On pace for...

War Knight

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Pot meet kettle?

Jeffery, why is it that you soley focus on SW's play in the RZ? Why do you continue and refuse to acknowledge that out of the 4 offensive groups (qb,rb,ol,wr), the play in the RZ has been least affected by the QB. Why do you bring up YPC, but refuse to accept that play calls are the biggest reason for that? Would you be okay if he missed those short screens? How about be glad we finally have a QB that you can count on him to make that throw.

Does Sean need to work on his deep ball? Yes, but to blame him for YPC is laughable. As well is the reiteration of the "he hasn't thrown TDs in the RZ" argument without acknowledging that there haven't been many passes called in the RZ and when they have been, there have been for sure TDs that have been dropped or missed blocks that lead to untimely sacks.

Your "group" refuses to understand that the TEAM struggles in the RZ not one player. I say that Because you and others continue to blame SW while ignoring the other problems that plague the offense in the RZ.

Is SW the end all be all? No. Is he getting better and being effective? Absolutely. 

Aren't you the same guy that Blamed JJ last year for the same woes?  what gets me is when guys are bias to one guy they will defend him.  on that statue of liberty play we always call he threw to KJ who was already out of bounds when Tony Stevens was wide open.  Blame the protection all you want.  He is cap't check down minus his numbers versus Arkansas state and he is below average.  Maybe your "group" likes FG's instead of TD's.   

9 minutes ago, willieguns said:

Aren't you the same guy that Blamed JJ last year for the same woes?  what gets me is when guys are bias to one guy they will defend him.  on that statue of liberty play we always call he threw to KJ who was already out of bounds when Tony Stevens was wide open.  Blame the protection all you want.  He is cap't check down minus his numbers versus Arkansas state and he is below average.  Maybe your "group" likes FG's instead of TD's.   

You defended JJ with such fervor last year. However, I believe myself and many others have been proven right in our stance on JJ. The rest of your babbling is pointless. All you ever do is stir the pot and talk in circles with platitudes.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You defended JJ with such fervor last year. However, I believe myself and many others have been proven right in our stance on JJ. The rest of your babbling is pointless. All you ever do is stir the pot and talk in circles with platitudes.

yeah SW for Heisman... do you even attend games or do you sit behind you MOD position and get upset with Auburn fans that hit you with facts?  SW is average at best.  I will say the play calling has been terrible for the last 2 seasons.  I still believe JJ is the most talented QB on the roster and Malzahn and crew haven't done an developing from a QB perspective.  I guess you thought 6 FGs was excellent QBing?  Or do you count stats versus Arkansas state to strengthen your argument that White is above average?  Most of you post are laughable.  Woody Barrett will be starter next year do you agree? 

2 minutes ago, willieguns said:

yeah SW for Heisman... do you even attend games or do you sit behind you MOD position and get upset with Auburn fans that hit you with facts?  SW is average at best.  I will say the play calling has been terrible for the last 2 seasons.  I still believe JJ is the most talented QB on the roster and Malzahn and crew haven't done an developing from a QB perspective.  I guess you thought 6 FGs was excellent QBing?  Or do you count stats versus Arkansas state to strengthen your argument that White is above average?  Most of you post are laughable.  Woody Barrett will be starter next year do you agree? 

Well, there you go losing all credibility again.

And no, I don't go to games, I'm busy coaching and game planning for the next week. But obviously me not going to game negates my experience or knowledge.

Also, how many times this last week was a pass called in the RZ? Oh that's right, it was Sean missing the block on Beckwith on 3rd down or was it when he lined up at WR that made KJ not score.

You're clueless 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, there you go losing all credibility again.

And no, I don't go to games, I'm busy coaching and game planning for the next week. But obviously me not going to game negates my experience or knowledge.

Also, how many times this last week was a pass called in the RZ? Oh that's right, it was Sean missing the block on Beckwith on 3rd down or was it when he lined up at WR that made KJ not score.

You're clueless 

Your clueless was it the fact that maybe SW has never been a viable option in the redzone.  I went to the 2nd scrimmage and saw with my own eyes he don't have the "IT" factor in terms of RZ.  Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason they don't call many passing plays is because they know that the redzone is where he struggles? 

On 9/25/2016 at 10:23 AM, aujeff11 said:

SW is handcuffed in the redzone still. @Tiger and I had a conversation a month ago that having Kerryon as the wildcat at the goal line will hurt us because everybody and their momma will know it's a run play. Why does Gus still feel that play is more effective than having a pass/run option? 

@Malcolm_FleX48 chime in on this as well.

Well, the RPO on the goal line would typically be more effective if it wasn't for the fact that we like to spread the ball laterally so much already. Teams typically when they play against us are ready to be stretched laterally and on the goal line and redzone, where there is a lot more press-man coverage, it's easier to defend against the RPO since the defenders are closer to the LOS and can flatten out. Especially if they've got a fast nickel in the game. The Wildcat can at times be more effective with a quick runner because of the fact that you've got a LOT of big bodies wadded up in one place, with a runner that's small enough and shifty enough to out-maneuver said big bodies and take advantage of small cutbacks before the larger bodies can even react. It's big on big, but they're chasing a small target, and on the Goal Line, this is really effective since the smaller defenders are either already blocked out of the play by the mass number of blockers, or wont be able to close the distance quick enough assuming Gus has spread them out correctly. 

I'd like to see the QB go under center at times for a QB sneak in very short yardage and see if the O line can get some movement... but a neat option off that (keep the defense honest / sell out for the sneak) would be for the QB to quick pitch it back to KJ and let him go wide / go where ever  he see's a crease... KJ over the top. 

I think given a decent play call KJ won't be denied again very easily in short yardage 9 times out of 10... and  barring an outstanding D play.

That kid showed some heart and determined running vs LSU.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:19 AM, logan adams said:

We can't play like we did against LSU and win any of our remaining SEC games except maybe Vanderbilt. That red zone offense was awful. I had been saying it all off-season that Sean White cannot produce in the red zone. He's proving that again in the first four games of the season. (Exception of Arkansas St)

So if Auburn does not score in the rz it is because of White and White alone? I get it. The center has nothing to do with it. Or running back. Or the tackles. Or the wrs. Or the H back. Or the guards. Or the playcaller. I guess is no longer a team game but is actually an individual game with White being solely responsible for Auburn not scoring tds when inside the 20 yard line.

29 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Well, the RPO on the goal line would typically be more effective if it wasn't for the fact that we like to spread the ball laterally so much already. Teams typically when they play against us are ready to be stretched laterally and on the goal line and redzone, where there is a lot more press-man coverage, it's easier to defend against the RPO since the defenders are closer to the LOS and can flatten out. Especially if they've got a fast nickel in the game. The Wildcat can at times be more effective with a quick runner because of the fact that you've got a LOT of big bodies wadded up in one place, with a runner that's small enough and shifty enough to out-maneuver said big bodies and take advantage of small cutbacks before the larger bodies can even react. It's big on big, but they're chasing a small target, and on the Goal Line, this is really effective since the smaller defenders are either already blocked out of the play by the mass number of blockers, or wont be able to close the distance quick enough assuming Gus has spread them out correctly. 

I'm not buying this. Once every defender, including the secondary keys on the wildcat, it's just a matter of getting to him. There is nothing to freeze the secondary and to keep them honest. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I'm not buying this. Once every defender, including the secondary keys on the wildcat, it's just a matter of getting to him. There is nothing to freeze the secondary and to keep them honest. 

It's the amount of time that it takes though to cut through the trash, especially if the wildcat-QB stays behind his line and they all zone-step play-side with the H-Backs picking up extra defenders. That makes it still viable as a scoring option and it works for us. Not to mention it's much less risky than having SW pass in such close conditions. While everyone can agree that SW is serviceable of a QB, he isn't accurate enough to assure 100% confidence from the coaches in tight red-zone windows. 

The fact that they still have to get to and get KJ in a square tackle is what makes it possible. Now assuming that the edge is set pretty well by their edge technique players, then he has to bounce it out and that's when the effectiveness of the play decreases. 

4 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

It's the amount of time that it takes though to cut through the trash, especially if the wildcat-QB stays behind his line and they all zone-step play-side with the H-Backs picking up extra defenders. That makes it still viable as a scoring option and it works for us. Not to mention it's much less risky than having SW pass in such close conditions. While everyone can agree that SW is serviceable of a QB, he isn't accurate enough to assure 100% confidence from the coaches in tight red-zone windows. 

The fact that they still have to get to and get KJ in a square tackle is what makes it possible. Now assuming that the edge is set pretty well by their edge technique players, then he has to bounce it out and that's when the effectiveness of the play decreases. 

Ok, what if we had another Nick Marshall 2.0doing the RPO? Great speed/ decent passing. Seems his speed could provide the best of both worlds as the little quick guy that could cause problems on the edge. 

4 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

While everyone can agree that SW is serviceable of a QB, he isn't accurate enough to assure 100% confidence from the coaches in tight red-zone windows. 

Agreed. This, I believe, is why we do roll outs to open the windows in the RZ. Don't take this statement to the bank though.

I like SW, bit there is a reason why the coaching staff doesn't throw much in the RZ. He is an average qb in the SEC (which really ain't saying much). Play calling really doesn't help him, neither does the o line BUT.. even with that being said, if he was lights put he would be able to find the open receivers down field more often and his deep ball is lacking, mostly underthrown balls. I like JJ too but he will never play any meaningful games ever again. I agree JJ has more talent bit he cannot handle pressure or read defenses.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Ok, what if we had another Nick Marshall 2.0doing the RPO? Great speed/ decent passing. Seems his speed could provide the best of both worlds as the little quick guy that could cause problems on the edge. 

Agreed. This, I believe, is why we do roll outs to open the windows in the RZ. Don't take this statement to the bank though.

If we had Nick Marshall 2.0 then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It basically reduces the need to even have the RPO since the QB is a glorified ball carrier with enough speed, yet retains that passing multiplicity, then you can build play-action style RPOs into your offense ALL downfield and really confuse the defense giving MORE than enough time in the redzone to get someone off the mark. All in one play the defense has to account for the pass on the edge to a one on one matchup, where now the defender has to key the receiver that much harder while being available to close an almost impossible gap between their edge of the field and the goal line with a speedster. The defensive line and LBs have to be able to get downhill on a full flow zone run and take the dive. But then they have to slow down and be able to replace space in the gaps and cutback lanes to protect the backside with the QB being able to run and hit them so quickly. It's a lose-lose. Also part of the reason why Lamar Jackson has so many TDs. He basically is about as close as a QB can get in college as a 50-50 pass-run threat. 

But yeah, typically with a QB that is less accurate, you want to move the pocket to take away half the field, give him easier reads, keep him in line with his WRs so that the pass is still just a straight throw rather than throwing at angles that may require more arm strength and precision. It also tries to as you said "open windows" and give SW a bit more time since his passes don't always have the necessary zip to them. That's where JJ excels, though at the same time sometimes his arm strength and height work against him as his passes need adjustment and sail and zip through WR hands or overshoot. 

Archived