World Cup 2018

AUDub

Yep. Pulisic is at striker with Clint behind him. Let's see how this goes. 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

Who was forward? Jones or Bradley?  Now that Acosta is in, who is forward? Acosta or Bradley?

Jones was forward. Acosta remains forward in his place. 

Bedoya at left wing. Clint's now up front with Pulisic behind. Arriola at right back, Zusi at right wing. 

Zusi and Arriola have swapped again. Zusi at RB, Arriola at RW. 

Ream did a good job on the counter there. 90th minute. 

We have a FK 40 yards out. Dead center. 

1 more minute, at most. 

This ref allowed a very physical game. Not sure I liked it, because we got the short end of the stick. There's the whistle. 1-1 draw.

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

I read through the espn play by play and didn't see but maybe one comment made about altidore.  Then he's subbed.  Did he have any impact this game?

Nope. About invisible up there. 

I'll take 4 points in this round of qualifying though. We'll smash them on the return leg when we're healthy. 

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'll take 4 points in this round of qualifying though. We'll smash them on the return leg when we're healthy. 

True about the health of the team. We are strangely beat up right now ... so pulling a draw with a bunch of players not available is ok ... I begrudgingly guess

Just now, mustache eagle said:

True about the health of the team. We are strangely beat up right now ... so pulling a draw with a bunch of players not available is ok ... I begrudgingly guess

Not terrible for a patchwork back four, but you could tell the quality simply wasn't there. Just extremely beat up. Brooks would have owned that long throw that lead to the equalizer. 

3 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Nope. About invisible up there. 

People can point out all the stats for altidore but I've just never been a huge fan of his.  I just don't feel like we always get his 100%.

i feel as though woods gives only slightly less hold up play and maybe slightly less offensive power but way more technical and tactical skill along with a more consistent high motor

2 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

People can point out all the stats for altidore but I've just never been a huge fan of his.  I just don't feel like we always get his 100%.

i feel as though woods gives only slightly less hold up play and maybe slightly less offensive power but way more technical and tactical skill along with a more consistent high motor

Exactly right about Wood. Jozy is a good target man and finisher, but he leaves a lot to be desired technically and motor-wise.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:58 PM, mustache eagle said:

An away draw to panama is probably an ok result for the hex but I hate tie games.  If we want to catch Mexico then we've got to win some away games.  

Eh, catching Mexico isn't important at this state, especially after starting 0-2-0.  Just need to be in the Top 3 so that we qualify automatically.  Remember, Mexico had to win the 4th spot playoff four years ago and then made a nice run in the World Cup.

20 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

Pulisic is the best USMNT player i have ever seen.

And assuming he stays healthy we have him for at least the next decade and a half, a guy that could turn out to be an honest to goodness superstar in Europe. ;D

47 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, catching Mexico isn't important at this state, especially after starting 0-2-0.  Just need to be in the Top 3 so that we qualify automatically.  Remember, Mexico had to win the 4th spot playoff four years ago and then made a nice run in the World Cup.

It matters to me.  I'm tired of having teams that represent the USA who are mentally weak.  The USMNT of the recent years is more talented than previous iterations but need more grit and fire.  I want an American football team personality out there playing international football.  

... and that means desperate to win the hex ... because ties suck ... I want blood spitting wrath on the soccer field from my team.  

To me, bobby woods, Cameron, Howard and Dempsey (maybe a couple others) show some of that.  Pulisic shows heart but the kid needs to eat a few more peanut butter sandwiches.  Individually there is some grit but not as a team or a program.  I see the potential but not the results.

i want Arena to public ally state we want to win.  I want those guys ticked they left panama without the win.  4 games in and we are 1-2-1.  That isn't good enough.  If they want the casual US fan to get behind them they have to first, win, and, second, win in a manner that pulls people in.

same way that Brazil fans expect their teams to not only win but to do so with flair.  I want to win, but with grit, talent and passion.  Think 2004 Auburn football team.

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

It matters to me.  I'm tired of having teams that represent the USA who are mentally weak.  The USMNT of the recent years is more talented than previous iterations but need more grit and fire.  I want an American football team personality out there playing international football.  

... and that means desperate to win the hex ... because ties suck ... I want blood spitting wrath on the soccer field from my team.  

To me, bobby woods, Cameron, Howard and Dempsey (maybe a couple others) show some of that.  Pulisic shows heart but the kid needs to eat a few more peanut butter sandwiches.  Individually there is some grit but not as a team or a program.  I see the potential but not the results.

i want Arena to public ally state we want to win.  I want those guys ticked they left panama without the win.  4 games in and we are 1-2-1.  That isn't good enough.  If they want the casual US fan to get behind them they have to first, win, and, second, win in a manner that pulls people in.

same way that Brazil fans expect their teams to not only win but to do so with flair.  I want to win, but with grit, talent and passion.  Think 2004 Auburn football team.

It matters to you, but Tim Howard is already on record as saying the most important thing is to finish in the Top 3 since you can't win it unless you're in it.  That has to be goal #1 after the 0-2-0 start.  Wanting something like the 2004 AU team is simply an unrealistic expectation of just about any nation, much less one that has only been the WC quarterfinals once.

I love the talent this team has and the future looks amazingly bright.  Wood, Yedlin, Morris, and Pulisic are great building blocks.  Pulisic in particular may be the best player to ever wear a U.S. uniform by the time he's done.  (Give the kid a break on weight.  He's 18.  He'll fill into his body.)  This doesn't even include the play of Nagbe since he's joined the team.  He's making smart decisions and providing solid play in the middle, which is something we desperately needed.

The truth here though is that the casual fan will never care the way Brazil fans care, because soccer isn't as important in the U.S.  I am the very definition of a casual U.S. soccer fan.  I only follow the national team during tournament runs and don't really care about club soccer.  Just watch a match occasionally when nothing else is on.  And that's more than most, who literally only watch the World Cup.  I would bet that most Americans don't even realize that you have a qualification process for the World Cup.

I bet Tim wants to win AND be in the top 3.  He has to say that.  We got rolled in the first 2 games,  I'm still irritated they gave the performances they did (klinsman included).

My comment about the 2004 team was primarily related to team attitude, chemistry, personality etc.  

my comment about pulisic's weight was in jest ... thought that would be obvious.

ive been fairly in tune to soccer since 2010 and watch routinely.  I'll admit that I'm still learning ... as I didn't appreciate nagbe's performances in the last 2 games as much as he deserved.

your last paragraph is my point.  I want the average fan to embrace all US teams.  Preferably more often than just the olympics and other major events.  I want the teams to be successful and have personality.  Hopefully in a manner that creates more fans, more often.

its the reason I'll watch the davis cup, Ryder cup, all olympics, etc...  including the different age groups of US soccer.  I even watched some of the U17 girls national team games ... heck my kid has played against some of them.

• 2 months later...

I invite y'all to watch the Christian Pulisic show. Kid just scored his 6th international goal to give us the lead in the 53rd minute. Hit the post moments later. T&T's keeper has played a great game. 

Assisted by Yedlin. Nagbe has also had a high energy game on the right wing. Bradley's passing is still sub par, but he's pressuring the ball well and his positioning has been good. 

61st minute, Acosta on for Dempsey. 

Pulisic buries his second in the 62nd off a great through ball from Jozy. Beat the keeper on the near post. 

Archived