Watching the opponents opponents TTU-USF

stoic-one

UCF played USF a month ago.  While it was a fun game to watch because of the offenses, UCF won at their house by 7 (49-42), it still left me underwhelmed...

6-6 TTU is giving 9-2 USF all they want, and USF's only other loss was to 7-4 Houston @ USF, so color me jaded if I'm still a bit underwhelmed. Anyone else watching simply because it's the only game on?

19 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

UCF played USF a month ago.  While it was a fun game to watch because of the offenses, UCF won at their house by 7 (49-42), it still left me underwhelmed...

6-6 TTU is giving 9-2 USF all they want, and USF's only other loss was to 7-4 Houston @ USF, so color me jaded if I'm still a bit underwhelmed. Anyone else watching simply because it's the only game on?

Half watching but have the same impression......although bowl games are tough to figure.     I thought UAB would have done a better job against Ohio but they showed nothing.

BUT.....still think AU will do just fine and I'm happy that UCF has been keeping the bulletin board material flowing.  BUT also, I'm impressed that their fans are supporting their team....even if they might be over-rating their possibilities.

Meanwhile....where are the people for the b 'ham bowl.   I saw somewhere that USF sold about 1000 tickets.  Seems some of these up and coming Florida football teams have not developed student or fan support and their success has not put many fannies in seats.  

UCF sounds like they will do much better. 

None of the bowls thus far have been well attended, but the combination of Saturday before Christmas eve and traveling  500+ miles doesn't seem like a good combination conducive to the fans participation.

34 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

IMHO....there are just too many bowls and it has become too expensive for fans to travel to a game. 

Most of the smaller bowls are "made for TV" games......whether there are people at the games or not does not seem to bother the sponsors although at one time there was some kind of rule that a percentage (maybe half) of available tickets were supposed to be sold in the community.    I'm guessing that a lot of tickets get sold to people who buy them as a means of supporting their community and only got if the teams are good or the weather is nice. . 

This game is just filling Saturday afternoon space for ESPN, however if you want to hear a real professional call a game this is one.  Tom Hart should be ESPN/ABC's number one play-by-play guy.  Gets a little too excited on the big plays, but I think that is required these days.  Guy is really good and very intelligent.  And while I think the world of Chizik, he's not the greatest color guy...but he quite clearly knows X's & O's and game "process" and will get better with experience.

I watched the USF game before the Auburn basketball game and I was pretty impressed with the way their defense was  lforcing turnovers. Not just tipped pass interceptions but fumbles forced from violent hands and aggressive defense. The game must’ve had a fantastic finish though because I read that USF needed a GW drive. 

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

IMHO....there are just too many bowls and it has become too expensive for fans to travel to a game. 

Which is why I’m strongly against an 8 team playoff. And I’m only for a 6 team if the quarters were hosted by 3 and 4, with 1 and 2 getting an automatic bid in to the semis.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I watched the USF game before the Auburn basketball game and I was pretty impressed with the way their defense was  lforcing turnovers. Not just tipped pass interceptions but fumbles forced from violent hands and aggressive defense. The game must’ve had a fantastic finish though because I read that USF needed a GW drive. 

Last couple minutes were a scoring derby....thought TT had it won and then USF just ripped down the field and took the lead and the win with seconds left.

The other game...Army and San Diego had a great finish too....was amazing to watch Army run the ball all but two plays and keep it about 40 plus minutes....scored with 18 seconds to go....went to two and made it to take a one point lead.  Army kicked of and on the last play San Diego did the old "throw the ball all over the field play"...and funny thing was that Army intercepted one of the laterals after about 6 or 7 guys had handled the ball and ran it back for another TD. 

And if you are looking for a ST coach....talk to San Diego.....their two kick returners have  total of 10 KO returns for TDs....I think about 7 were this year.   They have to be doing something very right. 

22 hours ago, stoic-one said:

None of the bowls thus far have been well attended, but the combination of Saturday before Christmas eve and traveling  500+ miles doesn't seem like a good combination conducive to the fans participation.

They always said a championship playoff system would kill the bowls; it's happening.  The attendance will be better for the bowls coming up, but I still think that for the teams 5th to 12th that came a game or two from making the playoffs, the fans just aren't excited to go to a Bowl game that is a let down from the hopes throughout the season, and that no one is paying attention to...

1 hour ago, rexbo said:

They always said a championship playoff system would kill the bowls; it's happening.  The attendance will be better for the bowls coming up, but I still think that for the teams 5th to 12th that came a game or two from making the playoffs, the fans just aren't excited to go to a Bowl game that is a let down from the hopes throughout the season, and that no one is paying attention to...

The "left outs" are probably always going to feel bad and unenthusiastic about a bowl......no matter how many are in the playoffs.  Two problem with the bowls right now....one is those falling right on Christmas for middle of the road programs......and (2) that some pretty good football teams do not have that much of a fan following ....especially if spending a lot of money is involved for distant travel.  

So....what will the FSU crowd look like for their game?    Gotta be a diehard fan to go to Shreveport and see them play Southern Miss. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

The "left outs" are probably always going to feel bad and unenthusiastic about a bowl......no matter how many are in the playoffs.  Two problem with the bowls right now....one is those falling right on Christmas for middle of the road programs......and (2) that some pretty good football teams do not have that much of a fan following ....especially if spending a lot of money is involved for distant travel.  

So....what will the FSU crowd look like for their game?    Gotta be a diehard fan to go to Shreveport and see them play Southern Miss. 

I live in the panhandle of Florida, they may have some diehard fans there, but the bandwagon FSU fans are in hiding.  Like Bama fans in the early 2000's...

Archived