Must be rough being a Vandy fan

StatTiger

This is not to be taken as a "shot" against Vanderbilt but just my take on their recent history.

If you're a Vandy fan, how excited do you get before each season? I recall visiting their board before the 03 season and seeing a post about the pending season. A Vandy poster predicted VU had a good shot at going 5-6.

Their last winning season was in 1982 and they have posted the 110th best win pct in the country since their 8-4 season. Talk about some heartbreaking moments...

Of their 179 losses and 1 tie, 56 have come by 7 pts or less. They have been very close to pulling off some major upsets. They almost spolied our 93 season, they almost defeated UF in 1996 and came close to beating UT this past season. Turn those 56 losses into wins and Vandy would have posted 9 winning seasons over the past 22 years. It would have raised their win pct to 59th in the country rather than 110th.

Just some random thoughts on a VERY hot Sunday...

:au::football::cheer:

I keep hearing rumors that :vandy: is considering dropping Div1 football.

We may be looking for a new SEC East member soon.

Check out this topic from the Vandy board...

http://mb6.scout.com/fvanderbiltfrm1.showM...cID=16455.topic

175328[/snapback]

Oh boy....

If Terry Bowden ever coached at Vandy...and he came to Jordan-Hare...the Auburn nation would not boo vandy coming onto the field...instead, the stadium would erupt into a big laugh.

Its rough enough being an Auburn fan before last year.

I wouldnt want to imagine that torture!

175365[/snapback]

Yeah, well imagine being a :corndog: fan prior to the 2003 season. The name :lsu: is synonymous with choking.

The last time we were at Vandy we sat next to the student section. It looked like they had about 20 students over there and about 5 that were actually watching the game.

Many seem to forget that Vandy has produced some good teams and players over the last twenty years. The Doors just don't have enough talent or depth to compete in the toughest conference in football. They've had several chances at 6-5 and 7-4 seasons over the last twenty years, but have folded in the fourth quarter and failed in the battle of attrition.

Vanderbilt University has two options, in my opinion, for their football program.

1) Lower academic standards for athletes or

2) A move to the ACC or Conference USA

If they did this, then we probably would see the Doors in bowl games a lot more often. And yes, a move to the almighty Pac Ten would help their cause as well.

Furthermore, what most people don't realize is that Vandy is the same type of school as USC, a private institution with rigorous academic standards. I could be wrong about this but USC has lower admissions standards for their athletes, unlike Vandy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Vanderbilt University has a problem with their football program in the SEC because their administration would rather have bad football and academic reputation, as opposed to a vice versa scenario. What they don't realize, however, is they can have both academic reputation and football success. Lower academic standards aren't exactly tantamount to academic futility.

Alex :au::sec:

Many seem to forget that Vandy has produced some good teams and players over the last twenty years. The Doors just don't have enough talent or depth to compete in the toughest conference in football. They've had several chances at 6-5 and 7-4 seasons over the last twenty years, but have folded in the fourth quarter and failed in the battle of attrition.

Vanderbilt University has two options, in my opinion, for their football program.

1) Lower academic standards for athletes or

2) A move to the ACC or Conference USA

If they did this, then we probably would see the Doors in bowl games a lot more often. And yes, a move to the almighty Pac Ten would help their cause as well.

Furthermore, what most people don't realize is that Vandy is the same type of school as USC, a private institution with rigorous academic standards. I could be wrong about this but USC has lower admissions standards for their athletes, unlike Vandy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Vanderbilt University has a problem with their football program in the SEC because their administration would rather have bad football and academic reputation, as opposed to a vice versa scenario. What they don't realize, however, is they can have both academic reputation and football success. Lower academic standards aren't exactly tantamount to academic futility.

Alex :au:   :sec:

175434[/snapback]

They wouldnt survive the ACC either...too many good teams in that conference.

I for one hope Vandy stays in the SEC. It's a great road trip from Huntsville w/ good seats & cheap tickets. :)

175327[/snapback]

That's the truth.

Last time I went I was in 2001.

I was pregnant with Daniel and the seats we baught were about the 40 yard line but up high. I just stoped at the first row in the section and sat down, noone came to claim the seats and it was great.

:big:

The last time I went was two years ago, I guess...the Brandon Jacobs masacre on kickoffs. The stadium looked like "All Auburn, All Orange". Nashville's a good trip from Atlanta...we enjoyed it. :au::homer:

Vandy still has a better history then South Carolina

I love it

175485[/snapback]

:lmao:

Slink, I never thought about it but you are very right... :vandy: has a MNC or two from the early days.

Can someone tell me the benefit of having :usc: added to the :sec: WHEN we added them? What was the thinking? The logic?

Vandy still has a better history then South Carolina

I love it

175485[/snapback]

... Can someone tell me the benefit of having :usc: added to the :sec: WHEN we added them? What was the thinking? The logic?

175574[/snapback]

?? USC was added the same time Arky was in 1992 to make a 12 team league divided into East & West Divisions. Without the SEC adding these two teams, they wouldn't have been able to hold the Championship Game.

Link

... Arkansas and South Carolina began the superconference expansion process when they joined the SEC in 1992, expanding the conference to two six-team divisions.

Broyles decided it was best to move his school out of the struggling Southwest Conference and into the flourishing SEC. South Carolina was an independent before entering the SEC.  ...

I understand the sequence. What I was really addressing was WHY :usc: ?

We could have asked :gt: , USM, La Tech, Tulane, etc. Why :usc: ?

Archived