Way past time for a new director of sec officials...

war eagle6

Watch the alabama/ole miss 2014 game 47 seconds before halftime and tell me how in the **** Cyress Jones facemasks an Ole Miss player right in front of the Head Linemans face and is allowed to score with no flag thrown. I can understand some things are hard to catch but come on, how was that not called?

Fast forward to the 33 second mark and you can see the HL looking right at the play.

We all know ole miss still won but that play could have been crucial.

I saw the play and its hard to imagine that call being missed, HOWEVER, instead of pointing to biased officiating or corruption why not consider EVERYTHING and consider the fact that just because he's looking that direction doesn't mean he's looking at the same thing we saw. He could have had something else he was watching and when he focused on that particular portion of the play the facemask had already happened. At field level its not at all hard to see how that could have been missed. We all know it was a penalty. We all know it should have been called. Missed calls happen every single game, its human nature. It doesn't at all point to bias or corruption. Steve Shaw got to where he his by working his ass off and working his way up. I would prefer to not have a uater in charge of anything (not even dog catcher) but just because they are in charge of something doesn't automatically make them corrupt.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU80, unfortunately some ppl are like the ostrich that simply sticks their head in the hole in the ground so they cannot be a witness to the real truth. For 30+ years and probably more then that the UA/ REC has controlled the media and lined the pockets of Bama supporters via coaches or handlers to sway kids to the UA ship. Money has bought many a cars and house payments to get recruits to pledge to sign w/ the Tahd. The SEC head of officials is a UA grad. His allegiance is to UA. Do I have proof via his actual words? No but the proof is in the calls you just talked about AU80. Those in the Ole Miss game and the LSU game of a few years ago and even the AU / MSU game last year the calls were atrocious. Sure officials miss calls. I've missed them and I've misapplied the rules in games I've called. But to my defense I can via only my own word and integrity is say I didn't do it out of malice or bias towards a team, player or coach even if I knew they were a Bama lean. I have had the opportunity to officiate Rolondo McClain games in football and in Basketball games in my career but I didn't call against him. Alfred Mc Cullough ( Athens HS) was another. Kenneth Darby from Butler HS was an ass to his OL. Cursing them horribly but I didn't call against him. I've worked with officials that proudly confessed to flagging A. Briggs of Florence HS because he was an AU alum! War Tiger the bias is out there Sir. You need to open your own mind to this fact. It's not a fact. It's YOUR OPINION. You can't prove any of it. MY experience of 27 years says differently. Steve Shaw has influence and I believe he has let it be known that for example- UA holding calls need to not be called a lot on them. I believe what I've seen on film and have heard from the lips of Bama lean officials. Biased calls do happen WT. I read what you wrote the first time, no need to parrot the same thing over and over. Marc Curles is the only SEC official who I have a great deal of respect for more now since he publicly said he missed it in the FL/Ark game. Officials are human and when you can admit you made a mistake then I say you are being honest. Rocky Goode who is now a Replay Official has stated his disdain for AU (That's interesting and sad if true, so, I'll ask for proof of this please. ) but SS has him in a position of power to affect games! Poor judgement on SS part? Or influencing the outcome of games? Hmmm.....

If you really do in fact actually officiate football, you of all people should realize what it takes to get where these men are. Sure some of it is political and that's the case at every level of officiating, but its not the only key to moving up the ladder. You should know this. He's not the head of officials because he's a uater and bought his way to the top. HE EARNED IT. Next thing you are probably going to tell me is that the officials aren't held accountable for rule interpretation mistakes or missed calls.

It's obvious your experiences have been extremely different than mine. Because of those experiences your mind is made up and nothing is going to change it. That's really sad to vilify an entire group over isolated incidents that you've experienced. I expect more respect for the position (college official in general) to come from a fellow official.

Politics (& liberal thinking/ leanings) are prevalent in any association. HS football/ basketball/ softball/ baseball/ volleyball/ (track & field probably too). You know the last time I checked & this might come as a shock to you Mr. WT. The state of Alabama is a pro-Bama fan base. It is my opinion that SS got to where he is is because a pro-Bama guy put him in charge there to help "the cause" shall we say. The UA program rarely ever gets bad press coverage because the media is mostly controlled by Bammers. When any of the Alabama football players get into trouble why is it that the press coverage on those stories so little?. Contrast the Cam Newton story. Hello WT please tell me why is that?! From my viewpoint shouldn't it have been a MSU booster trying to buy CN signature to MSU? Why wasn't MSU drug thru the mud way more than the way the media hopped on the crucify AU bandwagon? The NCAA after many many months cleared AU of any wrongdoing yet the media hasn't relented nor issued an apology for the slander of CN & AU. MSU hasn't suffered any sanctions for offering money to buy CN either. For you to even remotely defend your position that you don't believe that the REC is a figment of my & other AU fans imagination then I call you out and say you are completely narrow minded and or the very essence of the definition a Liberal.

USATSI_8163325_154511880_lowres

SHARE ARTICLE

TWEET ARTICLE

UPDATED: The Southeastern Conference responded to Mike Pereira’s claims.

Mike Pereira twice has noticed something with SEC officiating that has him “really pissed.”

Pereira is a familiar name to football fans of all walks. The former NFL Vice President of Officiating is currently an officiating analyst for FOX Sports, giving his input on various decisions throughout both college and NFL broadcasts. Pereira has apparently been paying close attention to the SEC this season, and he had some harsh words for the conference’s officials.

In his column on Sunday, Pereira called out SEC officials for some shady behavior in recent weeks, saying that the conference is losing its integrity and credibility. He professes his admiration for the league, but blasts the officiating.

In Mississippi State’s win over Auburn two weeks ago, Pereira noticed officials communicating with someone off the field through their headsets as they debated whether or not to pick up a flag for intentional grounding, which he called a farce.

In Alabama’s win at Tennessee on Saturday, Pereira called “bull” again. In the first quarter, Tennessee punted the ball away, and Alabama fielded it with a fair catch. A personal foul was called on the play, after which the officials huddled up. Pereira said it was clear the referees were clearly communicating with someone off the field again, this time about how to enforce the penalty. Pereira said 2:36 of real time elapsed between the end of the play and their official call.

Pereira says in his column that, two weeks ago, he reached out to national officiating coordinator Rogers Redding, the former SEC officials coordinator, about who was on the communications system. Pereira was told the headsets only allow officials to communicate with each other on the field, which the former NFL official does not buy.

“But now it appears the SEC has someone that nobody else has — a mystery man. I’m not sure where he is, but he’s providing information to the officials on the field. If the SEC denies it, they’re not telling the truth,” Pereira said.

As it stands now, conferences have either seven or eight officials on the field. The SEC uses seven referees, with one alternate that assists with line of scrimmage calls, according to Pereira. Based on what he has seen, Pereira accuses the SEC of playing by its own set of rules.

“It was unacceptable in that Auburn-Mississippi State game — and it was unacceptable in the Alabama-Tennessee game. If (SEC commisioner Mike) Slive condones this and Redding fails to investigate and stop it, then the SEC and the NCAA have a big problem in officiating,” Pereira said. “In my eyes, their officiating staff is losing their credibility.”

You care to throw the BS Flag on this to WT?

The SEC officials as a whole are not very good on any judgement calls! Haven't been component in their "judgement calls" in YEARS War Tiger!!! Hell Mr. WT my local HS association even with the Bama fan officials are light years better than any of the current White Hat SEC referees. NAFOA has had 3-4 even 5 officials every year go on and do the Super 6 ( now known as the super 7) Championship games. I'd rather the local NAFOA call any AU football game any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the current crop of SEC officials. Am I being over critical of the SEC officials? After the last 10+ years of horribly bad "judgement calls and blatant missed calls or no calls on blatant holding by Andre Smith, DJ Fluker, and so many more right in the Referees view. You can bet your a** I'd love to have any NAFOA official out there over the crap the SEC has doing the games. It makes me wonder how in God's name they ever got sanctioned or selected to be eligible to referee in the best conference in the NCAA. The member schools of the SEC deserve competent and above reproach men (or women) calling in this league.

The SEC officials as a whole are not very good on any judgement calls! Haven't been component in their "judgement calls" in YEARS War Tiger!!! Hell Mr. WT my local HS association even with the Bama fan officials are light years better than any of the current White Hat SEC referees. NAFOA has had 3-4 even 5 officials every year go on and do the Super 6 ( now known as the super 7) Championship games. I'd rather the local NAFOA call any AU football game any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the current crop of SEC officials. Am I being over critical of the SEC officials? After the last 10+ years of horribly bad "judgement calls and blatant missed calls or no calls on blatant holding by Andre Smith, DJ Fluker, and so many more right in the Referees view. You can bet your a** I'd love to have any NAFOA official out there over the crap the SEC has doing the games. It makes me wonder how in God's name they ever got sanctioned or selected to be eligible to referee in the best conference in the NCAA. The member schools of the SEC deserve competent and above reproach men (or women) calling in this league.

This^^ . And guess what teams offensive line went a full season without a holding penalty called against them? Too easy

Look War Tiger, I am not the best official in any sport I officiate. However I do consider myself to be competent and fair in my calls. I don't take to any behavior that's over the top or critical of my fellow official(s) when I hear said comments by a player or a coach. I stop it either vocally saying "that's enough" or simply via a flag/ technical foul accessed to said player or coach. When I do recreational games I do not let any player or coach overstep. I for the most part get comments by a coach that say to me.... " well I'm glad to see you out there". It makes me smile inside hearing that. I do pride myself on being Fair and impartial when I officiate in any sport. My integrity is everything. I've booted many a call but I don't give make up calls to even out the ones I kick. All I can do is say I missed it or mucked up and move on.

MDM4AU,

Sorry to disagree with you but I respectfully say yes it's absolutely possible to pull off. I sight the MSU/AU game last year as a perfect example. Please if you have or can get a copy of that game then re watch it. If you take the ridiculous calls that the SEC referees called against us away..... You can see that AU could've had a very very realistic shot of coming back and winning that game. Hell the IB w/ Cam's last year had many of suspect calls that went against the AU football team. To their credit they fought very hard on thru those and came back and won. So I say respectful to you MDM4AU yes it can a does happen. Watch UA games against the Big boys of the SEC especially on offense and tell me they don't get away with blatant holding!

Wonder how long it will take before saban has this guy around his finger like nicky did with the old SEC boss.

MDM4AU,

Sorry to disagree with you but I respectfully say yes it's absolutely possible to pull off. I sight cite the MSU/AU game last year as a perfect example. Please if you have or can get a copy of that game then re watch it. If you take the ridiculous calls that the SEC referees called against us away..... You can see that AU could've had a very very realistic shot of coming back and winning that game. Hell the IB w/ Cam's last year had many of suspect calls that went against the AU football team. To their credit they fought very hard on thru those and came back and won. So I say respectful to you MDM4AU yes it can a does happen. Watch UA games against the Big boys of the SEC especially on offense and tell me they don't get away with blatant holding!

Sorry, bugged me.

Like a lot of people I've been unimpressed by SEC officials for a good number of years now. I am amazed at the number of holding in the line that go uncalled. If an 8th official would help reduce these no-calls then fine, bring one in.

But then we can all probably recall several boneheaded calls by officials, even with the assistance of replay, that remain inexplicable. 100 officials couldn't have changed any of those.

Archived