Proof that Recruiting Ratings are

AURainman

I thought I remember Tre being a 2* out of Venice,FL.

Any, re: Taylor. The story is that Taylor was a "sleeper" commit that was uncovered during one of Tubs' summer camps and that he was kept under wraps, much to the surprise of our SEC brethren. Many recruiting "experts" frequently use Taylor of an example of this behavior and commonly mention how difficult this is to accomplish in today's information age.

his high school coach is an AU grad and he turned coach tubs on to him as a 10th grader and kept him under wraps....he had to play qb in high school and is a better basketball player than football...he has a documented high jump of 42"....."sleeper" maybe?....to some folks....how do i know?....i live just 5 miles down the road from his family and used to work with his uncle

Recruiting ratings are far from crap. The mistake most people make with them is that they think there is some huge difference between the top 10 or 15 teams and there is little.

There are 1000's of potential recruits so of course they are gonna be wrong on alot of them.

Also, players will some under achieve or over achieve expectations.

Yost didn't do as good as we would have hoped.

Brodie is injury prone.

Campbell didn't really get things going consistently until this year, but like most players, it goes back to coaching.

Tre Smith is a good back.

Darby is a good back and he was 3rd string

If you think recruiting rankings are crap just tell me why the teams that consistantly rank in the top 20 recruiters year in and out find themselves

in the top 20 year in and out for the most part.

Most of the time the teams that consistently finish in the top 10 or 15 recruiting also do well during the season. No all the time but generally you can look back and predict who should be doing well during the season. Occassionally there are sleepers; Auburn, California, Utah, UTEP, and etc. Recent 4 years the best recruiting has been:

Florida State

Georgia

LSU

USC

Michigan

Oklahoma

Ohio State

Texas

Maybe AU will now consistently be among those top 10 in recruiting.

If you think recruiting rankings are crap just tell me why the teams that consistantly rank in the top 20 recruiters year in and out find themselves

in the top 20 year in and out for the most part.

134766[/snapback]

Of course there is something of a "cause-and-effect", chicken/egg question here.

Do top recruiting teams finish with high rankings because of their recruiting? Or do highly ranked teams do well in recruiting because they are highly rank?

I'd say a little of each, naturally. Winning involves having the complete package--good coaching, good fan support, good facilities, and good talent--not to mention good luck. [And Auburn finally has it all!] Top 20 recruiting won't guarantee a championship program, but having less than top 20 recruiting won't prevent it, either.

Archived