Computer Help

For the Mac, would it be cheaper to upgrade the RAM and HD when I order it or is it cheaper to take it somewhere after I have bought it?

152780[/snapback]

You can get much better pricing from someone other than Apple on RAM. The HD I'd just upgrade when I ordered it.

If you aren't comfortable doing the RAM yourself, many of the third party places will do it for a nominal fee.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can get much better pricing from someone other than Apple on RAM.  The HD I'd just upgrade when I ordered it. 

If you aren't comfortable doing the RAM yourself, many of the third party places will do it for a nominal fee.

152804[/snapback]

nominal.....is that like 80-90 bucks?

dont know if you have been to this place but its great for Mac users!!!

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/...hreads.php?Cat=

152810[/snapback]

I have, and it's a good forum. I actually prefer this one:

www.macaddict.com/forums

But both are very informative and helpful.

I'm gonna side with TT. I have a Dell laptop for home and an eMac at work and I would love to be able to get an iBook to replace this Dell. I have had many troubles with the Dell (including a $700 motherboard replacement). If you get a laptop, any laptop, get the longest warranty they offer.

Offtopic but look what Dell is offering...$20 more and you double your hard drive space. Low-end LCD but 19"! :blink: That's a nice deal for a value/performance machine.

Titan,

Is it worth the extra money to get the 14" with the quicker processor? I just got my tax refund back and can spend a little more than $1000.

154083[/snapback]

I don't think the speed difference in the processors would be worth the extra. I'd go with the 14" if you think you'd like a larger screen and a little more "wrist room" when typing. I think the 14" one can come with a SuperDrive as well. As far as performance, the 12" will be fine and you can use the $$ you save to pack more memory in it and other stuff like that.

Just ordered my 1st Apple! I went with the 14" one, My hands are pretty big so i thought I would like using the 14 over the 12. I went to the Apple store and "test drove" one and I think they are awesome, very basic and pretty easy to use. cant wait till i get it!

Bought an IBM A31 off ebay. 1.6 ghz. 20 gig HD. 16 Mg video. CD rom. 15" screen. 384 meg RAM. With wireless. Wife needed something to roam the house and surf. Working great. $551 shipped to my door. We use IBM at work and they hold up well for travel. I had a T22 fro a couple of years and now I have an R40. I did a lot of international travel with the T22. I got it used from another employee and it still lasted 3 years being hauled home every day and on the road. Our Dells are not holding up as well.

If you are gonna use your laptopo to jsut take notes and do schoolwork, I would advise any student to buy a cheap slow used laptop for schoolwork and use the leftover money to put into a nice desktop. With a desktoop, you can jsut about always upgrade cheap. My home computer is one I put together from parts several years ago. I only ordered a new motherboard and processor with video card. Used all my old peripherals. Ended up about $130. Great for the kids to beat on.

Just ordered my 1st Apple! I went with the 14" one, My hands are pretty big so i thought I would like using the 14 over the 12. I went to the Apple store and "test drove" one and I think they are awesome, very basic and pretty easy to use. cant wait till i get it!

154099[/snapback]

Very cool! I have a 12" iBook at work and it's really great. I think I'd opt for the 14" myself if I got one for home. Nice to have a little more viewing area on the screen. I just didn't want to misrepresent the performance difference between the two, especially since you mentioned portability being more important than a large screen. Enjoy it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'll help you get acclimated any way I can.

Cool. Thanks, should be here sometime this week!

154292[/snapback]

Did you up the memory on it? Any other goodies or extras? Also, what did you decide about AppleCare?

I went ahead and upgraded the Memory to 512MB. The HD was at 60 and that should be plenty for me. I am going to wait a couple months to get the apple care plan. I am for sure going to get it before I go to Austria this summer!

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz

14-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)

60GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

32MB DDR video memory

AirPort Extreme built-in

Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English

I also bought a carrying case and a external mouse

t7486lla_125.jpg

the case was only $39.99(I got $10 off b/c I'm a student)

tb070lla_125.jpg

no discount here, b/c its not an apple product

Archived