Southern Miss game tonight

Good win. I don't follow college baseball enough to know where USM ranks on the totem pole but I gotta think this is a more impressive win than teams like Jack St., Alabama State, etc.

8-12 overall. They have a very good program, but have fallen off a little since their run to Omaha in 2009 (although they did win the Conference USA title in '10 & '11). They currently have the worst record in C-USA, which is an excellent baseball league. We would do well to play the equivalent of USM in all of our non SEC games.

USM is 8-12 I believe with a terribly soft schedule. Pretty low on that totem pole

You serious?

They've played more games against SEC opponents than we have, and are 3-3. You are aware that Central Arkansas is 17-3 and ranked in the top 30 right?

2010 & 2011 Conference USA champions

12 NCAA Regional Appearances

2009 CWS

Where does that put us on your totem pole?

Pretty low on that totem pole

2010 & 2011 Conference champions

2009 CWS

At the bottom, which is exactly where the writers that follow SEC baseball picked us to finish. I know that predictions aren't always correct, but when a group of informed people place your team at the bottom, it's a pretty good indication of the (lack of) respect your program is generating. Under Pawloski, AU has become to SEC baseball what Kentucky is to SEC football. That is, expected to finish last and will generally be somewhere close to last when the dust has settled in late May.

2009 CWS

At the bottom, which is exactly where the writers that follow SEC baseball picked us to finish. I know that predictions aren't always correct, but when a group of informed people place your team at the bottom, it's a pretty good indication of the (lack of) respect your program is generating. Under Pawloski, AU has become to SEC baseball what Kentucky is to SEC football. That is, expected to finish last and will generally be somewhere close to last when the dust has settled in late May.

I think the point was about USM...and suggesting that they are a better team than a couple folks give them credit for being. We know your view of AU's team so nothing new here. We will know more in a few weeks once we get past the "murderers row" part of our schedule.

2009 CWS

I don't understand? If you base seasonal predictions on (informed people) and the past, why even bother following or supporting the team when in your opinion the outcome is predetermined? If you follow baseball you understand their are variables involved in each aspect of every game. Those variables, such as those in last night's game can change the outcome in an instant. I hope your lack of faith and enthusiasm towards the possibilities for this team isn't rampant among Tiger fans and alumni. gee

wow....i truly wish fans of the program would post here. Its like reading posts from little ole ladies complaining about anything than can stir up. Let me clue u in...Auburn has not been strong since Baird was here. The current restrictions that AU has for its baseball program with number of scholarships that we can offer (self-imposed) puts us behind the eigh-ball compared to Vandy, S carolina ect....No matter what this team does, its hit with criticism, as well as the coaching staff. We are 15-6....3 losses to the number 3 team in the country. Coach Pawlowski is a great recruiter..true some never make it to campus but do we need to recruit less qualified players? No, u recruit the best and hope a few make it here. Also, Coach P recruits quality kids who graduate, and if they become an issue, they are gone..no question. The pitching staff has vastly improved. Hitting has been up a down but that's baseball..Give it some time, You have the right coaching staff, a young spirited team....be a fan and pull for these kids and leadership, dont stick everything under a microscope..we are the middle of a tough early SEC record, but i think this team will suprise you...sure there will be down times, but with the youth and coaching staff, there all bright days ahead.....sure i scratch my head at getting picked off, or a strike out with one out and a guy on third, but folks, that is baseball.....pull for your team....through good and bad...but dont bring em down because they didn't get the big hit, or mess up a bunt....

Coach Pawlowski is a great recruiter..true some never make it to campus but do we need to recruit less qualified players? No, u recruit the best and hope a few make it here. Also, Coach P recruits quality kids who graduate, and if they become an issue, they are gone..no question.

If you're an insider on Pawlowski's recruiting and how he handles players, then explain to me what happened to Tyler Dial?

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2012-13/div1/players/tylerdial4i01

wow....i truly wish fans of the program would post here. Its like reading posts from little ole ladies complaining about anything than can stir up. Let me clue u in...Auburn has not been strong since Baird was here. The current restrictions that AU has for its baseball program with number of scholarships that we can offer (self-imposed) puts us behind the eigh-ball compared to Vandy, S carolina ect....No matter what this team does, its hit with criticism, as well as the coaching staff. We are 15-6....3 losses to the number 3 team in the country. Coach Pawlowski is a great recruiter..true some never make it to campus but do we need to recruit less qualified players? No, u recruit the best and hope a few make it here. Also, Coach P recruits quality kids who graduate, and if they become an issue, they are gone..no question. The pitching staff has vastly improved. Hitting has been up a down but that's baseball..Give it some time, You have the right coaching staff, a young spirited team....be a fan and pull for these kids and leadership, dont stick everything under a microscope..we are the middle of a tough early SEC record, but i think this team will suprise you...sure there will be down times, but with the youth and coaching staff, there all bright days ahead.....sure i scratch my head at getting picked off, or a strike out with one out and a guy on third, but folks, that is baseball.....pull for your team....through good and bad...but dont bring em down because they didn't get the big hit, or mess up a bunt....

It is interesting that people are not supposed to single out and criticize individual football players...and even basketball players but many of the folks on here have no problem slamming individual players over mistakes in a baseball game. Baseball is basically an individual game played in a team structure so it's easy to identify an individual mistake ......but some people act as failing to hit in a "clutch situation" was some kind of character flaw or a coaching error.

be happy to give u exactly what happened to Tyler Dial.......will not incriminate a young man....u draw your on conclusions...Dial weighed about 190 coming out of russell county. When he came to Auburn, and the season came around, 168 lbs....do the math,,,,,can u think of a reason why.?..then was offered a red shirt i think that was a pretty sweet deal.....well the young man decided to move on end of story....

The current restrictions that AU has for its baseball program with number of scholarships that we can offer (self-imposed) puts us behind the eigh-ball

I think you are confused with basketball. There are no self-imposed restrictions on AU baseball recruiting. Like every other division 1 baseball team, we have 11.7 scholarships to work with.

As far as us having the "right coaching staff" this is the fifth year that I've been watching them. Obviously, I don't think the right staff is in place.

"That's baseball" works for one play, one game, even one series. After five years "That's Baseball" no longer works. After five years, failure of the coaching staff to address weaknesses replaces "That's Baseball".

Like everybody's staff, our pitchers look good because of the deadened bats. The expected backside of that is worse hitters. What we've got is the same ol' same ol' with dead bats making the pitchers look better and the hitters look worse.

Yes, the schedule is tough. Recently, seven of the top 12 ranked teams were from the SEC. Auburn wasn't one of them. After five years, if our coach can't get us into the top half of the conference it should be time for a change. Unless, of course, people are satisfied with being a bottom-third team and seldom making post-season play. I'm not satisfied with that and I hope enough other AU fans will express their dissatisfaction that a change will come after this season is over.

be happy to give u exactly what happened to Tyler Dial.......will not incriminate a young man....u draw your on conclusions...Dial weighed about 190 coming out of russell county. When he came to Auburn, and the season came around, 168 lbs....do the math,,,,,can u think of a reason why.?..then was offered a red shirt i think that was a pretty sweet deal.....well the young man decided to move on end of story....

That's real big of you. You won't incriminate him, but you'll speculate and even strongly insinuate he was juicing? Wow.

The end of the story is yet to come, he's absolutely raking at Gulf Coast. Third in hits, second in doubles, second in total bases, third in RBI. IN THE FREAKIN' COUNTRY.

I never said a word about "juicing" or anything else......simply stated the facts...u have no freaking clue of the Dial situation none..zip, zero zlich.....dont give a hoot if he was about the break the alll time rbi record...

ill address the issue of recruitment...true fact of 11.7 recruits..the difference is that many schools offer additional "perks" for recruits....nothing illegal of course, but offer out of state tuition assistance ect that Auburn does not offer.....

u have no freaking clue of the Dial situation none..zip, zero zlich.....dont give a hoot if he was about the break the alll time rbi record...

You're quite the speculator, but you're dead wrong there (again).

ill address the issue of recruitment...true fact of 11.7 recruits..the difference is that many schools offer additional "perks" for recruits....nothing illegal of course, but offer out of state tuition assistance ect that Auburn does not offer.....

NCAA rules strictly prohibit offering any such "perks" for student athletes that are not available to non-athletes.

Academic scholarships and supplemental aid are standard fare at many schools for baseball players. It depends on the money available at each particular school. I don't know how many times this story must be told on this board but it's obvious that some people can't read just don't want to do the research since they keep coming back with the same incorrect information. http://www.star-tele...uggle-with.html The following paragraph is from the article above: Some private schools such as Rice and Stanford have huge endowments that help fill in the scholarship holes on their rosters and allow them to supplement their 11.7 baseball scholarships with financial aid that covers most, if not all, of a student's tuition, room and board. Or perhaps this comment from the same news article.

For a fast-growing school such as TCU, with an endowment of $1.2 billion, there are more students applying for financial aid, meaning there is less money to go around. Five years ago when TCU signed a class of nine players including Kaleb Merck, Kyle Winkler, Taylor Featherston and Brance Rivera, seven of them received some sort of academic aid, Schlossnagle said

AU64, those kids CANNOT be given academic scholarship aid unless they are academically qualified to receive it. Auburn could do the same if we got A students that are also baseball players.

As for other "perks", as noted above that is a big NCAA no-no.

I don't think you understand the limits of the excuse provided by that article you keep posting. If it were legal to provide extra benefits to baseball players, Auburn would be providing those benefits. If an A student baseball player decides to choose Harvard, Stanford or Vandy, who can blame him? Endowment size has nothing to do with it.

For a fast-growing school such as TCU, with an endowment of $1.2 billion, there are more students applying for financial aid, meaning there is less money to go around. Five years ago when TCU signed a class of nine players including Kaleb Merck, Kyle Winkler, Taylor Featherston and Brance Rivera, seven of them received some sort of academic aid, Schlossnagle said

Did you even read the entire article, or just cut and paste to suit your position? The next paragraph to your quote above:

"If those same guys were to apply today I don't know if any of them would have gotten academic aid," Schlossnagle said. "It's more competitive -- my first year we had 4,500 [applicants] for 1,600 spots and now you have 22,000."

Which obviously points out that the "perks" which continue to be alluded to by the uninformed, cannot be offered to student athletes to the exclusion of non-athletes.

But don't just take it on your cited article alone, go to the NCAA website for commentary on the Pepperdine (private institution on steroids) violations within the baseball program:

"From 2007-08, the university’s financial aid office “prioritized” students demonstrating particular gifts or talents when awarding non-athletic scholarships. Athletics participation was one of the factors considered to be a gift or talent, so the scholarships awarded should have been, but were not, counted toward team scholarship totals."

http://www.ncaa.org/...hletics program

I guess that makes you Jay Gogue.

If an A student baseball player decides to choose Harvard, Stanford or Vandy, who can blame him? Endowment size has nothing to do with it.

To your point from the same article...

Since 2007, only five private schools have advanced to the CWS, including TCU in 2010 and Rice in 2007-08.

If an A student baseball player decides to choose Harvard, Stanford or Vandy, who can blame him? Endowment size has nothing to do with it.

To your point from the same article...

Since 2007, only five private schools have advanced to the CWS, including TCU in 2010 and Rice in 2007-08.

That's right, which when taken with the failure of the "Hope Scholarship Schools" to dominate the SEC standings makes all the excuse-making for the failure of Auburn's baseball program ring very hollow.

There is no situation or set of situations that put the AU baseball program at a disadvantage, recruiting wise or otherwise. All we need is a head coach and coaching staff that are capable of getting the job done in a successful manner. Clearly, we don't have that at the moment.

Archived