Public Education

Auburn85

Where would public education be if there were no private schools?

Alabama has around 65 AISA schools

Then, take into account in Montgomery: Trinity(4A), St. James(4A), Montgomery Academy(3A), Alabama Christian(2A) are all competing in AAHSA.

I do understand when being classified, these private schools are counted something like 1.27 per person rather than 1. Confusing? You betcha!

All the parents of private school children are paying into the public school system. Where's their money?

Paul Hubbard, the leader of the inmfamous AEA, is really pushing for a 7% raise of teachers. I agree thatthe teachers deserve a raise, but looking at the fiscal situation, they may not get the 7%. Although, there is talk of them getting some kind of raise.

Yes, there is a surplus in the education budget, but if we give the teachers their 7%raise, the funds may or may not be there next fiscal year.

Lets take a minute and compare superintendents salaries compared to teachers salaries. Teachers in Alabama make around $30,000-$35,000

Carlinda Purcell, the newly hired Montgomery Superintendent, has a salary of around $160,000

The Alabama's State superintendent, Joseph Morton, makes around $175,000

Most superintendents make as much as 3 times the salary of our teachers!!! :blink:

As you here in Alabama and all across the country that Public Schools never have enough money.

As the legislature meets this week, let's all get in contact with your local superintendent to ask him to take a paycut, to go towards the teachers raise or into the education budget.

In all, there are 131 superintendents. Keep in mind that Alabama has 67 counties.

I understand in some instances, that there are school systems that are kind of on their own, like Tallassee.

Here's a list of all the superintendents,along side with a phone number. Also, if you click on the name of the superintendent, you get an email link.

We can also ask the governor to take a pay cut, along with Paul Hubbard, who I know is not a State employee, but he's always crying for the teachers and the kids. He makes around $250,000- $300,000.

Not that this is a good comparison ,but you have heard how the airlines are asking their employess to take up to a 33% paycut in some instances, just so the airline can continue to function.

http://www.alsde.edu/html/super_listing.as...&footer=general

What is your point? Do you think that the discrepancy in salaries is something unique?

In corporate America, first line supervisors make 30 to 40 k in many cases while their corporate leaders sometimes make many millions of dollars. Go back and take a few economics courses if you want to understand the system that you seem to find puzzling.

So it's good for government to be ran like Corporate America?

We should just sit back and let the system cut programs that are most vulnerable or maybe to expect a tax hike because that's just the way the system works?

If you don't think that the superintendent of a school system earns his or her salary, I suggest you sit with them for a day. Sure, most of them have 6 figure salaries, but you have no clue the amount of work and stress that goes into that job.

I'm not questioning the way they work, but why don't they feel some sort of crunch too. I'm not saying cut their salary by 50%, but why not 5-7%.

The teachers go through that same stress too.

When cuts need to be made, superintendents salaries aren't cut, but rather teachers are shown the door. We ask to much of our teachers as it is.

Most superintendents make more than the governor.

If you don't think that the superintendent of a school system earns his or her salary, I suggest you sit with them for a day.  Sure, most of them have 6 figure salaries, but you have no clue the amount of work and stress that goes into that job.

142892[/snapback]

Oh , I have no clue the stress they go through? I didn't even mention that. I never said that they do the fraction of the work a teacher does.

Oh and I really appreciate your assuption of my intelligence.

If you don't think that the superintendent of a school system earns his or her salary, I suggest you sit with them for a day.  Sure, most of them have 6 figure salaries, but you have no clue the amount of work and stress that goes into that job.

142892[/snapback]

Oh , I have no clue the stress they go through? I didn't even mention that. I never said that they do the fraction of the work a teacher does.

143033[/snapback]

Don't mention it.

Basically, all I am saying is that when you look over the budget for an entire school system, the salary of a superintendent is a fraction of that figure. Do teachers deserve a raise? Of course they do. But there are many more ways to make that happen then by cutting the salary of the superintendent. In my town, for example, lets say we have approximately 500 teachers, making an average of $30,000 / year. That comes to a $15 million annual salary expense in the budget of the school system. Lets say the superintendent makes $120,000/year, and takes a 5% decrease in pay to distribute out in the form of a raise to the teachers. That equals $6,000, or a raise of about $12/year per teacher--before taxes.

Find a realistic way to increase the salaries of the teachers and I am all for it.

Where would public education be if there were no private schools?

Alabama has around 65 AISA schools

Then, take into account in Montgomery: Trinity(4A), St. James(4A), Montgomery Academy(3A), Alabama Christian(2A) are all competing in AAHSA.

I do understand when being classified, these private schools are counted something like 1.27 per person rather than 1. Confusing? You betcha!

All the parents of private school children are paying into the public school system. Where's their money?

Paul Hubbard, the leader of the inmfamous AEA, is really pushing for a 7% raise of teachers. I agree thatthe teachers deserve a raise, but looking at the fiscal situation, they may not get the 7%. Although, there is talk of them getting some kind of raise.

Yes, there is a surplus in the education budget, but if we give the teachers their 7%raise, the funds may or may not be there next fiscal year.

Lets take a minute and compare superintendents salaries compared to teachers salaries. Teachers in Alabama make around $30,000-$35,000

Carlinda Purcell, the newly hired Montgomery Superintendent, has a salary of around $160,000

The Alabama's State superintendent, Joseph Morton, makes around $175,000

Most superintendents make as much as 3 times the salary of our teachers!!! :blink:  

As you here in Alabama and all across the country that Public Schools never have enough money.

As the legislature meets this week, let's all get in contact with your local superintendent to ask him to take a paycut,( TO GO TOWARDS  THE TEACHER PAY RAISE OR INTO THE EDUCATION BUDGET

In all, there are 131 superintendents. Keep in mind that Alabama has 67 counties.

I understand in some instances, that there are school systems that are kind of on their own, like Tallassee.

Here's a list of all the superintendents,along side with a phone number. Also, if you click on the name of the superintendent, you get an email link.

We can also ask the governor to take a pay cut, along with Paul Hubbard, who I know is not  a State employee, but he's always crying for the teachers and the kids. He makes around $250,000- $300,000.

Not that this is a good comparison ,but you have heard how the airlines are asking their employess to take up to a 33% paycut in some instances, just so the airline can continue to function.

http://www.alsde.edu/html/super_listing.as...&footer=general

142808[/snapback]

I didn't say it would solve the problem, but I think it would send a positive message for teachers and the school system.

131 superintendents 1000s of teachers. DUHHHHH!

I guess Paul Hubbard's itelligence should be questioned too. He wants to give the teachers a 7% raise, BUT to maintain the 7% raise for next year, the economy would have to grow 6%.

But hey, Paul will get a pass, he's the man

142892[/snapback]

143033[/snapback]

Don't mention it.

Basically, all I am saying is that when you look over the budget for an entire school system, the salary of a superintendent is a fraction of that figure. Do teachers deserve a raise? Of course they do. But there are many more ways to make that happen then by cutting the salary of the superintendent. In my town, for example, lets say we have approximately 500 teachers, making an average of $30,000 / year. That comes to a $15 million annual salary expense in the budget of the school system. Lets say the superintendent makes $120,000/year, and takes a 5% decrease in pay to distribute out in the form of a raise to the teachers. That equals $6,000, or a raise of about $12/year per teacher--before taxes.

Find a realistic way to increase the salaries of the teachers and I am all for it.

143086[/snapback]

I was typing too fast :poke::roflol::D

Archived