Softball at Kentucky - Game 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team is on tilt for some reason. One thing that struck me was that the players were joking and clowning around in the process of being swept by U.K. Losing should not be an enjoyable experience. It can be a learning experience, but never an enjoyable experience for athletes in a competitive program.

I still have reservations about Dean. Perhaps he can turn things around, perhaps not. He certainly seems to have the personality of a dill pickle. Granted, he is not being paid for his personality, but personality can and does effect the way that players react to coaching.

Maybe we just don't have the talent, haven't developed the talent we have, or lack the mental fortitude required of greatness. I'm pulling for the team to make a 180 degree turn and finish the season strong.

12 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

This team is on tilt for some reason. One thing that struck me was that the players were joking and clowning around in the process of being swept by U.K. Losing should not be an enjoyable experience. It can be a learning experience, but never an enjoyable experience for athletes in a competitive program.

I didn't like all the nonsense in the dugout either. It pretty much smacks of "who cares?"

As for Dean, I have reservations too but it's only fair to give a new coach at least three full seasons to get the house in order.

I didn't see any of the games, but there is no way we should be swept by Kentucky.  As said above, we hit Baalman well last year, and she was 6-8 this year.  It seems something has happened to the dynamic.  The series win at UT should have given us the momentum to win the Georgia series.  I think hosting a regional is definitely out of the question now.  Just too damn bad Martin got hurt.

The team is still hitting better than the 2018 team was through 47 games, with a .313/.400/.528 slash line vs .293/.394/.452 in 2018, which is pretty shocking considering we lost 2 solid starters and didn't really add anyone great (Godwin is hitting well but only has 37 ABs, Greenwood and Nillen have 61 combined ABs and have been decently below average).

The pitching is obviously much worse, but fairly expected after losing Carlson and the MM injury.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

oI didn't like all the nonsense in the dugout either. It pretty much smacks of "who cares?"

As for Dean, I have reservations too but it's only fair to give a new coach at least three full seasons to get the house in order.

It would be nice if the TV folks would not be so inclined to show so much of that stuff.  Just encourages some to do it in order to get some face time.  I believe in having fun but fail to see the connection between upside down visors and sun glasses and winning a game.  Some players seem not to participate in those antics.  Must admit I am looking at this through the lenses of a senior citizen and not a 18 -21 year old.  Also the frustration of our last couple of  series.

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Must admit I am looking at this through the lenses of a senior citizen and not a 18 -21 year old.  Also the frustration of our last couple of  series.

Also a senior citizen …..but I'm thinking that this is pretty typical for softball...see it everywhere and I get the impression that is might be encouraged to keep the girls interested in the game, create a team spirit......especially those not playing.   And JMO, but I'm not sure that a serious attitude or grim face contributes to better results.    By and large the dance routines, group sings are not my thing....but if the girls are having fun ….which I hope they do, win or lose,   then I accept it as part of the game these days. . 

9 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Just too damn bad Martin got hurt.

What's really too damn bad is that Corey Myers couldn't act like an adult leader should act. I know I'm crying over spilled milk, but after years of attending several of our softball games every season and just bearing the low expectations, the immediate change Clint brought was one of the more pleasant shocks of my Auburn fandom. Meteor fast rise, meteor fast fall. It all happened so FAST!

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

What's really too damn bad is that Corey Myers couldn't act like an adult leader should act. I know I'm crying over spilled milk, but after years of attending several of our softball games every season and just bearing the low expectations, the immediate change Clint brought was one of the more pleasant shocks of my Auburn fandom. Meteor fast rise, meteor fast fall. It all happened so FAST!

I have to agree with this. Myers was just miles ahead of what Dean is now in recruiting, developing, and just having postseason runs. We were National runner ups a few years ago and now we can’t even host a regional 

" Myers was just miles ahead of what Dean is now in recruiting, developing, and just having postseason runs. We were National runner ups a few years ago and now we can’t even host a regional" As stated in previous forum topics, many of the players who contributed to the success of the teams coached by Myers were here when he arrived; I believe he was able to coach them up to maximum abilities. I went to several practices in the fall and spring after his first season and I was amazed and impressed at how fast and intense it was. They were in some ways as fun as watching a game..... so many moving parts going on at one time. He was right to say that after their practices, the games would seem slow. I believe he did upgrade the quality of our pitching staff. Myers had a higher recognition profile since he had 2 titles at Arizona State and took AU to the WCWS twice. Dean, though respected for what he has done during his coaching career, is on a lower platform by comparison. I believe Dean has been caught short handed as we have had a number of prior high rated commits change their minds and go to other programs. It seems we have a pretty good class coming in this next year but still need some pitching help and reliable hitting. Another possible variable is that Myers basically brought an intact coaching staff (Corey came over from the Thunderbolts)while Dean had to scramble twice to put his in place. Not making excuses, just considering some of the variables. I would like to see the current staff and team succeed but what appeared to be an overachieving team has now taken a skid. Never a good thing to lose your top pitcher but overall team confidence appears to be in decline. Hope I am wrong and we see some sort of turn around this weekend.

I just can't imagine Coach Dean sitting in a den trying to convince a 17 year old girl and her parents that Auburn is the place for them and that he is the coach to take her to The WCWS and make her an all American.  He seems to have zero personality. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball at Kentucky - Game 3

Archived