ESPN thought Auburn deserved to be in the

AUHansel

I was reading this article on ESPN.com college football page and came across this

ESPN's college football staff watched every game played by USC, Oklahoma and Auburn last season. And for what it's worth, the consensus of our group after the regular season -- not a unanimous opinion, by the way -- was that Auburn was the second-best team in the country. One person thought the Tigers were the best. Might a committee that watched every game have reached the same conclusion? Might the BCS championship game have had a different result? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll never know.

LINK

there is the link, it's on the second page of the article if you want to know. written by Brad Edwards

Better late than never I guess. What do they mean might have been a better NC game. Of course it would have, no way we get our doors blowed off like that!!

Might the game have had a different outcome? Who knows.

What DEFINITELY would not have been the same? You WOULD NOT have been able to quote an Auburn Tiger on live television that they couldn't wait to get on the bus back home! <_<

Friggin choklahomo quitters! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough

Playoff playoff playoff playoff!!

I read that column earlier and no, it doesn't make me feel any better. It further substantiates our claims that the system is ridiculous and until drastic measures are taken to ensure a college football playoff, then the BCS and the AP will always claim a new victim each year. Furthermore, it cheapens any teams claim to a NC, including USC, who wins a national championship through the BCS. Popular opinion will consider them illigitimite because they won it legislatively, and not through a playoff. Had Auburn won the NC when there was another team from a major conference undefeated, then many people would have claimed that we were not a bona fide champ because another major team remained unbeaten. Until we have a playoff in Div. IA, then these issues will never be addressed.

This is a debate team's dream here. Who needs politics when you have the BCS? Forget about social security, the Supreme Court, foreign policy, etc. The BCS has enough mess and debatable topics to occupy one's time entirely.

The media continues to amaze me. They pulled out of the BCS because of the 2003 debacle, not 2004. They pulled out of the BCS because SC got screwed, not Auburn. Remember, the AP vote carried most of the weight with the BCS last season and the reason why Auburn finished 3rd in the BCS was the same reason why we finished 3rd in the AP, the journalists had SC #1 and OU#2.

Anyway, the author is stating the obvious here. You can make a case that Auburn was #1 or #2 or #3 etc. You could make the same case for OU and USC. We all know that OU was an unworthy 2 after the fact but then again, hindsight is 20/20. In my opinion, there should have been at least a four team playoff last season. There were enough undefeated teams to make that happen. Auburn, Oklahoma, USC, and Utah should have been given the chance to partake in a playoff.

Yes, Auburn got screwed but so did the rest of the country outside of Los Angeles. The BCS not only screwed Auburn, but it has screwed college football in the past and will continue to screw college football for many years to come.

Alex

I definitely believe that Auburn would have played a better game than the Oklahoma did. A Playoff would be way better than the stupid BCS System. A Playoff would be better cause it would let the teams settle it all on the field and it would let us have a true winner.

I was reading this article on ESPN.com college football page and came across this
ESPN's college football staff watched every game played by USC, Oklahoma and Auburn last season. And for what it's worth, the consensus of our group after the regular season -- not a unanimous opinion, by the way -- was that Auburn was the second-best team in the country. One person thought the Tigers were the best. Might a committee that watched every game have reached the same conclusion? Might the BCS championship game have had a different result? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll never know.

LINK

there is the link, it's on the second page of the article if you want to know. written by Brad Edwards

173044[/snapback]

sweet sig. AUHansel

Archived