Baseball vs. Kentucky - game 2

anfernee grier drives on down the line to left and slides in to 2nd for a 1 out double. Haecker up to bat.

Logan grounds one sharply to short, and it goes right under the short stop into left field. Grier scores from 2nd. 8-1 Auburn. 2 outs.

Grier singles to left, scores a run and the runners advance to 2nd and 3rd. Apparently off camera Glevenyak came off the bag at 3rd while the 3rd baseman still had the ball and he was tagged out to end the inning. The only camera angle replay they have shown so far didn't show it. Glevenyak was always standing on the bag in that clip. It's 9-1 Auburn going to bottom 7th.

Now the announcers are saying an Auburn runner scored, but missed 3rd rounding the bases and was called out. Auburn only sent one runner home in the inning and that run scored. I'm a little lost by that explanation.

Ok...Now they are saying that Connor Short missed 3rd base when he rounded the bag to score on the Grier single. SO, it's 8-1 now. Haecker leads off the 8th with a single to right.

Well AU pulls another amazing play....runner failed to touch third base on his way to scoring a run...and the umps took his run off the board so score reverts to 8-1 in the top of the 8th.

Don't think I've ever seen a run removed after an inning was over.

I still don't understand how they can make that call seeing as how Grier singled and that's the play that Short scored on. Haecker singled AFTER short scored and Glevenyak advanced to third then they said short missed the bag. I'm not at all well versed on the rules of the game of baseball but I'm pretty sure that any appeal on that runner missing the base has to be done before pitching to the next batter. Not sure how they could make that call then.

Trey Cochran-Gill comes in to pitch the 9th and sets Kentucky down in order. FINAL AUBURN WINS 8-1.

OK....got the win....15 hits tonight and hope the bats are hot again tomorrow. UK's pitching is their weak point and if Thompson can pitch his normal game he should be able to grab another win.

We need tomorrow in a bad way. Next weekend will be extremely tough but we need to win tomorrow and the midweek leading into next weeks finale.

I still don't understand how they can make that call seeing as how Grier singled and that's the play that Short scored on. Haecker singled AFTER short scored and Glevenyak advanced to third then they said short missed the bag. I'm not at all well versed on the rules of the game of baseball but I'm pretty sure that any appeal on that runner missing the base has to be done before pitching to the next batter. Not sure how they could make that call then.

Short (would have) scored on Grier's single in the seventh. Haecker led off the top of the eighth. That's a great job by the UK bench. They have someone assigned to each base runner to make sure they hit the bags as they advance. On the replay it was pretty clear that Short didn't touch third.

SUMMARY, TOP OF 7TH 0 RUN, 2 HIT, 0 ERROR(S), 2 LEFT ON BASE

aub-sm.png Grier, A. singled up the middle (0-0); Glevenyak, D advanced to second; Short, C. advanced to third, out at third 3B unassisted.

aub-sm.png Glevenyak, D singled (3-1 KBBBB); Short, C. advanced to second.

aub-sm.png Short, C. walked (3-0 BBBB).

SUBSTITUTION: Short, C. pinch ran for Thompson, K..

aub-sm.png Ebert, J. struck out swinging (1-2 BKKK).

aub-sm.png Tella, R. flied out to CF (3-2 BKBFB).

SUBSTITUTION: T. Martin to P for R. Combs.

START OF THE 7TH

Short scored on Grier's single. Haecker led off the top of the eighth. That's a great job by the UK bench. They have someone assigned to each base runner to make sure they hit the bags as they advance. On the replay it was pretty clear that Short didn't touch third.

SUMMARY, TOP OF 7TH 0 RUN, 2 HIT, 0 ERROR(S), 2 LEFT ON BASE

aub-sm.png Grier, A. singled up the middle (0-0); Glevenyak, D advanced to second; Short, C. advanced to third, out at third 3B unassisted.

aub-sm.png Glevenyak, D singled (3-1 KBBBB); Short, C. advanced to second.

aub-sm.png Short, C. walked (3-0 BBBB).

SUBSTITUTION: Short, C. pinch ran for Thompson, K..

aub-sm.png Ebert, J. struck out swinging (1-2 BKKK).

aub-sm.png Tella, R. flied out to CF (3-2 BKBFB).

SUBSTITUTION: T. Martin to P for R. Combs.

START OF THE 7TH

That's not how it was shown on the game tracker I had up while watching the game. Also the broadcast I was watching never showed a replay of anything much less someone missing a base.

I thought It was pretty clear during the play what was transpiring, although the play by play, color and dugout reporters all seemed confused. The broadcast did show the entire sequence in replay. They then focused in on the pitcher as he calmly walked over to the bag, on instruction from the UK dugout, and appealed the touch of third by the lead base runner. Fortunately it didn't make much of a difference on this night.

By the way, Ortman is a guy who really knows what he's doing out there. He has been so consistent this year, and had another outstanding night tonight. He made the best hitter in the conference (A.J. Reed) look completely lost at the plate tonight (and that dude can flat out rake).

Baserunning goof aside, this was a fine win and well played game. I didn't see any of the attitude things that have been mentioned in other threads.

Archived