TD throw to Fair

LPTiger

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

If you have a moment and are interested, go to fifty's highlights and watch the 1st play of the 2nd half TD throw to Fair.   We came out in a 4 wide set, trips left to the long side of the field,  single right on the short side.  The trips to the far side pulls the safety closer to the sideline than the middle of the field.   Fair is lined up in the middle of the trips set.   At the snap, Thorne immediately looks to the single receiver on his right.  Fair and the inside receiver to his right both appear to be running go verticals.   Because of the 4 wide formation, the inside receiver is covered by a backer.  At about 15 yards, Fair and the inside receiver cross with the inside receiver running a sideline drag route and Fair running a post.  As they cross, the D switches off.   Fair is now one on one, with a full head of steam, against a linebacker.   The backer has no chance with Fair's speed, the safety can't get over and Thorne, instead of throwing it 10 yards over his head (aka Birmingham bowl), throws a perfect ball that hits Fair in stride.  BUT, JUST AS IMPORTANT, watch the right tackle, TOO TALL MILLER, and guard.  UMass brings an outside blitz and Too Tall first blocks his man down to the guard, the guard picks him up, and then Too Tall picks up the blitzer and stones him in his tracks.   There is also zero middle penetration so Thorne has a perfectly clean pocket that he can step up into and deliver the ball on-time.    Multiple people, all doing their individual jobs well, results in an easy TD.

i did that myself! man that was a pretty pass and catch. i think thorne will be a lot better after he has that first game under his belt and they allow more of the "O" they have not used yet.

How long has it been since we’ve had such a clean pocket for the QB??? My man Jake Thornton is building us a WALL!!! Hope they can maintain it with stronger competition and praying for player health!!!

• Like 2

One clean pocket play and we celebrate it like we discovered plutonium. 

Really says a lot about what we’ve been used to lately…

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

After several years of kryptonite, plutonium is a welcomed discovery. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, gr82be said:

After several years of kryptonite, plutonium is a welcomed discovery. 

Abso-freaking-lutely!

Edited by Swamp Eagle

58 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We LITERALLY just played an ENTIRE game, a full 60 minutes and not once did an opposing defender get to the QB within .5 seconds of him catching the shotgun snap.  I forgot that such an amazing feat was actually doable.   How many times did Bo Nix catch a snap and immediately have to roll right or left or backwards.   He became so accustomed to it he began to do it even on the very rare occasions where it was unnecessary. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, LPTiger said:

We LITERALLY just played an ENTIRE game, a full 60 minutes and not once did an opposing defender get to the QB within .5 seconds of him catching the shotgun snap.  I forgot that such an amazing feat was actually doable.   How many times did Bo Nix catch a snap and immediately have to roll right or left or backwards.   He became so accustomed to it he began to do it even on the very rare occasions where it was unnecessary. 

I agree with everything u have said here....and btw...Great analysis on the play breakdown. Design and execution of that play were a chef's kiss. 

I just want to add to the above bolded part of your post here....that I also think we have a QB now who will not bail left or right when unwarranted as well. Bo never had a good OL, but even when given a pocket he was really bad about bailing out anyways. So nice to see a QB with the poise in the pocket and will to step up into the pocket and deliver a dime piece. Let PT's part not go unnoticed as well!!!!

edit- Wow. So sorry. I have a terrible habit of when I see something in a post I want to comment on I stop right then and get to it as opposed to reading the last couple lines. I see you called that out the end. Great post!!!!!

Edited by Tigerpro2a
Im a dummy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

If you have a moment and are interested, go to fifty's highlights and watch the 1st play of the 2nd half TD throw to Fair.   We came out in a 4 wide set, trips left to the long side of the field,  single right on the short side.  The trips to the far side pulls the safety closer to the sideline than the middle of the field.   Fair is lined up in the middle of the trips set.   At the snap, Thorne immediately looks to the single receiver on his right.  Fair and the inside receiver to his right both appear to be running go verticals.   Because of the 4 wide formation, the inside receiver is covered by a backer.  At about 15 yards, Fair and the inside receiver cross with the inside receiver running a sideline drag route and Fair running a post.  As they cross, the D switches off.   Fair is now one on one, with a full head of steam, against a linebacker.   The backer has no chance with Fair's speed, the safety can't get over and Thorne, instead of throwing it 10 yards over his head (aka Birmingham bowl), throws a perfect ball that hits Fair in stride.  BUT, JUST AS IMPORTANT, watch the right tackle, TOO TALL MILLER, and guard.  UMass brings an outside blitz and Too Tall first blocks his man down to the guard, the guard picks him up, and then Too Tall picks up the blitzer and stones him in his tracks.   There is also zero middle penetration so Thorne has a perfectly clean pocket that he can step up into and deliver the ball on-time.    Multiple people, all doing their individual jobs well, results in an easy TD.

Thank you for the in depth commentary. We often miss the other things that occur as we are so busy watching the receiver.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

It wasn't just one clean pocket yesterday. Clean pocket was the norm.  UMass talent may not have been great but they did a lot of blitzing and we communicated and picked it up. Last year against lessor teams the blitzes got through.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It wasn't just one clean pocket yesterday. Clean pocket was the norm.  UMass talent may not have been great but they did a lot of blitzing and we communicated and picked it up. Last year against lessor teams the blitzes got through.

I was referring to the one the poster referenced. Yes, he was well-protected.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, 3rdgeneration said:

How long has it been since we’ve had such a clean pocket for the QB??? My man Jake Thornton is building us a WALL!!! Hope they can maintain it with stronger competition and praying for player health!!!

Have you told your husband you have a man crush😀

23 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Have you told your husband you have a man crush😀

He knows all about my message board friends and the fun I have with it. 😂 He goes to 247 to read from time to time, but rarely posts there. My kids, on the other hand, think I’m ridiculous for spending time on here. 🙄 Too bad that they are missing out on all the fun! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1