Open or Closed practices.

DThriftWarEagle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably closed. It's going to be a tough Spring, a lot of hard knocks out there and some tough love - no point in airing our laundry for the interwebs and twitters to broadcast all over creation.

Do many SEC teams have open practices anymore? IIRC, I think Petrino had open practices at Arky when he was there - and I think Nutt opened them at OM.....

I vote for closed, nothing to be gained by open practices except negatives stuff. You don't give the enemy any looks that they can't get from tapes of previous games. I remember there was a lot of chatter that bama stole our signs in 2010 Iron Bowl. I agree with that. I just recently watched that game and it looked like the whole bama team was waiting for the runner and/or receiver that first half. We finally caught on and sent plays in by messenger or some other system..The rest is recorded history. As thorough as the midget is I am sure he probably had some guy doing nothing but taking notes on our signs the whole season. You must remember he learned most of his "skills" under Bill Bilacheck, the master of stealing stuff of opposing teams.

Yeah and all the arm chair coaches will be stating what's right or wrong....keep me closed...I can wait to see the product in Saturdays this fall

Hope they close them and have a lot of come to Jesus moments in the coming practices. A lot of these guys need it.

Hell no, CGM is the most one of the most protective coaches in all of football at any level. I wouldn't be suprised if the offense practices in the indoor all season because he'd doesn't want to chance anyone "walking by" Samford catching a look at what our system looks like and how we are using our players.

No need to have open pratices. We can watch on Saturdays this fall.

I have always thought that the layout of the new indoor facility blocks off the view of the outdoor pratice field too.

There's nothing going on in the spring that opponents won't know about before game 2. Spurrier has opened all practices this year to the public. The press, students, Joe Fan, and the idle curious can watch all the Gamecock practices they want.

I kinda' hope ours are open, but it's no big deal one way or the other.

Depends on the practice, right? For example, walking through basic schemes in shorts vs installing specific plays for a specific team week leading up to gameday.

They'll probably keep them closed. Is there a benefit in that? Well, if the coaches think so then I'll have to defer to their judgement but, Im pretty sure everyone knows what Gus is going to do with his HUNH, wildcat, jet sweeps, reverses, vertical passing game etc. Being able to stop it is where opposing coaches have struggled.

They'll probably keep them closed. Is there a benefit in that? Well, if the coaches think so then I'll have to defer to their judgement but, Im pretty sure everyone knows what Gus is going to do with his HUNH, wildcat, jet sweeps, reverses, vertical passing game etc. Being able to stop it is where opposing coaches have struggled.

After I saw our offense in action throughout the 2011 season, I didn't care to ever see another jet sweep, reverse or wildcat at Auburn. I'm gonna have learn to warm up to them again I guess..... ;)

After I saw our offense in action throughout the 2011 season, I didn't care to ever see another jet sweep, reverse or wildcat at Auburn. I'm gonna have learn to warm up to them again I guess..... ;)

No kidding..frankly I hate those plays but the logic is it keeps the defense honest in covering sideline to sideline. Im with you.. though...I wouldn't care if I never saw another one of those plays lose 3- 5 yards as they so consistently have done.

After I saw our offense in action throughout the 2011 season, I didn't care to ever see another jet sweep, reverse or wildcat at Auburn. I'm gonna have learn to warm up to them again I guess..... ;)/>

No kidding..frankly I hate those plays but the logic is it keeps the defense honest in covering sideline to sideline. Im with you.. though...I wouldn't care if I never saw another one of those plays lose 3- 5 yards as they so consistently have done.

They didn't work because they weren't being executed to Gus's standards. When you have a coach that demands perfection like Gus does, these plays work better.

After I saw our offense in action throughout the 2011 season, I didn't care to ever see another jet sweep, reverse or wildcat at Auburn. I'm gonna have learn to warm up to them again I guess..... ;)/>

They didn't work because they weren't being executed to Gus's standards. When you have a coach that demands perfection like Gus does, these plays work better.

This is true - most any scheme is effective if it's executed to perfection. But what happens if your opponent's coach demands perfection from his defensive players and they play up to his standards?

I'm looking forward to some big time "chess matches" this season. May the best master win!

This is true - most any scheme is effective if it's executed to perfection. But what happens if your opponent's coach demands perfection from his defensive players and they play up to his standards?

I'm looking forward to some big time "chess matches" this season. May the best master win!

Comes down to the players. Whoever blocks and tackles better...the one on one matchups, whip your man.

We all know the jet sweep is going to hang around. What I would like to see is 1) Who will be the "OMac" guy and 2) Will they show the tendancy to turn up field and take a 2 yard gain as opposed to trying to out run a busted play and lose 3-5 yards.

Count me in the group that hopes the Wildcat is a thing of the past with Malzahn. I mean unless we have a Peterson or some other wordly talent on the team that just demands the ball being in their hands then I don't want to see it.

The crap we saw in Malzahn's last year at AU wasn't his offense. The 2009 and 2010 offense was his stuff. Chizik chained Gus after halftime of the Clemson game, when we had momentum and arguably could have blown them out if he wasn't restrained by his head coach.

The jet sweeps and reverses do not create offense. They complement the offense, and enhance it. If you cant block well enough to get some push and create a running threat to make a defense's 2ndand3rd levels cheat toward the inside, then the jet sweep and reverse are almost useless. The idea is to make the defense choose their poison. I love the plays because i understand why they dont always work.

The jet sweeps and reverses do not create offense. They complement the offense, and enhance it. If you cant block well enough to get some push and create a running threat to make a defense's 2ndand3rd levels cheat toward the inside, then the jet sweep and reverse are almost useless. The idea is to make the defense choose their poison. I love the plays because i understand why they dont always work.

I felt like they sometimes looked like desperation plays when we ran them over and over and over - the reverses, wrap around draws, bubble screens, etc. I'm just not into the flashy stuff I guess.

IMO, just line man up and run the ball down the opponents throat. Let them know exactly what you are about to run and make them try to stop you. That was "Auburn" football not that long ago.

I felt like they sometimes looked like desperation plays when we ran them over and over and over - the reverses, wrap around draws, bubble screens, etc. I'm just not into the flashy stuff I guess.

IMO, just line man up and run the ball down the opponents throat. Let them know exactly what you are about to run and make them try to stop you. That was "Auburn" football not that long ago.

The problem is, teams can stop that now. Good 300 lb D-tackles will stop you from running the ball down their throat and hand the ball, plus your RB's head back to you if you don't do something different. Dye's insistence on NOT doing something different cost us several games and a national championship or two during his time here.

you always want to have the ability to run it down their proverbial throat. And yes make them stop you thats the idea, when that safety cheats up to stop you his ars gets burned with a jet sweep. It dont matter how strong you are, you can still keepem guessing. We havent had a strong oline since 05/06. Gus brought creativity and the line looked strong.

Archived