Cost of the new X-Box 2 and PS3

jared52

What do you think the nextgen consoles will cost at launch?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the nextgen consoles will cost at launch?

• $99
    • $199
    • $299
    • $399
    • $499
    • $599
    • $600 and up

If the PS3 and X-Box 2 have similar funcitionality, which they may not, what do you think it's going to cost on launch?

I think $499 because I believe Sony and MS are going to make these machines home entertainment systems that play video games, and not the other way around. The new procesors and such will boost the price up as well as the complex software to tun these computers.

Actually, Sony, microsoft, and nintendo all lose money on the actual hardware. They did with ps2 and xbox. The key business model now is to get them out at the lowest possible price (biggest affordable loss to the company) so they have a higher base for sales of software...where all the money/profit margin is anyway.

I think 400-450 is the absolute highest youll see.

I can't see them going for anything higher than 299. BG is 100% right, they make their money on the games, not the consoles.

Well, the last ones came out at 299 and they couldnt keep them in stores. And like Jarhead said, the added media features will demand/justify a higher price offering. But not too high.

Right, and I don't see them raising the prices much, if at all. The PSP is much, much higher than either the GBA or the DS, and I walk into Target and see tons of them.

Also, BG, have you heard if current generation games will be playable on the next gen? And any word on Hard Drives with these new systems, either. Thanks!

Initially, the Xbox 2 wasnt going to be backwards compatible...but it seems like they see that as a huge negative as far as consumers are concerned. BC is a huge deal these days.

The rumor is that the next xbox will have 3 versions. One minus a hard drive, one with, and one full blown media center.

I think the ps3 will have one built in.

From what I've read on the subject I would expect the new X-box to launch somewhere between $399-$499 at the least. With capabilities said to rival high-end gaming PC's, it's still a bargain. Also I think you can expect the price of games for the new system to be in the $60-$70 range. I really hope it's backwards compatible because I own a lot of X-box games already.

There have been several rumors on the PS3 regarding prices and games. I have heard that there will be two versions released. One for around $299 that is just the gaming system. They will release another that will be around $799 that will be the complete home entertainment system. I'm not sure if this will be a surround sound receiver or what all is included in the home entertainment system.

For the games, I have heard a rumor from several sources that there will be options to purchase and download games to the internal hard drive that will be significantly less than the price of a game disk, somewhere in the $15-20 range for new games.

Archived