Steele predicts Harsin to be best SEC newcomer

aubiefifty

Phil Steele predicts Bryan Harsin to be best SEC newcomer

Zac Blackerby
2 minutes

Bryan Harsin is in a great situation to be the best first-year head coach in the SEC.

The new Auburn head football coach was predicted to have the best first year in the SEC by college football expert Phil Steele.

He joined Chris Gordy on Locked On SEC. The host asked Steele of the new coaches in the conference, Josh Heupel at Tennessee, Shane Beamer at South Carolina, Clark Lea at Vanderbilt, and Bryan Harsin, who is most likely to hit the ground running.

Steele responded by saying Harsin.

“I feel that the one that is going to come out with the best record this year is Harsin of Auburn,” Steele said. “They do have a tough schedule. They have to play Penn State on the road, LSU on the road, Texas A&M on the road, and Alabama at home. So that’s four-game that they are clearly going to be an underdog in and they also host Georgia. They’ll be an underdog there. SO they will probably be an underdog in five games this year but they have 15 returning starters coming back. They’re not making drastic changes. They do have Bo Nix back at quarterback. Tank Bigsby back at running back is big. I thought when he got injured late in the year last year, it had a big effect on the offense. The offensive line looks solid. They have one of the best linebacking corps in the country with Owen Pappoe and Zakoby McClain. The secondary is solid, in fact, seven of their units rank in my top units. So, despite the tough schedule, I think of those four head coaches, they probably end up with the best record.”

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not that the competition was tough, but I thought we buried the rest of the new hires for the conference. 

i do not mind losing it is gonna happen. even saban loses. but how we lose is what bothers me. when the other team watches auburn take the field i want them to think the gods have released the kracken and we are kick their candy asses all over the field if you smell what i am cooking..............lol. um winning is nice too tho.

• Like 3

As it gets closer to the season, I'm beginning to convince myself that Harsin pulls off 9 or 10 wins in his first season, including a bowl win. He gets all the momentum he needs to get over the recruiting hump I'm worried about. 

Alright, time to quit screwing around and replying to every thread and finally buy my wife an anniversary present. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

As it gets closer to the season, I'm beginning to convince myself that Harsin pulls off 9 or 10 wins in his first season, including a bowl win. He gets all the momentum he needs to get over the recruiting hump I'm worried about. 

Alright, time to quit screwing around and replying to every thread and finally buy my wife an anniversary present. 

Set her an aufamily account as a gift and both you can meet on line here..... Just offering a gift idea.😀

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

The offensive line looks solid. They have one of the best linebacking corps in the country with Owen Pappoe and Zakoby McClain. The secondary is solid, in fact, seven of their units rank in my top units.

Man, Steele trying to get my hopes up!   

I think many, including myself, had this year marked as one of those seasons where Gus does better than 8-5.  Dline has been improved.  LBs, DBs, RBs, TE, QB position have quality depth in place.  Oline and WR are the only positions in question.  Bama and UGA at home combined with low expectations usually equals good things.  Maybe even win the bowl game this time.

23 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not that the competition was tough, but I thought we buried the rest of the new hires for the conference. 

Tennessee did alright with Heupel, but he's kinda green, and I'm not sure if he has the know-how to build a program. I wouldn't say we buried them with our hire, but I do think we did better, and not just because Harsin has a longer track record. It's difficult to compare the hires at South Carolina and Vandy to Auburn, though. Neither one has the kind of history Auburn does. I mean, seriously, if I were an up and coming head coach, I would be loathe to take the position at half the schools in the SEC just because of what they're up against without a strong tradition and support base to draw from. The 6 traditional powers and TAMU are the only SEC jobs where consistent success is realistically attainable. The others are stepping stone jobs for top head coaches.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Tennessee did alright with Heupel, but he's kinda green, and I'm not sure if he has the know-how to build a program. I wouldn't say we buried them with our hire, but I do think we did better, and not just because Harsin has a longer track record. It's difficult to compare the hires at South Carolina and Vandy to Auburn, though. Neither one has the kind of history Auburn does. I mean, seriously, if I were an up and coming head coach, I would be loathe to take the position at half the schools in the SEC just because of what they're up against without a strong tradition and support base to draw from. The 6 traditional powers and TAMU are the only SEC jobs where consistent success is realistically attainable. The others are stepping stone jobs for top head coaches.

I'd say UT had the 2nd best hire. USC did about as good as they could have, but until Vandy goes and hires the top FCS coach or one that runs the flexbone, I won't consider their hire a success. They've gotta get someone who knows how to get more out of less. 

I was looking at the 247 composite rankings this morning and Vandy is cleaning up.  All 3*s but if coached correctly they could cause some havoc.  James Franklin showed there is no reason not to be at least average at Vandy.  Great city, great school(if you can get in), sucky fan base but that could change with some wins.  I also have to believe there is some big money donors to be had there.

12 hours ago, Ausburn2 said:

Set her an aufamily account as a gift and both you can meet on line here..... Just offering a gift idea.😀

And that way I'll never have to buy her an anniversary gift ever again!

• WarTiger changed the title to Steele predicts Harsin to be best SEC newcomer