Look at me! Look at me! Ooops!

Tigermike

It's sad for her and her family, but why do people do such stupid things?

:blink:

Woman falls to death attempting balcony handstand

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 Posted: 11:45 AM EST (1645 GMT)

NORTH FORT MYERS, Florida (AP) -- A woman fell to her death while trying to do a handstand on the railing of a second-floor hotel balcony, sheriff's officials said.

Molly Jerman, 23, of Cape Coral died Sunday. While attempting a handstand, she toppled over and dropped to the hotel patio, according to the Lee County sheriff's department.

Just before she fell, she had called out to a friend, "Watch to see what I can still do," a police report said. Foul play is not believed to be involved, officials said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/18/balcony.death.ap/index.html

I saw that article and my first thought was: candidate for Darwin Award.

I also saw a TV program that highlighted the sport of Free Running: Link

In addition to running across rooftops and leaping gaps between buildings, they had some videotape of these people doing the exact same thing: gymnastic-style handstands on 2nd story railings. ... Crazy. I was bored too when I was younger, but I was never that bored. All it takes is one slip and a 2-story fall to an urban landscape pavement and presto, ... boredom cured.

On a tangent. I remember 10-15 years ago I read a story about a guy who dove in a river and broke his neck and was paralyzed from the neck or so down. I felt a little sorry for him until I read that his brother had broken his neck diving from the EXACT same spot two years earlier but hadn't sustained a permanant injury.

Archived