Way past time for a new director of sec officials...

war eagle6

Whether or not Shaw is biased against Auburn is something that has been and will be debated as long as he's in that position. However, when he does retire, if the league were to hire an AU grad for that post, I bet the outcry from Turd town will be absolutely deafening.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So once the 8th official is added and now they have added no blocking past 1yd of the line of scrimmage, what will "They" turn to next to say our offense isn't that great it's just bad officiating and missed calls that allow our offense to be so good? :dunno: Will we ever just get "well maybe your offense is really just that good"?

That proposal was taken off the table. It's not a rule change. It didn't eliminate blocking past 1 yard of the line of scrimmage either.

So once the 8th official is added and now they have added no blocking past 1yd of the line of scrimmage, what will "They" turn to next to say our offense isn't that great it's just bad officiating and missed calls that allow our offense to be so good? :dunno:/> Will we ever just get "well maybe your offense is really just that good"?

That proposal was taken off the table. It's not a rule change. It didn't eliminate blocking past 1 yard of the line of scrimmage either.

Thanks must have missed them taking it off table.

Steve Shaw just let it be known he is and always will be against AU. It's not surprising to me at all, I've always known, regardless how much he has denied his favoritism to his former school. This was his comment when selling the reason an 8th official is needed for sec games:........Shaw uses AU having 12 men on field vs Ole Miss that was missed as proof 8-man crew is necessary. Now why would he use AU as his example for an 8 man crew? I could think of more than that game where an 8 man crew is needed, but I won't. I'm pretty sure u guys have a few yourselves, just wanting you guys oppinions on this........

i don't remember which play vs ole miss you are talking about.

I was just quoting what Steve had made his reasoning for an 8man crew by using AU as his example. I'll have to look it up myself, because I don't remember that one either

Steve Shaw just let it be known he is and always will be against AU. It's not surprising to me at all, I've always known, regardless how much he has denied his favoritism to his former school. This was his comment when selling the reason an 8th official is needed for sec games:........Shaw uses AU having 12 men on field vs Ole Miss that was missed as proof 8-man crew is necessary. Now why would he use AU as his example for an 8 man crew? I could think of more than that game where an 8 man crew is needed, but I won't. I'm pretty sure u guys have a few yourselves, just wanting you guys oppinions on this........

I was just quoting what Steve had made his reasoning for an 8man crew by using AU as his example. I'll have to look it up myself, because I don't remember that one either

grab-2014-11-01-20h18m36s511.jpg?w=1000&h=562

Edit) 2000!!

Shaw has never seen a call against AU that he didn't like. He did an interview on jox and pretty much said that Saban coaches holding so beautifully it is hard to call. Kinda like the difference in a "good looking" toupee and an "awfully bad" toupee.

I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists, but if Shaw actually said this on the radio then this is a clear indication of him admitting his predetermined bias. If you see holding, then call it. Don't attribute "beautiful coaching" as a reason why you don't call it.

I was listening to that interview, and that is almost word for word what he said. Heard another ref several years ago on Fox 6 say, I hate to call penalties on Nick's defense, because he will get mad. Well if you can't enforce the rules the way they are written, you don't deserve to be calling a game, regardless of where you graduated from. I don't like it when penalties are called on Auburn, but if we did it, we should get called for it. Same should go for any other team.

grab-2014-11-01-20h18m36s511.jpg?w=1000&h=562

Edit) 2000!!

i like that matchup. lol

I'm no fan of Steve Shaw but he did admit back in 2012 after the SEC Championship Game that the hit on Aaron Murray by Quinton Dial should have been a penalty. Since he's able to admit Alabama has missed calls too then I'm not going to consider him a homer.

Shaw has never seen a call against AU that he didn't like. He did an interview on jox and pretty much said that Saban coaches holding so beautifully it is hard to call. Kinda like the difference in a "good looking" toupee and an "awfully bad" toupee.

I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists, but if Shaw actually said this on the radio then this is a clear indication of him admitting his predetermined bias. If you see holding, then call it. Don't attribute "beautiful coaching" as a reason why you don't call it.

I was listening to that interview, and that is almost word for word what he said. Heard another ref several years ago on Fox 6 say, I hate to call penalties on Nick's defense, because he will get mad. Well if you can't enforce the rules the way they are written, you don't deserve to be calling a game, regardless of where you graduated from. I don't like it when penalties are called on Auburn, but if we did it, we should get called for it. Same should go for any other team.

Glad we have Muschamp now for just such occasions

It is saying officials fav alabama for ratings,money purposes.Not hate on Auburn. Go back to Sabans first title and relive three screw jobs vs lsu,tenn,aub. Esp Tenn you cant take helmet off celebrating should of been rekick.Jones was short on 4th down vs us. LSU picked that pass. Miss St did look fishy in calls made last year. I think K State had no penalties against them called last year too.

It is saying officials fav alabama for ratings,money purposes.Not hate on Auburn. Go back to Sabans first title and relive three screw jobs vs lsu,tenn,aub. Esp Tenn you cant take helmet off celebrating should of been rekick.Jones was short on 4th down vs us. LSU picked that pass. Miss St did look fishy in calls made last year. I think K State had no penalties against them called last year too.

You are matching the atrocious grammar with the lack of rule knowledge. Even if it had been called it would NOT have been a re-kick on the FG attempt. It happened after the play was over. What does k State having no penalties called on them have to do with anything?? That means NOTHING..

Except that's the only game between top 10 teams I have ever seen where one team had NO, not one, penalty. If the HC is that good, he wouldn't still be there. IMO.

I am a huge Auburn fan and hate all things turd like, but I will say when I used to see that Steve Shaw was officiating an Auburn game I was always happy because I always felt that he and his team of officials always seemed to do a great job and he is so much better than Rocky Goode. The best referees are the ones at the end of the game you do not remember who any of them were as they did their job so well

• 2 weeks later...

The only ref that seems to be consistently against Auburn is Tom Ritter. He officiated the Miss St game last year (2014) and I thought that we had some very questionable calls. Now Miss St deserved to win but he made some horrible calls against us. He also called that terrible personal foul call against Nick Fairley in the 2010 Alabama game when Nick sacked McElroy. Stan White even said this on his radio broadcast...I will probably get in trouble for this but that is a horrible call!

The only ref that seems to be consistently against Auburn is Tom Ritter. He officiated the Miss St game last year (2014) and I thought that we had some very questionable calls. Now Miss St deserved to win but he made some horrible calls against us. He also called that terrible personal foul call against Nick Fairley in the 2010 Alabama game when Nick sacked McElroy. Stan White even said this on his radio broadcast...I will probably get in trouble for this but that is a horrible call!

It shouldn't have been flagged but It wasn't called a personal foul. it was called unsportsmanlike conduct. Yes, there's a difference. I still don't understand why everybody rails on the referee here. Tom Ritter or any referee isn't the only official on the field, nor does he make every call. Tom Ritter isn't against anybody. He's doing his job, nothing more, nothing less.

WarTiger - glad we have your great memory and your knowledge of officiating here to keep the record straight. Thanks!

Honestly guys, whether or not it is happening, threads like this do nothing to solve the problem. In cases like this, where the cards may or may not be stacked against you, the only logical course of action is to work harder. As the saying goes, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

In all honesty, 99.99 percent of threads on this forum aren't going to actually solve anything...

Honestly guys, whether or not it is happening, threads like this do nothing to solve the problem. In cases like this, where the cards may or may not be stacked against you, the only logical course of action is to work harder. As the saying goes, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

In all honesty, 99.99 percent of threads on this forum aren't going to actually solve anything...

True, but it is fun to laugh at those who sleep in tin foil pajamas.

wde

My dad was both a high school football coach and official in the 50's and 60's. What he drilled into me every time I complained that a call cost us the game was this: A good team knows how to handle adversity. No ONE or TWO plays should ever determine the outcome of a game. A team has 60 - 80 plays to determine the outcome and if they could just produce on several of their failed plays, the game's outcome would not hinge on an official's call. So in essence, a team controls the outcome of a game through execution. He told me that every offensive play is designed to succeed and score a touchdown and that anything else is a failure to execute. Same for defense, every player has an assignment on defense and if he executes properly, the offense is stopped. Sounds like pretty good logic today, even if this was told to me in the 60's.

My dad was both a high school football coach and official in the 50's and 60's. What he drilled into me every time I complained that a call cost us the game was this: A good team knows how to handle adversity. No ONE or TWO plays should ever determine the outcome of a game. A team has 60 - 80 plays to determine the outcome and if they could just produce on several of their failed plays, the game's outcome would not hinge on an official's call. So in essence, a team controls the outcome of a game through execution. He told me that every offensive play is designed to succeed and score a touchdown and that anything else is a failure to execute. Same for defense, every player has an assignment on defense and if he executes properly, the offense is stopped. Sounds like pretty good logic today, even if this was told to me in the 60's.

Your have already figured this out, but your Daddy was a wise man.

wde

Been an AHSAA Official for 8+ seasons and a Rec. League WH & other positions for 12+ seasons. I loved calling football and I wanted to apply the rules according to HS rules so I joined our local HS association. I will say NAFOA is a wonderful wealth of knowledge and many fine officials are in NAFOA & many are superb people on and off the field. However I have encountered some officials there and in other associations that I have worked with when "loaned out" to other associations who are biased in their calls concerning a like or dislike of a coach or a player who is a UA /AU supporter or UA/AU commitment. How do I know this?. From their our lips they say he' s a barner commit or coach supporter so he ain't getting sh*t today!. War tiger I'd bet money that you know that is probably true in your own football association officials. Tom Ritter may not be a UA homer official but he is guilty of some questionable calls against the opponents of UA. The spearing of the LSU QB Jordan Jefferson I believe TR was looking right at it and no flag thrown. The QB left the game for a couple of series due to that blatant illegal hit by the UA DL. There was a BJ in the iron bowl during the Gene Chizik era (Washington was his last name of the BJ) and it was outed on this board that this official had UA ties. WTH?! Why wasn't this guy struck from calling in any UA game?. Biased calls are there WT whether you care to admit it Sir.

Been an AHSAA Official for 8+ seasons and a Rec. League WH & other positions for 12+ seasons. I loved calling football and I wanted to apply the rules according to HS rules so I joined our local HS association. I will say NAFOA is a wonderful wealth of knowledge and many fine officials are in NAFOA & many are superb people on and off the field. However I have encountered some officials there and in other associations that I have worked with when "loaned out" to other associations who are biased in their calls concerning a like or dislike of a coach or a player who is a UA /AU supporter or UA/AU commitment. How do I know this?. From their our lips they say he' s a barner commit or coach supporter so he ain't getting **** today!. Unless you have video evidence of it actually taking place, those are just words. I've never said there aren't bad officials because there are but openly biased towards or against a coach or player, No..War tiger I'd bet money that you know that is probably true in your own football association officials. Well, its money you would lose. I've been officiating for 27 years and I've NEVER in all my years heard a fellow official make some kind of comment even close to that.

Tom Ritter may not be a UA homer official but he is guilty of some questionable calls against the opponents of UA. There isn't an official anywhere on earth that hasn't had some questionable calls. It's human nature. Many of us can watch the same play and see different things. The spearing of the LSU QB Jordan Jefferson I believe TR was looking right at it and no flag thrown. The QB left the game for a couple of series due to that blatant illegal hit by the UA DL. There was a BJ in the iron bowl during the Gene Chizik era (Washington was his last name of the BJ) and it was outed on this board that this official had UA ties. WTH?! I throw the BS flag on this one. Nobody here would know that information and its widely known that officials aren't allowed to officiate games involving their own school. Why wasn't this guy struck from calling in any UA game?. Biased calls are there WT whether you care to admit it Sir. Well, that's your opinion but it definitely isn't my experience, nor would an official at the level of the SEC jeopardize his officiating career to make such a statement. I'm speaking from my own experience not because of some fake conspiracy theory.

Chalk this up to different experiences not a black helicopter theory or string of corruption.

Watch the alabama/ole miss 2014 game 47 seconds before halftime and tell me how in the **** Cyress Jones facemasks an Ole Miss player right in front of the Head Linemans face and is allowed to score with no flag thrown. I can understand some things are hard to catch but come on, how was that not called?

Fast forward to the 33 second mark and you can see the HL looking right at the play.

We all know ole miss still won but that play could have been crucial.

AU80, unfortunately some ppl are like the ostrich that simply sticks their head in the hole in the ground so they cannot be a witness to the real truth. For 30+ years and probably more then that the UA/ REC has controlled the media and lined the pockets of Bama supporters via coaches or handlers to sway kids to the UA ship. Money has bought many a cars and house payments to get recruits to pledge to sign w/ the Tahd. The SEC head of officials is a UA grad. His allegiance is to UA. Do I have proof via his actual words? No but the proof is in the calls you just talked about AU80. Those in the Ole Miss game and the LSU game of a few years ago and even the AU / MSU game last year the calls were atrocious. Sure officials miss calls. I've missed them and I've misapplied the rules in games I've called. But to my defense I can via only my own word and integrity is say I didn't do it out of malice or bias towards a team, player or coach even if I knew they were a Bama lean. I have had the opportunity to officiate Rolondo McClain games in football and in Basketball games in my career but I didn't call against him. Alfred Mc Cullough ( Athens HS) was another. Kenneth Darby from Butler HS was an ass to his OL. Cursing them horribly but I didn't call against him. I've worked with officials that proudly confessed to flagging A. Briggs of Florence HS because he was an AU alum! War Tiger the bias is out there Sir. You need to open your own mind to this fact. Steve Shaw has influence and I believe he has let it be known that for example- UA holding calls need to not be called a lot on them. I believe what I've seen on film and have heard from the lips of Bama lean officials. Biased calls do happen WT. Marc Curles is the only SEC official who I have a great deal of respect for more now since he publicly said he missed it in the FL/Ark game. Officials are human and when you can admit you made a mistake then I say you are being honest. Rocky Goode who is now a Replay Official has stated his disdain for AU but SS has him in a position of power to affect games! Poor judgement on SS part? Or influencing the outcome of games? Hmmm.....

Archived