Saban to interview with the Dolphins this week

CShine

If he really wants a challenge he should go to work for Glade or Airwick or somebody and work on lessening the corndog stench that emanates from the Baton Rouge area.

Does it really matter?

lsWHO is lsWHO....Just another "never was" mid level SEC Team.

Does it really matter?

lsWHO is lsWHO....Just another "never was" mid level SEC Team.

132164[/snapback]

I thought that was Auburn? :lsu:

What other program could go undefeated and still not play for a NC? You have done it twice.

Brrrrrrrrr...it's cold in here. Southlink and Ellis agreeing??? :huh:

I don't know mcuh about Saban but I would think any head coach at the top of his game has to think seriously about taking this on. The challenge and prestige of leading a pro football team and oh yea, $6 million. Head coaches these days know they move around all the time and the days of staying at one place more than 5-6 years are pretty much over. A coach staying longer than that is the exception more than the rule. If he's reasonably successful at the pro level, he can come back to any D-1 program he wants when he wants a change.

I think that the amount of 6 million is way too much. I have heard between 4.8-5.4 base salary from the Dolphins with a big say in the GM position.

The LSU board has a thread about LSU TAF raising 1.5 extra million for Saban's salary and that is such a bogus lie. First off, LSU could never (and granted, neither could anyone IMO) match an NFL offer so why even try? The Dolphins will match and exceed anything they try to bring up.

It's not about the money.

Then why negotiate if it's not about the money? These outrageous figures are paid because they're being demanded by the coaches, players, agents, etc., and the teams are willing to pay. Would Saban go if the Dolphins offered to up his salary by 1/2 a million? Absolutely not. Up it to $4.8 or $6 or however many millions it is and he's there baby.

If it's just for the challenge, he'd say "Hey, match my current salary and pay my moving expenses and tell me when to start."

...and LSU has no buyout in his contract?  I thought those were pretty automatic with top programs and coaches these days.

Nope. No buy out.

SL, Im not saying those rumors are true, but LSU could certainly raise and additional 1.5 mil for Saban. Of course, no school can really keep up with a determined NFL franchise in a bid war, but not every NFL coach demands 4-5+ million dollars. According to Forbes, last years average salary for NFL coaches was 2.5 million a year, which is what LSU is currently paying Saban.

Then why negotiate if it's not about the money?  These outrageous figures are paid because they're being demanded by the coaches, players, agents, etc., and the teams are willing to pay.  Would Saban go if the Dolphins offered to up his salary by 1/2 a million?  Absolutely not.  Up it to $4.8 or $6 or however many millions it is and he's there baby.

If it's just for the challenge, he'd say "Hey, match my current salary and pay my moving expenses and tell me when to start."

132206[/snapback]

There really is no negotiation left. The Dolphins (from what I hear from family in Baton Rouge) have said that Wayne would pay him whatever it took so if LSU raised $1.5 more....Wayne would hike it up another million or so. As Ellis said, $6 million could be a figure but right now I am not so sure that it is that high. As for LSU raising $1.5...I don't doubt LSU could do it but it would not be easy.

Of course money is an issue to a point but in this case I don't think it has anything to do with it right now. LSU could offer him $5 million and if the Dolphins offered him $6 and he wanted to go he would....

I think it is down to whether Saban wants to go....

There really is no negotiation left. The Dolphins (from what I hear from family in Baton Rouge) have said that Wayne would pay him whatever it took so if LSU raised $1.5 more....Wayne would hike it up another million or so. As Ellis said, $6 million could be a figure but right now I am not so sure that it is that high. As for LSU raising $1.5...I don't doubt LSU could do it but it would not be easy.

Of course money is an issue to a point but in this case I don't think it has anything to do with it right now. LSU could offer him $5 million and if the Dolphins offered him $6 and he wanted to go he would....

I think it is down to whether Saban wants to go....

Yeah, I think thats about right. If he wants to go, he will. Saban said that he doesnt need to meet with the Dolphins again before he makes his decision, so I dont think there is much negotiation going on anymore, from either side. Reportedly, he will let everyone know of his decision within 10 days. At this point, I think the largest influence is his family. Apprently, they dont want to leave Baton Rouge.

Ellis, hell has frozen over. I agree with your comments on this entire thread. WOW

132190[/snapback]

:blink: :huh:

I think it's a toss up as to whether Saban stays or goes. The longer the wait, the more in LSU's favor that he stays. IMO, something will be announced tomorrow or Monday at the latest. Likely candidate to replace...Butch Davis, but LSU fans want to look at Tedford (Cal) and Petrino among some NFL coaches.

Edited 8:42 p.m. - Now the word is the longer we have to wait to more likely he will go.

Word from several sources is that Saban will stay at LSU and make some sort of major commitment. Hope they're right. Belief is that Saban's family is very happy in Baton Rouge and does not want to be uprooted again. NFL will still be there in 4 years after Saban's kids are out of the house.

It's not about the money. If Saban and his family will be a happier in Miami they will go. If they want to stay at LSU they will stay.

And Southlink you know jack about whats going on inside TAF so stick to what you think you know.

I probably know a lot more then you do with several family members involved with it.

As for Saban staying/leaving, him staying wouldn't shock me. As Ellis said, the longer the better for LSU.

You guys are way off on the longer it takes thing. He hasn't even been made an official offer yet. He is giving this much more serious consideration than the bears last year or anyone else. He is leaving the fans and players hanging unlike in the past. Don't forget the dolphins have to interview a minority first.

All those "in the know" on talk radio seem to think it's going to happen although they aren't 100% convinced.

It may not be all about the money but when you are looking at more than doubling your current salary it is a huge factor.

I heard ESPN radio today talking with a Miami sports writer. For what it’s worth, it sounds as if the deal has been reached. The paperwork is being finalized and an announcement may come next week. Not official but this guy seemed confident in his appraisal of the current situation with the Dolphin's management. They will now set up a token interview with another candidate but this was incidental to hiring Saban. I am not sure what that meant.

Has anybody heard this from any other source? If true, how will this effect recruiting, both AU and LSU?

I heard that the Art Shell will interview for the job as part of the process. You know the trouble the gamecocks got in for hiring Spurrier without at least interviewing a minority candidate?

So, an interview with Art Shell just legitimizes the diversity of the interview process to keep them out of trouble with the BCA, NAACP et al.

Archived