Quick Recruiting Question

Dlewis23

With the firing of Cutcliffe, are there any recruits that could possibly swing our way. I know that Tubby has always done well in Mississippi.

not related to ole miss but ali sharief is probably going to decommit soon. he is probably going to alabama. he is probably our worst recruit anyway and knows he would have never gotten any playing time.

not related to ole miss but ali sharief is probably going to decommit soon. he is probably going to alabama.  he is probably our worst recruit anyway and knows he would have never gotten any playing time.

128222[/snapback]

you're right that he may not have gotten much PT, so I can't blame him for going where he can get some..... *cough* bama *cough*

Aside from Powe, Trott also had a lot of interest in um as of a few weeks ago. Other than those 2, there are only a couple of guys worth having (IMO) that we're competing with um to get.

not related to ole miss but ali sharief is probably going to decommit soon. he is probably going to alabama.  he is probably our worst recruit anyway and knows he would have never gotten any playing time.

128222[/snapback]

you're right that he may not have gotten much PT, so I can't blame him for going where he can get some..... *cough* bama *cough*

Aside from Powe, Trott also had a lot of interest in um as of a few weeks ago. Other than those 2, there are only a couple of guys worth having (IMO) that we're competing with um to get.

128224[/snapback]

Isnt bama Way deep at RB? Why would he get more playing time there?

I also thought he was a great sign. We are not that deep next year. We could use a quality RB for the future too.

Y'all sound like a bunch of Bammers.

"He don't wanna play with Bama?! Oh, that's alright. He woulda sucked anyways. He was our worst recruit."

Sharrief would've been a valued addition. I think we've got bigger fish on the line, but don't badmouth the kid for wanting to decommit. Bad form.

Next season we will be OK at RB again. Irons will be eligible, Stewart (Fr), Tre Smith, Brad Lester (Fr), Gerald Watson (Fr). I don't think RB is a huge need this recruiting year.

I wasn't badmouthing him, either. If he wants to stay here, I welcome him the same as any of the others. If he wants to go elsewhere for PT then good luck to the kid, whatever he decides.

His decision may have nothing to do with playing time, so what do I know? It's all conjecture until they sign on the dotted line and show up for summer practice, anyway.

I thought we recruited Sharief as a safety.

128286[/snapback]

Ali is saying that AU originally recruited him as a RB, but now is telling him he would be better suited playing defense at AU. Bama is recruiting him as a RB. That is why he is interested in us.

And next year we wont be very deep at RB. We are deep at FB...but only have Darby and Johns at RB. That would be fine, if everyone stayed healthy. But considering our recent odds...i think we have better chances of seeing lighting strike the field every game.

I thought we recruited Sharief as a safety.

128286[/snapback]

a 5'8 safety? I think not.

however, i did hear the coaches considered moving him to DB and/or special teams. nothing official though.

I've heard the comments that we were recruiting him to play defense and they do NOT make any sense to me. The reports that I see list him at 5'8" to 5'10" and around 200 pounds. We may need some CB's, but not short CB's and we're solid with big, fast and talented young players at safety. Wonder is the "defense" thing was a way to get him to look elsewhere and not to have to tell him we're backing off on him? I don't mean this as sour grapes, I have been wondering about this for several weeks and this seemed the appropriate time to ask.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I've heard the comments that we were recruiting him to play defense and they do NOT make any sense to me.  The reports that I see list him at 5'8" to 5'10" and around 200 pounds.  We may need some CB's, but not short CB's and we're solid with big, fast and talented young players at safety.  Wonder is the "defense" thing was a way to get him to look elsewhere and not to have to tell him we're backing off on him?  I don't mean this as sour grapes, I have been wondering about this for several weeks and this seemed the appropriate time to ask.

128310[/snapback]

Along the same mold as Sharrief is Desomnd Jennings of Pinson Valley in Birmingham. Taller, with a frame that could carry 220 easy and a hell of an athlete. Anyone know which way he is leaning?

Here are links for both Ole Miss & Florida. It is possible that the coaching changes at both schools could improve AUBURN's chances of signing some of those recruits.

Ole Miss commits:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=177&p=9&c=8

Ole Miss prospects:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=177&p=9&c=4

Florida commits:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=168&p=9&c=8

Florida prospects:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=168&p=9&c=4

Don't have the link but read a quote of his the other day that Au was recruiting him as a CB and AL told him they thought he was the best RB in the state...ans he said "Who wouldn't listen to that?"...so he more than likely will go to AL since he can play RB....

Sherrief will decommit from Auburn very, very soon - and committ to bama. You are all basically right about this.

It should be noted that with commitments from Trahan (4*), Horton (4*), Stamper (4*), Sharpe (4*), and Blackmon (5*) the need for LB/Safeties is pretty much gone, and Ali is taking up a much needed scholarship. Ali plays with speed and heart - but just doesn't have the size+ability that these guys have.

However, in the meantime bama has told him he could play RB - wereas we are telling him his future would be in our secondary.

This is a win-win situation in my opinion. Sherrief has told other school's coaches that he wants to go to AU, but the opportunity for him is better at bama. Meanwhile, I think our coaches would love to see him in an AU uniform, but have better opportunities to fill it. Therefore, I think we can look at this as a positive move for both Auburn and Sherrief.

Jerrell Powe will committ to Auburn, period, end of discussion, no question. With the same amount of certainty I will also tell you that we won't qualify. Neither will Montez Billings. All of our other commits are almost certain qualifiers though.

i said early on that i didnt know why we were so excited about sharief. ive seen him play two or three times and while he is a good athlete, i didnt think he was the type of player who could come in and get playing time in his freshman or sophmore year.

128222[/snapback]

128224[/snapback]

Isnt bama Way deep at RB? Why would he get more playing time there?

I also thought he was a great sign. We are not that deep next year. We could use a quality RB for the future too.

128257[/snapback]

We have Kenny Irons, Brad Lester, Carl Stewart, Tre Smith...and I think one more that I can't recall...oh yeah...Gerald Watson...we're pretty loaded at RB.

It should be noted that with commitments from Trahan (4*), Horton (4*), Stamper (4*), Sharpe (4*), and Blackmon (5*) the need for LB/Safeties is pretty much gone, and Ali is taking up a much needed scholarship.  Ali plays with speed and heart - but just doesn't have the size+ability that these guys have.

128368[/snapback]

What about the other 5 star linebackers? What if they both commit to us?? The number 2 linebacker in the nation still has us high on his list

Archived