SEC staying with 8 conference game schedule

WarTiger

Thanks for the info.....

I hope most people realize that the whole thing about SEC teams must schedule at least 1 major OOC opponent realizes that this isn't going to change how we schedule at all. Who can name the last year we did not play an OOC game against a team from one of the power conferences? The ones that do that are the Kentucky and mississippi schools who are just trying to get some Ws on their record.

I would have no problem with the SEC mandating that you can only schedule Div 1 teams. But I think AU shoud continue to schedule 2 games a year that are pretty much gauranteed Ws. Whether that win is against FL atlantic or west carolina I could care less.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I have not seen discussed is the fact that many small schools fund their entire football budget off of the "paycheck" games with the big schools. Losing these games will cripple many of the smaller programs. Plus they occasionally catch the big boys napping and pull an upset, which gives them exposure they couldn't buy. Yes, it's more entertaining for the fans to see more competitive games, but what about the damage we're doing to the "little guy"?

Gus is also talking about "strategic scheduling" (code for playing cupcake games) going forward with both the UGA and Bama games being on the road in even years. It makes sense from a competitive standpoint to make the game in between those two an easy one.

One thing I have not seen discussed is the fact that many small schools fund their entire football budget off of the "paycheck" games with the big schools. Losing these games will cripple many of the smaller programs. Plus they occasionally catch the big boys napping and pull an upset, which gives them exposure they couldn't buy. Yes, it's more entertaining for the fans to see more competitive games, but what about the damage we're doing to the "little guy"?

Gus is also talking about "strategic scheduling" (code for playing cupcake games) going forward with both the UGA and Bama games being on the road in even years. It makes sense from a competitive standpoint to make the game in between those two an easy one.

Absolute correct. Without the current scheduling practices by the big boys, schools like Troy, Southern Miss, UAB and many more would never have made it even to FCS. And if the big schools cease to play the FCS teams, look for those programs to downsize pretty quickly....back to Div II or Div lll.

Archived