Musicians thread

Gibson, do you play mostly lead, rhythm or strum and sing?

Definitely rhythm. Learning more lead, but not there yet. I'm better on acoustic than electric. Electric is less forgiving. I think I can sing. Others may not agree.

How about you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do a lot of strumming and singing, but also love to put some music on the headphones and jam out some lead with electric. I also enjoy the finger picking songs.

I am best at bluesy rock soloing and playing more of a hybrid rhythm where it's strumming and picking all together. I focus mostly on playing major and minor pentatonics. Still learning how to properly blend the two together. I believe that is where the soloing magic lies...blending the two.

My finger picking is also lacking. It's not that I can't do it. It's that I just haven't had time to sit down and practice properly. I'm thinking about taking some advanced lessons just to get a better feel. Songs like "Dust in the Wind" that have easy chords, I need to sit down and learn the picking pattern.

My finger picking is also lacking. It's not that I can't do it. It's that I just haven't had time to sit down and practice properly. I'm thinking about taking some advanced lessons just to get a better feel. Songs like "Dust in the Wind" that have easy chords, I need to sit down and learn the picking pattern.

Try Simple man by Skynyrd. C G and A minor. Starts 0 2 3 on the A string which is just a walk up into the C chord, then you pick the strings while holding the C chord, then the G chord, then the Am. Rinse and repeat. Very easy. You can obviously add variations all throughout, but it's a very simple song to learn picking.

I haven't had a rig in years now but I have recently been looking into getting one again. The last rig I had was a Fender Urge Stu Hamm model (Mexican made and a metallic burgundy) and an SWR Working Man 2x10 before they were bought out by Fender. I now want to get a Fender American Standard Jazz. I'm not sure on the amp I want to get.

Simple Man is actually one I can play. That picking pattern is pretty easy. I love that song. I think my problem comes with more upbeat songs with more complex patterns. "More Than Words" is a classic and one I am trying to learn. It also has fairly easy chords.

I haven't had a rig in years now but I have recently been looking into getting one again. The last rig I had was a Fender Urge Stu Hamm model (Mexican made and a metallic burgundy) and an SWR Working Man 2x10 before they were bought out by Fender. I now want to get a Fender American Standard Jazz. I'm not sure on the amp I want to get.

It's always a good time to start playing music again. It's a labor of love and will always be there for you.

Gibson, do you read tab? If so I suggest looking up these songs (only because it's where I cut my teeth on fingerpicking and it worked out for me)

Love song (intro) by Tesla

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

Arms wide open - Creed

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

Diary of a Working Man - Blackfoot

Obviously jumping on all those would be tough but if you look into them and one strikes you, take it and run.

The best way I learned was freestyle. I just made chord shapes and played different strings. Take any song you strum normally and turn it into a picking song. Stick with the easy chords til you get used to free styling it so you don't have to think at all. Just pick. Eventually you'll develop your own style that way and you'll be better for it. I rarely play songs exact anymore. I freestyle a lot of them. The songs above usually are pretty exact though as the picking is crucial to those songs.

My suggestion, take a D C G song like Can't You See and pick it (or something easy you are very comfortable with). I still do this just to keep my freestyle free.

For sure. Two of the bassists that I like most are Flea and P-Nut (311). As far as a more classic rock bassist, Leon Wilkerson.

Check out the visiting artists lecture series....You can get Wynton Marsalis guiding improv and Dianne Warren/ Billy Joel teaching lyrical structures, the next....This a boat load of info for those interested....The following is one of many channels....

http://www.youtube.c.../BerkleeCollege

One of the best online lesson providers for guitar you'll ever find. He's a professional session guitarist and has around 800 videos on YouTube, most of which are some type of lesson. He's got two different channels, Papastache102 which is more guitar theory and PapastachePop which is hundreds of lessons on specific songs. If you're wanting to learn more on guitar, chances are good he's covered what you need. Usually easy to comprehend as well.

Not to hijack, if I wanted to start picking just for kicks how would I start? Cheap. YouTube?

That's a good way. Learn your chord shapes first. Start with G C D E and A. Get the hang of those and then peruse back through this thread. We've listed several easy songs earlier in the thread. You can learn how to play those on YouTube as well.

Kind of an odd question. Has anybody heard of adding custom inlays to the fretboard on a guitar? I know theres stickers you can add, but Id much rather have the real thing. Are there places that you can send your guitar off to and have it done? How would you go about getting this done?

Kind of an odd question. Has anybody heard of adding custom inlays to the fretboard on a guitar? I know theres stickers you can add, but Id much rather have the real thing. Are there places that you can send your guitar off to and have it done? How would you go about getting this done?

Check out stewmac, they sell them.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Inlay_and_Pearl/Pre-cut_Inlays/

They also have tutorials on how to do things. They may have one for that as well. Word of caution though, improper removal and/or installation can chip your neck wood defeating the whole purpose of upgrading the inlays. If you're not a very very good wood worker, best bet is to visit your local luthier. They usually do this for $100-$200 dollars. If you're talking about adding inlays where there are no current ones, you're talking about routing holes perfectly as well which will up the price. Where do you live? I may can recommend a place.

The reason I asked, I watched a $2500 martin acoustic/electric go on Ebay for 850 bucks. Ive been looking to upgrade, but wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on that kind of an investment. The guitar had no inlays at all, so it seemed a little plain. I wondered if one day I found a deal on a good guitar, or just found one I really liked, if I could fix it up a little. That being said, Have any of you played around with a D'angelico?

DAASD500BLK_2-320x854.png

Its a beautiful Guitar, but I just wonder how it sounds and plays. Its going to be a couple of weeks before I get time to go to a music store and shop around for myself, but some reviews say they sound better than taylor and martins, and on par with Gibson. I also Heard some good things about Breedlove guitars.

These guys handle some fine instruments....Some of it is high dollar merchandise. A lot of it is more down to earth. Hell of a source for info and if you are a player, in the area at any point...Worth an afternoon just to drool if nothing else.

http://guitars.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Berklee School of Music in Boston is one of the preeminent and cutting edge performance, lyrical, music technology and music business schools that exists...YouTube has a Berklee channel and it covers a rang of issues that is hard to duplicate elsewhere. In person education, online education and tutorials are available for any music related issue you can imagine.

There are some great vids for you blues, rock and country players...

The following is a pdf....some may be redundant to you, there are some great tips for new players and less experienced players.

The link listed there...dboox.com...leads to a website called Best Book Library where you have to have a membership...although it claims to be free... Is that the place to find the Berkeley tutorials or PDFs?

• 2 weeks later...

That one works. I've looked on YouTube and haven't found much for guitar. I guess I'm missing the main account. I'm always looking for extra tidbits of knowledge to sponge. That vid is a little too beginner for my taste, but there's always some little part I pick just from watching how others talk or teach. Sometimes a basic lesson can give that "Aha" moment where two complicated ideas get connected together by some simple little technique you somehow missed before. I watch any instructional videos I come across and can almost always learn something.

Thanks for posting.

Archived