Ole Miss breakdown - White's first TD Pass

StatTiger

It took 105 pass attempts but Sean White threw his first collegiate touchdown pass against the Ole Miss Rebels. The play came on a 3rd down play and terrific play-call by Gus Malzahn. It took a couple of games for the Auburn coaches to feel out Sean White as the starter and he has now thrown for 250-yards or more in 3 consecutive games. This hasn't happened since Dameyune Craig during the 1997 season. During the first 2 games, Sean White attempted only 10 passes beyond 10-yards of the LOS. During the last 3 games, White has attempted 33 such passes. If he is healthy, look for Sean White to continue attacking down field.

The play...

Ole%20Miss%20-%20Louis%20TD%20Pass_zpspsgfzxaw.jpg

On this play the Auburn offense faces a 3rd and 4 from the Rebel 47-yard line. The Tigers come out of a sugar-huddle into a 2-WR formation with 4 in the backfield. The sugar-huddle prevents the Rebel defense from obtaining a pre-snap read on the Auburn formation and personnel grouping. At the snap, Sean White fakes the end-around to Marcus Davis.

Roc Thomas slips out of the backfield on a wheel-route as Ricardo Louis runs a deep post-pattern. Note in frame #2 that Ole Miss has 8 in the box, freezing on the end-around. The CB and Safety bite on the wheel-route to Roc Thomas because Auburn has run this play numerous times this season. Sean White sells the wheel-route by looking at Thomas as he slides out of the back field.

After looking at Thomas, Sean White resets his feet and steps into his deep pass to Ricardo Louis from a very clean pocket. White hits Louis in stride, who has beaten the safety deep. Louis hauls in the pass for a 47-yard touchdown. It was a great play-call and great execution on the play.

This hasn't happened since Dameyune Craig during the 1997 season.

Pretty telling statistic there. Looks like White actually has done something after all. Take away the drops and he would have topped 300 atleast once, maybe twice.

Thanks Stat.

Gus does call brilliant plays that when executed correctly yield scores or gets the offense in a good position to score. If our WRs can correct issues with dropping very catchable passes, we will see a significant improvement with our offense. If we can start scoring points instead of dropping good thrown passes, I think this will carry over to the defense thus creating positive plays where we can get the defense off of the field more often and for longer periods of time while our offense churns up yardage that results in scores.

Gus does call brilliant plays that when executed correctly yield scores or gets the offense in a good position to score. If our WRs can correct issues with dropping very catchable passes, we will see a significant improvement with our offense. If we can start scoring points instead of dropping good thrown passes, I think this will carry over to the defense thus creating positive plays where we can get the defense off of the field more often and for longer periods of time while our offense churns up yardage that results in scores.

We've had one game with significant drops, and it was a doozy. Other than that nothing really out of the ordinary.

Was surprised we didn't run more quick breaking huddle plays given the success here. I think we ran one more the entire game.

I watched the game between Ohio and Bowling Green and was amazed at how fast BGs offense ran play after play. I remember in 2013, we operated our offense at a much brisker pace than it seems like we are doing this season. I would like to know if anyone out there has any comparison from 2013 to our current season, the total number of plays per game. If I am wrong with this, then I honestly apologize for my error.

However, I think the stats will reveal that we ran more plays per game in 2013 than so far in 2015.

In all fairness doc, 2013 we could just line up and run zone read every play regardless of what the d was doing. We had the best overall run blocking I've ever seen anywhere. It's a lot easier to go fast when you run up and do the same play over and over again successfully. That's really the only year I remember it going that fast. we've been faster than this year before, but that season was a little of an anomaly.

Yes, that was a good play, but the important thing was that it was well executed by the entire team. I really like the mini-huddle as a way of neutralizing defensive scheming.

Perfect play and execution. Louis will get a pile of yards today. I this was one of the better passes Sean white has thrown all year

Wow first 250 yards a game for three games in row since Craig that's saying a lot for a redshirt freshman.There have been several very good QB 's come through AU since 97 that didn't get that done.The future is very bright for Sean and AU with him at QB.

Archived