance does not hold water without facts. Not trying to stir something up, that is just to broad of a statement without some sort of facts to back it up. Just asking for facts to help me understand why they are no better this year than last year. (so far) JJ cannot coach the games for him. Changing cultures excuse is just wearing OB colored glasses. That's BS.

++

Archived