Saban to interview with the Dolphins this week

CShine

Note to LSU fans: I started this with the word "IF". :big:

IF he takes the job, I wonder who LSU might hire? I wonder if they would promote Jimbo Fisher?

I hope he doesn't leave. It will make the competition in the West very bad. The East is stacked, but the SEC as a whole won't look good if there is only one or two good teams in each division. I'm sure that LSU will still be pretty good regardless, but they also probably get a lot of recruits because of saban.

jimbo is due for a HC gig... is his name in the hat for mississippi?

i wonder if anybody counted the number of times CNS's name has been bantied about for a HC position elsewhere....

i just read the article. i didn't realize he'd been seriously talking to pro teams last year...

if he goes to the NFL, will he still be the smartest man on the rules committee? does he still get to whine about calls made 2+ months ago?

And LSU fans wonder why he is always in the running for NFL jobs? Last year he interviewed with the Bears and got no upper management power....will be interesting to see how much the Dolphins give him

Nooooo...We (Dolphins' Fans) don't want that homo. Keep him at LSWho

And LSU fans wonder why he is always in the running for NFL jobs? Last year he interviewed with the Bears and got no upper management power....will be interesting to see how much the Dolphins give him

Who is wondering? I think we all know why he is in the running for NFL jobs every year. Honestly, I feel like this is the closest he has been to taking another job since his arrival at LSU. I still dont think he is going, but you never know. Its looking like he may get personnel control at Miami, which is a big draw for him. He knows he needs a certain type of athlete to make his system work, though I dont know that it would work in the NFL either way.

As far as who might take his place, I have no idea. Jimbo Fisher is a viable option, I suppose. Saban supports him and has said in the past that he will make a very good head coach sometime in the near future. He is due. No way that Fisher goes to Ole Miss. They have created a mess for themselves. The only way Ole Miss can get out of it is by hiring a proven winner with prior head coaching experience, I think. Fisher doesnt fit that bill. I think I would be ok with Fisher being Sabans successor. He knows the Louisiana high school programs. We have some talented young QBs coming up that have already been in his system for a couple of years. I would just like to see some kind of continuity on offense, should Saban leave. I dont think Saban has put LSU in a position to recruit itself yet, so success after Saban would be critical for recruiting the next few years. Either way, I think Saban will have some sort of say in who the next coach is. I dont know. What I do know is that I worried about this stuff for the first couple of years Saban was at LSU, but it got tiresome. I dont pay too much attention any more.

LSU fans are listing as possible candidates Fisher, Shannahan, Davis, Gruden, Tice, Tedford, Petrino, Chow, Muschamp and Ferrentz. So far TT hasn't made their list :big::big::big:

Actually, someone did post on Tigerforums that they heard on the radio that Tubberville had expressed interest the job. As you might imagine, the response was less than positive.  :blink:

131951[/snapback]

If CTT went, it would suddenly be OK to smoke cigars I suppose. :big::big::big:

Who is wondering?

Try reading your own site then. The amount of posts I have read in the last year (whether on here or any other LSU site) where people laugh at how he is a coaching candidate for Team A in the NFL....amaze me. The reason he is a candidate is because he shows interest and doesn't say "No Thanks" thus LSU fans should not be surprised by this.

Am I calling you out on this, not at all. Just the other 95% of LSU fans on the Internet

I dont know man, thats not the feeling I got from Tigerforums. I think LSU fans laugh at how, every year, people predict Saban going to the NFL. The feeling I have gotten from Tigerforums, especially today, is that if he leaves, we all knew it was coming some day. I think we just get sick of people telling us that he is the top candidate for every HC position in the NFL, every single time there is an opening.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1946801

The on-again-off-again mating dance between the Miami Dolphins and LSU coach Nick Saban is on again.

Saban and club officials, including Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, met for several hours Tuesday night in Dallas at an undisclosed location. While the Dolphins did not offer Saban the job, they made clear in precise terms that he is their No. 1 target.

In a statement issued by LSU on Wedensday, Saban described the talks as "a preliminary conversation with the Dolphins to exchange ideas about their head coaching position."

"No decisions were made in this meeting and they will continue their search for a coach," Saban said. "I will continue to be committed to LSU, our football program and totally focused on our bowl game versus Iowa."

Discussions are expected to continue over the next few days as Saban wrestles with the question of moving back to the NFL, where he hasn't coached since the end of the 1994 season, or retaining one of college football's top jobs. It figures be a difficult decision for Saban, who has been treated extremely well by LSU officials, and who thoroughly enjoys his job there.

It was uncertain for a while if the Tuesday session would take place, given that a similar meeting had been scheduled for earlier in the week and then was canceled when Saban experienced a change of heart.

Saban notified LSU in writing about the meeting with the Dolphins, said athletics director Skip Bertman. Bertman said Saban "has been forthright in his communication with the university about this and I support him in any direction that he may take."

"We are all aware that other NFL teams have made overtures to him in the past and he hasn't expressed any interest," Bertman said. "But this is one of the premier jobs in the NFL and he owes it to his family and their future to hear what the Dolphins have to say."

The Dolphins have acknowledged that they will comply with NFL guidelines for filling the position, which includes interviewing minority candidates.

Saban is intrigued enough to consider, for the second year in a row, a return to the NFL, a league he left following the 1994 season to become head coach at Michigan State. Saban, who was interviewed by Chicago Bears officials following the 2003 campaign, certainly could have had the position if he wanted it, but withdrew from consideration without much deliberation.

Saban subsequently signed a seven-year contract extension at LSU, one that made him the highest paid coach in the college ranks. The deal, a source said, does not include a buyout that would force him to pay LSU an exorbitant sum. Given the ticklish nature of his latest NFL flirtation, with recruiting in full swing, Saban is apt to seek privacy once again as the negotiations play out.

It remains a long shot that Saban will depart LSU for the pro game. But the Miami situation is one that Saban has been monitoring for a year, ever since rumors swirled last season that then-Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt might be replaced. Part of the appeal of the Dolphins job is that Huizenga is regarded as an owner who does not meddle in the football operations of his franchise; he gets out of the way and permits his coach to do his job.

Another key element: Miami figures to reshape its entire operation, and Saban would not only play a role in helping design the new blueprint, but also would have significant sway in all football-related matters. Such control would probably be the only way the Dolphins could secure such a high-profile coach.

One of the reasons Saban walked away from the Bears' opening less than a year ago was because he wouldn't have had control over the roster and personnel moves.

Nothing may come of it, but this doesn't read quite like the automatic "no" we've seen in the past.

...and LSU has no buyout in his contract? I thought those were pretty automatic with top programs and coaches these days.

something Auburn and LSU fans have to realize is that a lot of this noise is legit b/c it comes from CTT and CNS's agent (whose name has forgotten). Saban gets the NFL news b/c he has been so succesful lately - just like toward the end of this season, CTT got some NFL run because of his success. Now, as CTT is more successfuly, you will hear his name in College jobs (Florida, LSU, etc.) but I think its predominatly the agent positioning his coaches for a contract increase.

A lot of speculation on LSU pay forums that Saban is gone. Latest report on Baton Rouge T.V. is that the Dolphins have offered $6-6 1/2 million/year plus control to be the Dolphins next HC.

Butch Davis announced after resigning from Browns job that he was interested in LSU job. Rumormill says he's leading candidate to replace Saban if he goes.

On SST tonight they said word is that the dolphins are willing to entirely restructure their front office and give saban complete control. They said the offer will be nearly impossible to turn down.

Butch Davis announced after resigning from Browns job that he was interested in LSU job.  Rumormill says he's leading candidate to replace Saban if he goes.

132033[/snapback]

I sure would like to see Jimbo Fisher get a shot. He sure has been an outstanding QB coach and OC at LSU. I aslo see Saban being one of the rare coaches who can win at any level ( College or Pro ).

Jimbo will not be the next HC of LSU if Saban leaves. While LSU was 9-2 this year, his play calling as OC was putrid with the exception of the Arkansas game (last game of the year).

ST, I agree...Saban will be able to win at any level. IMO, he's a Bellichek (sp?) clone.

T88...IMO, $6-6 1/2 million/year plus total control of the Fins would be darn near impossible for anyone to turn down. It sounds like the dream deal is in place if Saban wants to go and I couldn't say I blame him but I believe it would be about the challenge more than the money (although the money is a really nice raise in salary).

The Dolphins program is in shambles. Why on earth would Saban leave LSU to get fired from Miami in two or three years. I don't get that. It must just be the money.

He's had some talented classes at LSwho, but a miracle worker he ain't.

The Dolphins program is in shambles. Why on earth would Saban leave LSU to get fired from Miami in two or three years. I don't get that. It must just be the money.

He's had some talented classes at LSwho, but a miracle worker he ain't.

132101[/snapback]

The Miami Dolphins job is one of the premier jobs in the NFL and one of the most winning franchises in the NFL despite the recent down years. That being said, I don't believe it is about the $$$ as he's pretty set at LSU making $2.6M this year with an annual increase. IMO, it's more about ego to prove that he can do it on all levels. As for him not being a miracle worker...well, that is your opinion but there must be some reason every Cadillac coaching job that becomes available has him on their short list as a top candidate.

I realize it's always about money, but I don't think it's money that will have him leaving. It's about a guy who enjoys challenges and rebuilding, and this other job offers that, like LSU did 5 years ago. Yes, he was not happy with the Michigan State administration, but his wife told him when he was considering LSU: "You were looking for another challenge..." He then set out to make sure that there's no reason that it couldn't be rebuilt, and I imagine that's what he's doing with Miami.

Archived