Musicians thread

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn to do the E chord with your middle ring and pinkie fingers leaving your pointer finger open. Also practice barring with your pointer finger (using 1 finger to press all the strings on the same fret). When you can do both, move the E up 1 fret (to the 2cnd and 3rd) and barre the 1st fret with your first finger. There you have F.

While practicing this, make the chords and pluck each string in the chord separately. That's how you can tell if you are doing it right. If a string sounds muted, you're likely not pushing the string all the way to the fret board. Work on those til you get each string sounding right.

As far as songs, there are a TON of G C D songs or similar. What music do you like? I can likely recommend some easy ones.

See, that's the kind of stuff I need advice on.

I am all over the map on my musical tastes. Seriously. From "classic" rock to metal to grunge to pop to old school country to blues. Just about the only thing I don't listen to is the newer "country" radio. My favorites? STP, PJ, Sturgill, just getting into some Muddy Waters too.

Been playing any? It usually comes and goes when you start. Some of it gets monotonous and people lose interest before ever breaking in to really playing. I've only had time to play my guitars once in about a month. Gotta get some more free time....

Simple Man is actually one I can play. That picking pattern is pretty easy. I love that song. I think my problem comes with more upbeat songs with more complex patterns. "More Than Words" is a classic and one I am trying to learn. It also has fairly easy chords.

Had any luck?

It's been slow going for me lately. I've been picking it up and practicing some chords and that's about it. I guess that's better than nothing. I need to make a little more time, too.

• 1 month later...

https://www.facebook...amariaofficial/

Can any of you do this? Strick9?

If you were talking about the first video on his page, then you are asking about tapping and slapping. I can do both, but I rarely use them. Victor Wooten is a much better example of that style of playing.

• 2 months later...

Ok. How in hell do people look so comfortable playing guitar? I need to strengthen my fingers which is possible. I would also like to make them smaller like in a pencil sharpener. The biggest problem is I can't stop fouling that damn bottom string. I need an extra joint on my left wrist. It is not over my head but going to take a lot of beers to get there. 

Ok. I got the bottom string problem solved. Use thumb not palm on back of neck. I'll be touring soon. 

Archived