Loss, love, and a promise kept for the voice of Auburn football

CAReeves2010

Just Wow!! What was lost that day.....Rod and Paula chose wisely. God Bless them all.......

I never thought the death of someone I didn’t know personally could affect me so much until the death of Jim Fyffe, then Lutz happened and I thought nothing would ever hurt more than that...then Rod and Paula happened and it hurt so so bad I couldn’t imagine what the family and friends of the Brambletts were going through.  God Bless Andy and his family and all those who have rallied around those kids in such a horrible time.  

I am typically a very stoic person, but there were multiple times while reading this article that I got misty eyed. I do encourage folks to read the article. 

Great article and tissues may be required for reading. So much gets put out there that you wonder what has happened to humanity and wonder if decent people exist. This article shows there is still some good and decent people around

I know this depth of love and sacrifice exists all over the world, but I also like to believe it is in the fabric of our Auburn culture.  I choose to focus on the good and the Burchams are a shining example of what is good.  They set aside their own personal pain to take on the even greater burden of caring for Josh.  God be with them.  Makes the fan griping seem a little insignificant in the whole scheme of things, in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I do not know when I have EVER read something so nitty-gritty-real-powerful. I know we think of and pray for them...all...often...but this glimpse will help us really make a difference. It still takes my breath away, even passing by the intersection enroute to a field trip destination. I can't ever begin to imagine...they just take the next step forward. Thank you for sharing this. 🦋🙏

Want to add that Rod and Paula would be...are...SO pleased, relieved. My heart...💔🙌

33 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I do not know when I have EVER read something so nitty-gritty-real-powerful. I know we think of and pray for them...all...often...but this glimpse will help us really make a difference. It still takes my breath away, even passing by the intersection enroute to a field trip destination. I can't ever begin to imagine...they just take the next step forward. Thank you for sharing this. 🦋🙏

You're welcome Tora. I normally don't have the patience to finish a lengthy article at work but I'm blessed I did today. One of the best I've ever read.

I read this article for the first time early this morning.  Wiped away my tears and went about my daily business.  I couldn't stop thinking about it all day long.  

All those horrific moments (the phone calls, the driver's ed class, Shelby thinking about taking guardianship of Josh, etc.).  I simply cannot imagine how I would have been able to handle any of it.  I don't see any mention of Andy or Jan having any children.  So can you imagine how difficult it was to suddenly be the guardian of a 16 year old young man that has lost his parents?  Without the benefit of experience of raising children?  And how do you handle the Shelby situation?  She's an "adult" but they still need guidance at that age. 

I am sure there have been really difficult situations that were not mentioned in the article.  And there are still a lot more difficult situations to face.  But Wow... Jan and Andy are doing such a great job.

And I am absolutely amazed at the maturity of both Shelby and Josh.  It's a real tribute to the parenting of both Rod and Paula.

My grown kids are arriving tonight for the holidays.  The second they walk through the door, they are going to get hugged and kissed to death.  They are going to wonder what's wrong with Dad.

6 minutes ago, countoff said:

I read this article for the first time early this morning.  Wiped away my tears and went about my daily business.  I couldn't stop thinking about it all day long.  

All those horrific moments (the phone calls, the driver's ed class, Shelby thinking about taking guardianship of Josh, etc.).  I simply cannot imagine how I would have been able to handle any of it.  I don't see any mention of Andy or Jan having any children.  So can you imagine how difficult it was to suddenly be the guardian of a 16 year old young man that has lost his parents?  Without the benefit of experience of raising children?  And how do you handle the Shelby situation?  She's an "adult" but they still need guidance at that age. 

I am sure there have been really difficult situations that were not mentioned in the article.  And there are still a lot more difficult situations to face.  But Wow... Jan and Andy are doing such a great job.

And I am absolutely amazed at the maturity of both Shelby and Josh.  It's a real tribute to the parenting of both Rod and Paula.

My grown kids are arriving tonight for the holidays.  The second they walk through the door, they are going to get hugged and kissed to death.  They are going to wonder what's wrong with Dad.

Not enough likes. I agree. Read it yesterday and then again this morning, this time to my three on a family trip to DC/Colonial Williamsburg. Son is Shelby's age. Daughter, about same age difference at nearly 24. Son much like Josh, according to description. The AUFamily will stay rallied as they navigate life, but the Burchams are on the front lines. God is supplying...but this has been the unthinkable. Haven't shared this until now, but I graduated (Auburn HS) with the mother of the other teen. 😢 Met R and P casually as high school seniors in a prom group in 1984...their love was deep and from early on (reconnected later at an AU basketball game). My heart goes out to all involved, but my passion and protective spirit are with Shelby and Josh. Wise babies, beyond their years, price too high for it. May the Lord in a way only He can, keep binding up the brokenhearted and bring a Joseph-type outcome from this unwanted life twist. If we say and show "I love you" a little more often to those God placed us with, circles  of influence-wise, that's one good step in itself. 

Archived