Thoughts on Rather's Farewell.

DKW 86

Link

It's running of the :bs:

With his career ending in a crash, ....Rather has made sympathy or even silence impossible by adopting an exit strategy that is as unseemly as it is bizarre.

Silly me for expecting anything else.

...Rather has inadvertently revealed the raging ego that took him to the top of his business, and then took him over the cliff.  :big:

Analogies to hunting and running and battles and bravery - who talks about himself like that? No journalist I know. Certainly not the best ones....

...Even after lots of beer, they don't boast about their battles because experience has taught them to be wary of those who thump their chests. For real journalists, the story is the story.

Rather, he has now proven, has nothing in common with such people. His grasping bravado is more fitting for a fading actor addicted to applause.

He also sounds like he's locked in a time warp, for there is a 1970s quality to Rather's boasts.....Rather, who covered Watergate, seems to have lived his life looking to repeat the sensation.

That quest is relevant, of course, to his demise. The story he and his team did on President Bush's National Guard service would no doubt qualify as one of his "big-game" hunts. Perhaps it could have brought down a President, or at least shifted an election. Indeed, the probe into the fiasco uncovered some chatter among the participants along those very lines.

All that was missing were the facts. But that didn't stop Rather from plunging ahead. What do facts matter when you're Dan Rather, star reporter? Even now, he can't bring himself to admit the story should not have aired. :clap: Someone gets it finally!

Yet I don't think bias is Rather's greatest sin. There are lots of biased journalists, some of them good journalists otherwise.

No, what is really destructive, especially for young people, is the very notion that Rather is a journalist at all. He's a performer, a stunt man, a celebrity who makes $7 million a year for role-playing.

He's not a journalist, you see, he just plays one on TV. Ouch! That had to hurt!

Rather left......

Hmmmm! Just never paid him any attention in the first place. Until his lie came out, I thought he was dead! At least he looked that way on TV. Or maybe it was his ratings that looked dead!

Don't be depressed, Dan will still be on TV & still have a job. I heard he will now be hosting Ripley's Believe It Or Not. :big:

Don't be depressed, Dan will still be on TV & still have a job.  I heard he will now be hosting Ripley's Believe It Or Not:big:

150425[/snapback]

That was pretty good :P

Rather biased Dan ceased to be a force in media "news" over a decade ago when most people realized what the author of this piece states today.

For may part, Dan Rather, goodbye, good riddance and may your retirement years be spent as a bitter, disgruntled old man whose only memories are delusions of grandeur.

Archived