Play the liberal hypocrisy game.

Tigermike

MAY. 18, 2005:

CONSTITUTIONALISTS

David Frum

"Why do you delight in pointing out liberal hypocrisy," an unwary interviewer once asked Bill Buckley.

"Because I delight in delightful things," Buckley answered.

For those who like to savor the extra-flavorful versions of liberal hypocrisy, take a look if you haven't already at this site, maintained by the office of Texas senator John Cornyn. It's called "Name that Speaker," and it offers up a daily quiz like for example this one from April 28:

"Thursday's edition of NameThat Speaker showcases a quote from a Senator who has been in the Congress for decades. Today's hint is geographic in nature, and can be found in the quote. Remember, the rules are simple: Read the following quote and try to identify who said it. The answer appears below, but don't cheat, make your guess before clicking for the answer.

"'Well, slaying the filibuster dinosaur—and that is what I call it, a dinosaur, a relic of the ancient past—slaying the filibuster dinosaur has also been endorsed by papers around the country, including the New York Times, which just editorialized on this last Sunday; the USA Today; the Washington Post; the Fort Worth Star-Telegram; in my own State, the Des Moines Register, the Cedar Gazette, the Quad-City Times, and the Council Bluffs Non-Pareil.'

"This speaker believes that the Senate should slay the 'filibuster dinosaur.' So, too, do several editorial boards of national and regional newspapers. So, who was it? A senior Republican Senator? A partisan special interest group? Make your guess, and then click here for the answer...

"If you guessed that the speaker was U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), you win! [Congressional Record, January 4, 1995]"

Also on line are today's ever more astounding Canadian developments. Here is Andrew Coyne's excellent column on the Belinda Stronach. Andrew offers links to other important comments. I'll have one in tomorrow's National Post. I'll add a link here as soon as it becomes available.

In the meantime, there's this: an audiotape recorded by a Conservative Member of Parliament in which someone who sounds very much like the chief of staff to Prime Minister Paul Martin offers the MP a promise of plush appointments if he'll abstain in tomorrow's vote on the fate of the Martin government. At the moment, the vote tally is 153 probable against the government, 152 probable in favor - and 1 unknown. In case of a tie, the balance would be broken by the speaker of the house, almost certainly in the government's favor.

http://www.nationalreview.com/frum/diary051805.asp#063611

Archived