Tristan Davis 6-5 yards, 7 long

Mike McLaughlin 1-2 yards

Jake Slaughter 1-(-1) yards

Passing

Brandon Cox 11-17, 199 yards, 2 TD, 68 long

Calvin Booker 3-8, 85 yards, 1 INT, 1 TD, 71 long

Blake Field 2-7, 23 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 20 long

'Scrimmage News'

Auburn didn't take long to make a statement. On the opening play, quarterback Brandon Cox play-actioned to Kenny Irons.

Irons ran up the middle, and Cox hit him in stride. Irons then shed the tackle of Eric Brock, raced to the end zone before Will Herring hauled him in at the 1-yard line.

'Cox was very impressive today making big throws and even better reads. His arm strength really stood....'

Cox was very impressive today making big throws and even better reads. His arm strength really stood out including several deep out-patterns.

'Mix had a big day'

Mix caught everything thrown his way including two touchdown catches from Cox. On one play, Mix caught an intermediate pass, broke 3-4 tackles and lunged into the end zone for a score. Very impressive day for Mix.

This guy who posted this stuff also showed concern with our DBs.

'half full/half empty'

yea, I like to see the D dominate early...

but, our DB's (depth) are having problems...

hopefully you guys can read all that without confusion. heh

Mix caught everything?? Guess he's giving up playing volleyball (last year @ Ole Miss!) :lol:

those stats should put to rest any argument over a QB battle...the Irons hype might have to wait awhile it looks look...

Thanks for the info, RS. After your post I went looking for the AL.com link and found this:

http://www.al.com/sportsflash/auburn/index...torylist=auburn

Is it the same that you read? One small correction--it says Carl Stewart was 4 rushes for 44 yds. Just a typo, I suspect. I like the sound of 4-44 better than 7-44, however. (Although I guess 7-44 is still averaging over six yards per carry & nothing to sneeze at.)

On Cox:

New Auburn quarterback Brandon Cox had a strong performance Wednesday in the Tigers' first preseason scrimmage.

The sophomore completed 11 of 17 passes for 199 yards and threw for a pair of touchdowns to Anthony Mix in the 75-play situational scrimmage.

"He made good decisions," coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He looked calm and cool under pressure and looked like he is getting better."

Hate to state the obvious, but man, I hope Brandon Cox continues to come on strong and surprizes the hell out of his critics (as well as the other team)!

(This is not intended to be negative, just an observation). IMO, historically more than any other position, when our secondary rocks, our team flirts w/ MNCs. '04, '93 and the late 80s come to mind. I don't mean just statistically, every now and then we have DBs and safeties that every game HOPE a QB throws their way. That seems to be a recipe for sucess in the SEC too. We'll be fine on D but I hope our DBs come around, we have the talent.

Archived