CNN's Fareed Zakaria: Trump Victory "An Act Of Class Rebellion" Against "The Educated"

DKW 86

Trump Victory "An Act Of Class Rebellion" Against "The Educated"

And we tried to get at that deeper issue, which is really a portrait of America. A kind of cultural and class portrait of an America that feels deeply resentful about the direction the country is going in and the people who run the country. People, you know, who are professionals, urban, educated. This is, in a sense, an act of class rebellion. It is an act of cultural rebellion. And Donald Trump is their guy. 

You can -- you can ask -- we tried to explain why he became their guy, but he is their guy and, you know, my sense has always been, they have latched on to him the way you latch on to a sports team. The fact that the sports team is not doing well does not mean you will give up support. So when people keep watching and saying, well, but Trump is not really a conservative. Ideology doesn't matter. They say, well, he's not accomplishing much. Competence doesn't matter. This is some kind of tribal identity and they're sticking with him.

I told everyone i knew that this election was never about Trump, or even HRC. The election was about a Class Rebellion against Wreckless, Power and Money obsessed Elitists that think they were born to govern the rest of us, especially the middle class, with total disregard for the rest of the people. It is about a 100% chase of money and power by those elitists. We now have Dems, making more money off of Wall Street than any Republican ever has. 

My own view on this is: The Republicans are off in crazy town. They have no foundational groundings to their party and it is why they cant even govern. The Dem Leadership is Wall Street Owned. The Justice Dems, they are the beginning of a correction in the US. 

Yet, our political leadership is relatively uneducated when compared to other countries (China for example).  

I think the problem is more due to the amount of money and corruption our system allows.

Perhaps "social elite" would be a better term than "educated". 

27 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yet, our political leadership is relatively uneducated when compared to other countries (China for example).  

I think the problem is more due to the amount of money and corruption our system allows.

Perhaps "social elite" would be a better term than "educated". 

I found his use of the term "Educated" offensive, and to be quite frank, itself "elitist." Zakaria doesnt get that he and his friends and co-workers at CNN are very likely part of the problem the Middle Class has with the Nation as a whole. 

32 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I found his use of the term "Educated" offensive, and to be quite frank, itself "elitist." Zakaria doesnt get that he and his friends and co-workers at CNN are very likely part of the problem the Middle Class has with the Nation as a whole. 

Zakaria and CNN don't make or execute policy.  

People, you know, who are professionals, urban, educated. This is, in a sense, an act of class rebellion. It is an act of cultural rebellion. 

He, nor I, ever said they execute policy. HE said that rebellion concerned LESS EDUCATED people. IMHO he was including himself and everyone in the room with him as being part of "People, you know, who are professionals, urban, educated."

20 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

He, nor I, ever said they execute policy. HE said that rebellion concerned LESS EDUCATED people. IMHO he was including himself and everyone in the room with him as being part of "People, you know, who are professionals, urban, educated."

Sorry, but I took your comment to mean he is part of the (actual) problem, which - upon closer reading - which is not what you said.

To your point, educated, urban, professionals probably are perceived as part of the problem by people who feel they are being left behind economically.  But the divide between successful people and those sliding backwards is a symptom, not the problem itself.

The polarization of wealth and income in our country is one of the main political challenges of our time.   And it's not an emerging problem, it's been ongoing for a few decades.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

The polarization of wealth and income in our country is one of the main political challenges of our time.   And it's not an emerging problem, it's been ongoing for a few decades.

Wealth Inequality in America  link...

Changed my life. And yes I know it is a little old. I also know it isnt getting any better.

Archived