Texas A&M Won't Play In The Gator Bowl

PowerOfDixieland

Wake Forest completely hosed....

https://footballscoop.com/news/college-football-playoff-postponement-cancellation-guidelines

Already on Wednesday, Texas A&M announced it will not play in the Dec. 31 Gator Bowl against Wake Forest. Between season-ending injuries, opt-outs, transfers and a run of positive cases, the Aggies claimed to be down to just 38 available scholarship players. "It's unfortunate but we just don't have enough scholarship players to field a team," Jimbo Fisher said. The ACC and the Gator Bowl will effort to find a replacement team, but prospects don't look good. The 17th-ranked Demon Deacons' season might just be over unless they find: A) a 5-7 team willing to cut short its holiday break to return to campus and play a game on short notice, B) a team willing to play two bowl games, or C) (gulp) another team happens to become available due to cancelations elsewhere.

Edited by PowerOfDixieland

38 scholarhsip players and they can't find 11 to put on the field?  And, it's against Wake Forest at that.  Wankers.  So much for that whole 12th Man thingy.  Way to represent the SEC.  

• Haha 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Texas A&M Won't Play In The Gator Bowl

Sigh. I miss bowl season actually being fun. Stupid transfer portal.

Take me back to the 2000s please...

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 7

A combination of transfer portal, mass opt-outs and losing players to (overly stringent) Covid protocols that provided thin enough cover for A&M to make this decision. Just not a good look all the way around.

Looks like Rutgers is going to get first crack at being the replacement. They had the highest APR amongst the 5-7 teams.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

A combination of transfer portal, mass opt-outs and losing players to (overly stringent) Covid protocols that provided thin enough cover for A&M to make this decision. Just not a good look all the way around.

Looks like Rutgers is going to get first crack at being the replacement. They had the highest APR amongst the 5-7 teams.

Yep. A person testing positive doesn't mean much these days. Being vaccinated or having acquired natural immunity turns the Omicron variant into nothing but a two-day bout of the sniffles, if even that. An added benefit is strengthened immunity. These organizations are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Dislike 1

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

Sigh. I miss bowl season actually being fun. Stupid transfer portal.

Take me back to the 2000s please...

I hear you loud and clear on that, but the TV $ is too powerful (which makes the piss-poor attendance at most of these games moot, too.) I imagine a lot of these games are on as background noise while people are doing other stuff.

To be perfectly candid, though, I'm not the football/sports junkie that I was in my 20s/early 30s. I just give zero damns about a game between MTSU and Toledo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

I hear you loud and clear on that, but the TV $ is too powerful (which makes the piss-poor attendance at most of these games moot, too.) I imagine a lot of these games are on as background noise while people are doing other stuff.

To be perfectly candid, though, I'm not the football/sports junkie that I was in my 20s/early 30s. I just give zero damns about a game between MTSU and Toledo.

Yeah the sport was much more fun before the playoff.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Yeah the sport was much more fun before the playoff.

Agreed. Honestly, the bickering and debate over who was #1 after the bowl games prior to the BCS era never bothered me a whole lot, either. Others' mileage may vary on that, I realize.

Winning your conference was a much bigger deal...you wanted that Sugar Bowl berth that meant winning the SEC, or that Cotton Bowl berth for SWC schools, etc.

There were any number of split MNCs (even had one in the BCS era with LSU and USC in 2003), and more games had an impact on how things turned out. Didn't care about that, either. Miami and Washington split it in 1991, Colorado and Georgia Tech in 1990 did the same.

1983 didn't go our way in the polls, but from an outsider's standpoint, the Cotton, Sugar and Orange Bowls provided for a lot of dramatics.

The old-ish man will stop yelling at the clouds now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The 12th man just became a running joke. 38 schollys and 0 walk ons? This over the top surrender by A&M 10 days prior to a bowl game flies in the face to what their beloved tradition is all about. It would be funny if some A&M students plastered the faces of the AD and Jimbo on the 12th man statue outside the stadium.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

So true. UAB was playing somebody in the background while myself, my Dad, and Brother-In Laws played a serious game of Rook. I have no idea who won that bowl game and don't even care enough to bother to look it up.

16 hours ago, TigerTale said:

So true. UAB was playing somebody in the background while myself, my Dad, and Brother-In Laws played a serious game of Rook. I have no idea who won that bowl game and don't even care enough to bother to look it up.

You've missed some very entertaining  games IMO - more than I imagined. 

(But you do have to 'get into' the game mentally, so I get your point.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1