Medical School Oath

TexasTiger

Whether you may be comfortable making this a personal oath, should this be an oath students at a state medical school are expected to take?

https://alphanews.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Scan-Aug-31-2022-1.pdf

In my opinion, it’s laden with political views and ideological tenets that go beyond expectations that medical professionals don’t discriminate and respect each person’s individual dignity. Your thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Sorry, ICHY. I know much of this is religious in nature for you. But all forms of fundamentalism aside, I think we need to be able to discuss what oaths we require folks to declare their allegiance to in free society. I know how triggering you find discussion. May want to look away.

• Haha 1

Not a fan. Just shoehorning in a bunch of stuff already broadly covered by "first, do no harm."

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Not a fan. Just shoehorning in a bunch of stuff already broadly covered by "first, do no harm."

But laden with current political baggage.

Do no harm. Respect everyone’s inherent dignity. Who can complain about those two? Let student organizations form to discuss what they think broader implications are. Let them Fuel discussion.

Oaths & creeds need to be reasonably succinct and timeless.

• Like 3