Something of note on Marshall & Mason

rebdawg

Should Nick Marshall reach the 1000 yard mark (quite likely since he's just 88 yards away) it would give Auburn two backs over a thousand yards in the same year. This has only happened about 50 times in NCAA history and three of those would have occurred at Auburn and two of those under Gus Malzahn.

Additionally, Tre Mason currently sits at 1317 yards which is 468 yards short of Bo Jackson's single season rushing record (1785). To tie it he would need to rush for 234 yards in each of the last two games which, though possible, is highly unlikely. But if Mason rushes for his current per-game average (110/game) he would end the season with 1537 yards which is 64 better than Cam Newton (1473) and just 30 yards shy of second place Rudi Johnson (1567).

I think it is safe to say that Tre will end this season with the 3rd best rushing performance in school history. I believe chances are better than average the he'll have the second best rushing performance in school history especially considering he has averaged 141 over the last four games (affectionately known as Amen Corner). Breaking Bo's record with just two games remaining would be miraculous but if this season has taught us anything it's that miracles still happen and often in bunches.

War eagle.

Tre is a machine. Our Oline are a bunch of animals. War Damn Eagle! That is all.

Just imagine how many yard he would have if he would have been carrying the load the whole season. There were a couple of games that he only had like 6 carries. He would definitely be a contender for the Heisman. War Eagle and beat Mizzou!

Coaches have to be aware not to over-work him...personally I would like to see a little more of CAP in the middle of the game and then let Tre pound the opposing defense when he is fresh and they are gasping.

Just imagine how many yard he would have if he would have been carrying the load the whole season. There were a couple of games that he only had like 6 carries. He would definitely be a contender for the Heisman. War Eagle and beat Mizzou!

This is what makes next year so exciting already, assuming Tre returns. Our o-line will have a hole to fill; but we'll return most of it. Marshall will be back as the only 'repeat' QB for Gus, having had a bowl practice and an entire off-season to work on getting better. Next year sets up very well for us.

Tre now needs 164 yards (exactly what he put on Bama) to tie Bo and 165 to surpass him. Of all the amazing things this team has done this year this is the most surprising to me.

Archived