One of my all time favorite AU players

Tigermike

Rocker selected to Hall of Fame

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

NEAL SIMS

News staff writer

Tracy Rocker has been almost as close to a national championship as the players who followed him on this season's Auburn football team. He didn't get that crown. He did get a heralded envelope, though, an overnight mail package that confirmed his selection into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Rocker's induction will come tonight, in a ceremony in NewYork as the National Football Foundation honors its Class of 2004.

"It's a dream come true," Rocker said. "I've been nominated before over the past few years, but you never know when it's going to happen. I am glad to receive such an honor for something I did that long ago. You never know what's going to happen as you get older.

"This just shows that good things can still happen for you."

Rocker, a defensive tackle at Auburn from 1985 to 1988, is acknowledged as one of the Tigers' greatest. Twice, he was an All-America selection. Three seasons, he was named first team on the All-Southeastern Conference squad. Rocker is the first SEC player to win both the Outland Trophy and the Lombardi Award in the same season. He was the SEC Player of the Year as a senior in 1988 and is on Auburn's team of the century.

"I always tell everyone I played on a great team with a lot of great players," Rocker said. "It goes all the way back to my high school coach, to my college coach."

Rocker, a native of Atlanta, was recruited by then-Auburn coach Pat Dye and played on teams that won SEC championships in 1987 and'88 and played in back-to-back Sugar Bowls. He finished his college career with 354 tackles, including 48 behind the line of scrimmage. As the anchor of the line on the nation's top defense in 1988, Rocker had 100 tackles.

From Auburn, Rocker went to the National Football League, playing three seasons with the Washington Redskins. He's now an assistant coach at Arkansas.

Other inductees in this year's Hall of Fame class include: Bob Anderson, Army; Tony Casillas, Oklahoma; Frank Emanuel, Tennessee; Ray Guy, Southern Mississippi; Wayne Harris, Arkansas; Joe Kapp, California; Jim Mandich, Michigan; Lydell Mitchell, Penn State; Jack Tatum, Ohio State; Andre Ware, Houston; and Charles Young, Southern California. Coaches who will be inducted are LaVell Edwards of Brigham Young and George Welsh of Navy and Virginia.

When Arkansas played at Auburn this season, Rocker was recognized before the game at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"There are so many other great players that came along before I did," Rocker said. "There will be many, many more. It is a tremendous honor and privilege for me and my family. One day, my kids will be able to see that, and that makes me very happy."

Rocker becomes the 10th Auburn football standout to be inducted into the national Hall of Fame.

He joins former coaches John Heisman, Mike Donahue and Ralph "Shug" Jordan and players Jimmy Hitchcock, Walter Gilbert, Pat Sullivan, Tucker Frederickson, Bo Jackson and Terry Beasley.

E-mail: nsims@bhamnews.com

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...14668101670.xml

Archived